Sign in to follow this  
Neil VR6

Bonnet Vents

Is it at all wothwhile to vent the bonnet? I know that most Max Power pikeys who vent their bonnets do more harm than good by effectively pressurising the engine bay and causing heat build up. Would a couple of carefully placed backwards facing louvres do anything for under bonnet temperatures? My only other worry would be rain getting in when parked. The car is parked outside all the time and I don't much fancy water running all over the engine. Any thoughts or wise words?

I would've thought that a decent cold air feed would outweigh any benefits that could be gained by having bonnet vents....

I've had an oil cooler fitted but oil temps still get to around 108 on occassions. The coolant and oil was all flushed through a few weeks ago and the engine's in good order. I also use a stock airbox so it gets decent cool air?

Do you have a grille with the vents opened up? Might help a bit more cold air into the engine bay.

With regards to a cold air feed, I'm talking about running some ducting from the airbox down into the area behind the front bumper.

corrados lines dont suit a vent imo :(

open up the grille and bumper to get as much air through as possible sounds like the plan :)

The VR would benefit from bonnet vents to expel hot air from under the bonnet but as mentioned already, they would look naff on a Corrado.

one of my friends slightly propped up the back of his bonnet to allow hot air to escape, only a couple of mill, but it was enough to allow a higher air flow and did drop the trmp, it would work on a corrado too as it has no obvious scuttle panel, but you have to decide is it a show or a go car, he had a very definate go car! (btw he had a mk2 golf)

Taking the scuttle seal out would do the same thing....and then the air flow over the car at speed will draw hot air out of the engine bay through the gap where the scuttle seal used to be. In theory at least :D

its air flow you want, not more air getting in, just more air getting out, maybe louver the entire bonnet :lol:

Pablo's got a plan, wasnt there a vr6 mk2 with a chromed engine and no bonnet in one of the mags a few years back?

one of my friends slightly propped up the back of his bonnet to allow hot air to escape, only a couple of mill, but it was enough to allow a higher air flow and did drop the trmp, it would work on a corrado too as it has no obvious scuttle panel, but you have to decide is it a show or a go car, he had a very definate go car! (btw he had a mk2 golf)

wouldnt that also let any fumes or even smoke into the inside of the car in the event of an engine fire as the bonnet would not be sitting on the rubber strip that seals the engine bay from the scuttle panel ?

108degrees doesnt seem anything to worry about

i saw a vid of a mk2 with all shiny gold/chrome engine parts but it was a G60 afaik.

looked mad seeing it running with no bonnet - engine took a mad jump when he floored it :D

@coolrado, if the engine went on fire, i wouldnt hang about to see if the fumes got into the car or, not, i have been that soldier and its a hell of a lot nicer to see these thing as early as you can

there is a seal there to stop water leaking in, but we all look after our cars and most are after more power so the seal is a small price to pay for the possable power gains, heat is the enemy of a high power engine!

by removing the seal or lifting the back of the bonnet it will allow a much greater airflow through every part of the engine and drop water and ambient temp of the engine

i rekon it will work and once i get my corrado back i will be doing it :lol:

thanks Kev

i was just thinking if you where tanking it down one of those 4 lane private roads :wink: and a water hose or expansion cap failed the cabin would fill up with steam pretty quickly and leave you with bugger all visability.

could using some good size ducting from the top rear of the engine bay to underneath the car not draw plenty of hot air out of the engine bay ?

Now I have got my flame suit on.

I have got bonnet vents, and raised the rear of the bonnet and mine runs at around 90° and my oil is usually just over 100°

As well as having an opened up grill and bumper.

Hmmm....

Before I direct the lynch mob to your home address, a few observations/questions: :D

Given that the base of the windcreen is one of the highest air-pressure areas on the car when it is moving (how do you think the ventilation system works with the fan off), what makes you think any air from under the bonnet would escape rather than being forced back in?

VW went to a lot of trouble to seal the rear edge of the bonnet suggesting that they were trying to make the air flowing into the engine bay go somewhere else. In the event that any air is escaping from the rear of the bonnet following your mods, what do you think is now being left to cook?

:snipersmile: