Sign in to follow this  
thorpey

heater matrix replaced

i am in the middle of replacing heater matrix(well my good mate is) what a fucking pain in the ass,the whole dashboard has to come out!! i have a question for VW why put it there and why not make the pipe work out of stainless steel,nightmare on corrado street haha

Another "design quirk".. They never think about the poor sap who owns the car in ten years time, just the poor sap who pays £23k for the thing when it's new. ( == ~ £32k in today's money!! )

This may destroy you mate but you dont actually have to take the whole dash board out its not that hard to do it with the dash still in, bit of a squeeze on one of the pipes but its no that bad

I've read it's possible without removing the dash, too. Someone did a write-up. But no piccies.. A write-up with piccies would be a huge benefit.

I am hoping that the dash in my Passat can stay in. Just paid a oner for a genuine matrix. LHD cars only with aircon. Unbelievably MK keep them in stock and it was at the stealers at 7.30 this morning!!

Wish me luck. Will be a tough job with hardly any tools.

Gavin

Note to self.

Passat heater matrix fits require 2 well trained mechanics. The dash does have to come out and the aircon re-gassed. Mine had no gas in it, so the environment will live another day......

Only superheroes can seperate the airbox from the aircon. Mortals will have to remove the dash completely.

4 hours so far and it's now too cold. Another little job to finish in the morning. Just re-assembling to do.

If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen.

Gavin

This may destroy you mate but you dont actually have to take the whole dash board out its not that hard to do it with the dash still in, bit of a squeeze on one of the pipes but its no that bad

You could be my new best friend :lol: Tell me more before i decide to go ahead and rip the Dash out :o

Right ill take some snaps, my heater box is back in and so are some of the ducts but i rekon with wots left it will make a decent how-to and you guys will get the idea

P.S i hope none of you mind getting mangled knuckles or sore knees, but if not its not that bad a job

well job has been done ,trying to do it with the dash in seemed impossible,so if you did do it with the dash well done,the job takes a while to do but is worth it i have a lovely warm car now,if you want it done and live in sussex my mate will do it for a very good price contact me mailto:[email protected] or 07963271919 thanks pete

Ok i really need to attempt this job at the weekend.

Harry, can you provide a how too doing it your way. I would like to make this as easy as possible.

If not can anyone else point me in the direction of a Heater Matrix Replacement How to, I believe there is one on the CCA forum but I can't locate it.

I don't think it's possible to do with the dash in. Taking out the dash is not that bad IMO..It's going to be a most of the day job though.

I am glad it went last week and not this, with the state of the weather..

Gavin

Gavin, can you point me in the direction of anywhere that tells me how to do it???

I wil be ordering some headlight looms in the very near future :) PM me with price and how i go about ordering. Thanks

I replaced mine about 2 month's ago not difficult just time consuming.

I decided to take the dash out alltogether alot easier than struggling with it in.

Mine's got aircon fitted to and i didnt have to disconnect any of the aircon system to get the matrix out :)

Ok it may not be difficult but really I dont even have a clue where to start, if somebody could just give a few pointers as to where to start and what to watch out for along the way it could maybe cut down on the time it takes.

I cant believe there are no guides on how to do this when it's a notorious corrado problem.

Any help at all :?

That looks a good link. Wish I had this when I tackled mine 2 months ago. Although like everyone has already said, it's a time consuming job, but not all that hard. Just don't lose any screws as you go along and just be methodical.

Been putting it off since November but with snow here last week and worse weather forcast, i think i need to tackle it this weekend as I have a free one.

I have the new Matrix but would there be anything else i might need before i start???

Finally started this today and this may seem strange but I am actually enjoying it.

I am using the guide from the link above and it's actually quite simple.

It also gives you a good chance to clean all the parts of the dash throughly and sort of understand the electrics behind there.

I have thought of doing other mods to the dash and now I have done this realise how easy some of them can be.

Worthwhile job to do and soon I'll have lovely heat and clear windows while driving :D

Finally started this today and this may seem strange but I am actually enjoying it.

I am using the guide from the link above and it's actually quite simple.

It also gives you a good chance to clean all the parts of the dash throughly and sort of understand the electrics behind there.

I have thought of doing other mods to the dash and now I have done this realise how easy some of them can be.

Worthwhile job to do and soon I'll have lovely heat and clear windows while driving :D

I cleaned all the dash part's on mine while it was out :oops:

It also gave me the chance to make the aircon setup a bit better i don't think they did a good job when it was fitted originally...