Sign in to follow this  
ray_vr6

paint protection following respray

Hi

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the various options for paint work protection.

I have the VR6 in for a front end (doors all the way forward) respray and wondered if its worth going to some some like zebart and getting a "protective coating" applied. Or am I as well off spending time with my zymol waxes.

Zymol is just a polish, it is brilliant stuff, the condisioners in the poish are really good for your paint, some of the Zymol range has to be applied with your hand as your hands are softer that a cloth and the polish need to be free of any oxides from the cloth!

Try it!

Would not use a polish on fresh paint...............

Use a Wax instead with 'carnuba' in it.

The paint is lacqured, you can polish a car that has been painted, give it 2 weeks and the paint is sured to be settled. I left mine for 2 weeks, the body shop who painted the car then moped the car and told me to polish it to bring back the colour.

The mop is to get all the tiny bits off maybe overspray etc out and then to give it a good polish, then I ultra glossed it and it looks stunning.

I am not saying your wrong, but my car looks great and that the procedure I did.

If your in doubt call your body shop or an independant shop. Just say that you would want to book your car in for a polish and ask him what they would do then hang up or say you will call them later when you know that your diary is free or some excuse!!

Thats what i thought also, but my car is getting some bits sorted at this minute and the painter said that it is ok to apply straight away :shock: .

I do trust his judgment as he is the leading sprayer in VW/BMW repair shop

Aberdeen :D

Any more views would clear the minds also?

i was told that a few years ago though..maybe now its different with all these new paints and oven drying techniques

Painters have just told me the score.

Do not polish for 2 weeks if it has been painted with cellulose paint(old cars) :shock:

Its ok with modern cars which use 2 pac(?) paint,to polish straight away.

Hope thats as clear as mud :D

Just picked the VR6 up from paint shop and very pleased with the result. Not cheap (£813) but they have done an excellent job. Asked the guys about the best thing to do and they have said to just wax.

So next week when I get back home - it will be a full day valeting inside and out plus it will be zymol time!

:D

FYI, Swissol & Zymol are waxes not polishes. I am not talking about the Cleaner Wax from Halfords, but the pukka tubs of nice smelling wax. The are minimum 30% carnauba wax by volume as well.

Virtually all the paint shops now are using the two pack paint and it is totally dry by the time the car gets to you areter being in the bake oven.

Therefore there should be no problem with applying a high grade wax , not polish, to the new paint to protect it.

John.

in car handbooks these days it says never polish the car for 6months and never use a car wash in that period too

Indeed... isn't that where all of those horrible swirls come from on car paint?