Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Electric Window Problem

Hey all,

Am having problems with the electric windows on my C. The drivers side was working fine and then all of a sudden would only work intermittently. Now it refuses to go up or down using the switch, however, when the switch is pressed you can hear the window control unit in the rear clicking away as if it's trying to get the window to go up / down. Now the passenger side has developed the same problem but still works 90% of the time. Does anyone have any ideas on what may be the cause as it's driving me crazy and don't want to end up stuck somewhere with window down etc.

Cheers,

BigEastSideVWG60

mine was the same when the window control module packed up

i took it apart all seemed fine inside but windows still never worked put a new one in and voila all ok

funk

Might be worthwhile taking the door cards off and applying a voltage directly to the motors to make sure they're functioning correctly.If so then as funky says, replace the control unit.

I think they're the same across the range regardless of age.

slam ur door hard,,, mine did this since i slammed never did it again

A hammer engineer at heart are we??

Now it refuses to go up or down using the switch, however, when the switch is pressed you can hear the window control unit in the rear clicking away as if it's trying to get the window to go up / down.

My car has developed this problem, it was working perfectly up to yesterday morning, now it refuses to come down, when you press the switch you can hear the control unit in the rear quarter and the lights on the dash dim but the window doesn't move. Is the motor jammed or the glass stuck?

As I say it was perfect, I even regreased the runners when I had the trim of for cleaning!

Any ideas

Cheers

Dusty

I'v recently had this sort of problem. My passenger window kept jamming about an inch from fully closing. I heard the motor going and also a slight grating noise as it almost reached the top. After taking the door card off for a closer look and trying the window a few times, the corroded and severed end of a cable (not unlike a bike brake cable) appeared. Due to most of the mechanism being behind panels I can't see what it is attached to, and what it was attached to. The window is now held up with 'cable ties'. I'm in desperate need of some advice on how to remedy this, please...

mine did the same thing today, A little yellow plastic thing has broke that holds the cable about an inch from the top so when it pulls it doesnt work right, the window will go down but not up!! cant get my hand in there to remove and fix yellow thing so must got to shop....

Well I still haven't got mine fixed yet, but have bought the whole mechanism off of E-bay (motor, cables...etc). Being the pasanger side, it only cost me about £25 inc p+p. I just need to find someone willing to fit it as I'v been told its a nightmare to do, and my manual says you have to take the door off - which I'm a bit dubious about...I have seen a lot of the mechanisms for sale on e-bay - they're not like rocking horse s**t, but have seen the drivers side go for as much as £95. I'll take mine to a shop to get sorted soon, I need it working for the summer....

Yeah, I found a used one here for $65.00 but new they are $167.50 here passenger side and the driver side is $111.50?? It made no sense to me why the drives side is less...And a shop up the street from m esaid they will put it in for $60 so thats not bad Except for the fact that my timing belt slipped yesterday and now they are saying that only 3 of my cylendars are getting compression!! new head time.

Sorry to hear about your timing belt - thats not good, but at least you'll have your window fixed.... Is a bit weird that the drivers side is cheaper over there. I'v had to put fixing mine on hold while I sort out all of the other problems that were picked up when I had it serviced yesterday...It's going to cost me a small fortune. I'm going to get the timing belt changed aswell, just in case...

Is your mirror switch in good working order? Had a similar problem with the windows in my first valver- took it to 3 garages and none of them could find the fault. Out of desperation I decided to change the door electricals, and luckily I started with the mirror switch, which solved it all! Everything worked perfectly after it was changed.

Driving home from Awesome today. Suddenley my drivers window won't work! A sought of clicking then nothing. Where is the control unit?

When I press the button I can hear something trying to work??

At least its up at the mo. :lol:

What did you get done at Awesome?

Hi mate.

I had a four wheel alignment done. Great people in there. Car drives a treat and now I have 200 miles on the charger it is really starting to pull. Been keeping it under 3000 revs till its run in.

On the bad front...

Since I owned the car I have had a weird Power Steering leak. No idea where the fluid is going but it keeps going down.

The guy at Awesome found it by sheer chance. When he put the car on the ramp, another tech in the workshop found a curve of fluid on the floor. Everybody started to look for the source. Nobody could find it on any car in there. No trail in the shop nor pool in the parking area.

It was my car. The centre telescopic joint is leaking but only under full lock. He said you as in me would have never found that till it really went. I was loosing a little on each journey made. So now a new rack is needed :p

They quoted me £247 all in including full fluid change to the correct green fluid mine is red, pump flush and if I take the car there he won't charge me again to setup the alignment...

A rack at my local shop is £195 plus a £100 surcharge :shock: May aswell let Awesome do it really.

So where is the window module !!!!

Where is the control unit?

its behind the drivers side rear 1/4 card m8 :)

those mechanisms can be a fecker to get out :roll: quite a few rivets to drill out which is ok,but its just getting the thing out the door!

sort of needs bringing out sideways after removing the glass from the regulater.

neil.

Where is the control unit?

its behind the drivers side rear 1/4 card m8 :)

those mechanisms can be a fecker to get out :roll: quite a few rivets to drill out which is ok,but its just getting the thing out the door!

sort of needs bringing out sideways after removing the glass from the regulater.

neil.

Cheers Riley.

So it could be the actual window mech :roll: Great. Still these cars are getting on in years.

As an edit

I just removed the rear quarter panel to see what lies beneath!

Wow thats big looks like a componenet frpm a 50's mainframe :lol:

Do any other VW's carry the same component. Say mk2 Golf's? If so might where they be located? Same place?

It made no sense to me why the drives side is less

Assume its because you're in a left hand drive mate 8)

Well Fitted a new control module for the window....Still did not work :p

Decided to strip the door today and found...

Guess its a whole new mechanisam then???? Yes or No