Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Finally.. quiet heater!

Just spent the last 25 minutes swapping the heater fan motor under my dash for a new unit from GSF (expensive but something I should never have to do again) - what a difference! Obviously its now silent compared to before with the squeaking and vibrating noises but it seems about 2x more powerful! Switching it round to #4 was like standing in front of a bloody great fan!

Thats one job thats been on my list to do for ages! :)

£65 including the VAT! Very steep but I just decided i'd get a new one and be done with it.

A few people have just said to me I should have just gone to a scrap yard for one off a MK2 Golf as they are the same item - the only thing you'd need to swap would be the resistor pack / connector from the Corrado one as its specific to the Corrado and quite expensive to replace if you accidentally throw it out with the old fan.

If you are happy to wait to get one delivered though, I think ECP do it for £46 before VAT so should work out cheaper - but I just wanted to go on Saturday and get the bloody thing ;)

Sounds steep alright, the fan in my golf is slightly noisy on the lowest speed setting. Does anyone know if anything can be done to help matters or do I have to splash out on a new one as Jim has done???

Well i've been reading into this pretty extensively before deciding to splash out but everyone says buying a 2nd hand one and taking it apart to grease up all the bearings will shut it up and prolongue the life of it a bit.. but then other people have said that once it squeaks and makes odd noises that the damage is already done and no amount of grease will stop it from dying eventually.

But in the great sea that is the expense of Corrado ownership, £65 is a drop in the ocean really.

I cleaned and re lubricated the fan on my Mk2 3 years ago and its still ok.

Just done the fan on my C over christmas, it was full of dust, but all cleaned and greased now and its lovely again.

The trouble with getting a s/hand MK2 one from a scrappy is you'll need to go through half a dozen of them before you find a quiet one.

Once the fan motor bearing starts squawking permanently, it's FUBAR and no amount of lube will cure it permanently.

unless you replace the crappy brass bushes with ball race bearings like i did.

runs comletely silent and no vibration, it runs so freely that it spins when the fan is switched off with the air is moving through the fan 8)

unless you replace the crappy brass bushes with ball race bearings like i did.

runs comletely silent and no vibration, it runs so freely that it spins when the fan is switched off with the air is moving through the fan 8)

Good plan! One for the "How to..." area I feel :wink:

will probably take it apart and take some photo's this weekend then

the bearings i used where from an old radio controlled petrol monster truck stub axle i will have to get the micrometer out and measure them

the only problem i had was getting the fan to grip the shaft again after removing it as it slid down the shaft i sorted that out by removing the small metal gripper and tapped 3 small grub screws into the fan around the shaft (i suppose i could have drilled a small hole through the fan and the shaft and just used a pin but i wanted it to be more serviceable)

My blowers previously only worked on level 4. fixed that by replacing the resistor pack. Now I have the option of using 1-3 I can't because of the noise coming from the fan. Can someone describe how best to remove the offending item. I haven't really investigated yet and I want to see if I can shut it up.

cheers.

My fan is intermittent.... I leave it switched to 4 all the time and some days it will cut in and run for 5-10 mins then not again for a few days...

I will sort it out one day! Dunno if it's the fan, the switch or bad wiring... probably all 3!

could be worn brushes on the motor........did it get gradually worse??
It's been like that since I got the car so it could be anything...

how do you get the bugger off anyway? i ended up spraying grease into mine to shut it up.. lasted about 3 weeks lol

There is a little clip right around the back that you need to lever up first, and then yea.. twist it about 30 degrees and it will just drop out. Simple as that really! :)

mines noisey on slower speeds when i've left it a few days but goes ok after a while, might look into a new one tho

cheers jim ,some good info in here

My blowers previously only worked on level 4. fixed that by replacing the resistor pack. Now I have the option of using 1-3 I can't because of the noise coming from the fan. Can someone describe how best to remove the offending item. I haven't really investigated yet and I want to see if I can shut it up.

cheers.

I have the same fault. fan only works on 4. 1-3 is totally dead -- The volt meter shows no current positions 1-3 . How do I fix this. WHERES THE "RESISTOR PACK" :scratch:

The resistor pack is the plate that fits onto the heater blower - identifiable by the two wires leading to it - it simply unclips from the heater blower