Sign in to follow this  
VR6_Pete

Traction Control / EDL

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum having the crawled web for 20mins looking for a decent Corrado VR6 forum - and looks like I found one!

I don't know if this is a common question, but:

I don't think my traction control/EDL is working... my ABS works fine, but traction control never seems to cut in, even when one wheel is in mud and you pull away from stationary spinning that wheel like billy-O...

VAG dealer told me they could hook up a computer and check the system etc., but is there any thing else I can do apart from this?

Also, I have read from other owners that the EDL on the Corrado is a poor system and isn't worth having (some1 even said it was a death trap!?), so is it possible that mine has been disabled? What's the verdict on it?

Cheers,

Any help/comments appreciated.

Pete.

EDL = crap, don't worry about it... ;) It's not dangerous, it's just not very good...

Welcome to The Forum by the way... 8)

EDL = crap, don't worry about it... ;) It's not dangerous, it's just not very good...

Is it so 'crap' that you can't notice it working, or do you mean that I shouldn't waste any time trying to get it working...?

Cheers.

you won't notice it "working"... All it's supposed to do is to pulse the brakes on the side where the wheel is spinning below about 10mph so that the power HAS to go to the wheel which isn't spinning...

In reality, it's not quick enough or powerful enough to work with any great success... :|

I thought that in the situation I described above:

one wheel is in mud and you pull away from stationary spinning that wheel like billy-O

you would be able to hear/feel the system working... but I can't detect anthing working.

So are there any programmers on this site who could re-program the system to work like the VW designers intended it to - just a thought!

I know other manufacturers/cars (i.e. Volvo C70 T5), which use the same concept of traction control (EDL) which actually work... why did VW fail?

Cheers.

The traction control won't work over a certain speed.

A good test is to get in on some snow or ice- wind down the windows and spin the wheels hard in first. As the speed of the wheels drops down below 20 odd mph the EDL will kick in and you will hear the familiar ABS sound.

I believe the cut-off speed is 25Mph.

You may be right - that when I have expected it to work the wheel may have been spinning above 25Mph, especially if the other wheel is not turning, you must be able to achieve a single wheel spin of 60+Mph in first gear with the help of the diff :!:

I will have to try and persuade it to work! But if it is working on mine - I agree with Henny that the system is very poor!

Cheers,

Pete.

The way "modern" traction control programs work is two fold - braking the spinning wheel (like the Corrado's EDL) *and* cutting engine power (misfiring it).

The only really *good* way of doing a limited slip diff is to actually USE a limited slip diff, everything else is a waste of time, mostly.

You *can* feel the EDL working though, I would say, but as pointed out the gearbox output shaft has to be turning at below 25mph road speed. You will feel/hear a vibration, but then, since you're spinning your wheels it's likely that there's too much other vibration to notice it properly.

The EDL only works under a certain throttle limit too. For instance, at WOT it doesn't even bother trying. I think it's less that 50% throttle it works (i'm quite sure its lower than that, but cant remember)

The only time i've had it work was in snow at low speed and small amounts of throttle usage!!! It almost makes a groaning noise whens it working as if to say.. "I cant rely be botheres with this!!"

Timo.