Sign in to follow this  
Neil VR6

Bonnet Vents

mike i am puzzled, i am just talking about air flow?

i also was saying that a friend had done it before in his mk2 turbo, like kev's old one, and it DID reduce the in bay engine temp as there was an air flow.

What i have done is to remove the number plate recess to allow air flow in my corrado :rambo: :batman: :lol:

That's airflow in. If you raise the rear of the bonnet, when you get the car moving you'll find that that also results in airflow in - and sod-all down the back of the engine (where the exhaust and engine wiring loom are...)

BTW, my VR runs at even lower temperatures - but this is more to do with the age of the sensors than actual temperatures, as it used to run with an oil temp of 114 on the motorway and coolant temp of 90.

That's airflow in. If you raise the rear of the bonnet, when you get the car moving you'll find that that also results in airflow in - and sod-all down the back of the engine (where the exhaust and engine wiring loom are...)

BTW, my VR runs at even lower temperatures - but this is more to do with the age of the sensors than actual temperatures, as it used to run with an oil temp of 114 on the motorway and coolant temp of 90.

Mike, ther's seems to be a bit of conjecture in your statement. Someone is going to have to vent a bonnet, and see where the airflow goes. Probably using a small smoke pellet just behind the grill - anyone got a disused airfield we can use :(

Just a thought, but as we don't have access to a wind tunnel, would the fans used by stealth or Star Performance suffice? Mmmm!

DubSports 20v 4x4 (bronze one) ran with the bonnet raised at the rear to draw hot air out. Tracksport (who built the VR6 mid engine rear wheel drive Golf) also custom make carbon fibre bonnets that are raised at the rear to draw air out.

I myself don't understand the theory behind it other than knowing that the air flow above the bonnet actually aids in drawing the air out, as opposed to forcing it back in.

The vents have to be forwards of the high pressure area immediately in front of the windscreen, otherwise it only works at low speeds.

This assumes that you're try to get air out of the engine bay - you may want to get air in for some reason.

Note: I'm talking about a Corrado - not other VW products (standard or modified).

DubSports 20v 4x4 (bronze one) ran with the bonnet raised at the rear to draw hot air out. Tracksport (who built the VR6 mid engine rear wheel drive Golf) also custom make carbon fibre bonnets that are raised at the rear to draw air out.

I myself don't understand the theory behind it other than knowing that the air flow above the bonnet actually aids in drawing the air out, as opposed to forcing it back in.

:? As far as im aware the reason for the bonnetts being rasied at the back is NOT to let heat out...It sucks cold air in to help cool the back of the engine bay. think about what air does when it hits the bottom of your winscreen **ventrui effect** down it goes into the back of the engine bay.

@mike, we will agree to differ, i do agree about low speed tghough, like in traffic, or town driving, when most cars temp creeps up

at high speed your rad and the entire front of the car is acting as a vent, all a bonnet vent would serve to do is increase drag and thus fuel consumption

i personally have the rear of the bonnet raised, led to belive i'll remove the hot air from the mainfold well help anyway, also have 6 small vents above the charger and filter on the other side, it all helps

well, neil it all depends on what kind of oil cooler you fitted. 226 F or 108C is pretty high for a corrado, at the time you get 108 are you pushing the rrado or is it just chillin. if you are pushing it then you are ok, if you arent then you need an oil pump. hopefully your senders work. or be like me and get a Eurosport heavy duty oil cooler kit with a radiator style cooling system. 150 US without removing stock cooler. 200 US with removing stock cooler. keeps your temp at about 82C or 180F I am in northern california so do some climate adjustments

108C is about average running temp for a standard G60/VR6... The thermostats on most after market oil coolers only open at 90C, so I'm not sure how you're running at 82C... :|

If you've got a VR6, get a 160deg Neuspeed thermostat from Awesome GTi, since I fitted one to mine, the oil temperature never seems to go above 90C in heavy traffic or if I'm being enthusiastic with the throttle. I've got a Neuspeed 180deg fan switch on its way too.

You're only around £15 each for either item, so it would be silly not to, and would save you chopping up holes in your car.

Not sure how that effects G60's though, but I know the fan switch will fit them, I think Neuspeed do a 180deg thermostat for them too, check out Awesome GTi's website.

Raising the bonnet at the rear DOES suck the hot air out.that how bonnet vents on rs turbos and cossie work.as the air flows over the bonnet,the draws the air out of bonnet up over windscreen

Yeah, Flusted is right, air is drawn OUT by lifting the rear of the bonnet. Simply because when the car is moving forward air flow is backwards relative to the car. The air above the gap in the bonnet is effectively pushed away leaving a quasi-vacuum, which pulls air out. Opposite effect if you're going in reverse though.