Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

benifits of a 10" sub over a 12"?

I've currently got a fairly cheap 12" sub, before that I ran a 10" for a month until the dodgy amp I had at the time killed it. I've been toying with the idea of going back to a 10" this afternoon to save boot space but wondered what you guys thought? I'm not too fussed about stupidly high volumes, just nice clean punchy bass when its needed.

a 10 inch would give a more punchier sound than a twelve if all other factors remain the same, a twelve would drop more meaning better lower frequency base

Yeah a 10 generally gives more punch, especially when sealed. I've got a 10 in a ported box and that provides both punch and depth :D , but not as much as a 12 though. Trouble is though, a ported 12" usually requires a huge box!

space is the main issue really, the box i have used to wedge in just nicely between the 'hump' of the spare wheel and the wheelarch, but since i've now got a spare borbet in the boot the humps bigger and the box doesnt fit anymore. It's currently laying on its back with the sub facing up towards the bottoms of the 6x9's (only way it'll fit!) which obviously isnt ideal. I thought about a false floor but thats not really going to help as the magnets on my 6x9's are HUGE and the sub box wont fit in upright if the floor is the same height as the top of the hump!

This is why I am looking at arranging a moulded sub GB mate :wink:

My thinking is a fibreglass moulded cabinet that's sculpted to the inner arch and then fires through the OE rear speaker grille. The baffle would then come out as far as the shelf support and drop to the floor. It would have to go on the nearside cavity as their's not much room on the offside one due to the petrol flap and central locking gubbins....

Sorry meant to press smilies button but hit submit. Must be time for lunch break!!

What I was going on to say was I got a Focal 11" in the boot and I love it. Best of both worlds I would hazard to say! It really drops well but isnt stupid if im listening to mellow music. Looking forward to coupling it to the the GB door pods...... :)

Sorry meant to press smilies button but hit submit. Must be time for lunch break!!

What I was going on to say was I got a Focal 11" in the boot and I love it. Best of both worlds I would hazard to say! It really drops well but isnt stupid if im listening to mellow music. Looking forward to coupling it to the the GB door pods...... :)

You've prolly got the same box I have then :lol:

I looked at the 11" Focal but the ported cab for it would be a tad large, so opted for the Lotus 10" instead....which goes seriously low! Bass and space have always been a headache to get right in a car!

nice idea kev! I looked at the autoacoustics site for a 'stealthbox' when I first got the sub, but they dont list the C, depending on costs i'd be interested in that. I'll hang fire on anything for now until the GB comes up!

Agreed, but if you've not worked with fibreglass before, you can balls it up very easily and DIY'ers probably won't know how to tune the box to the sub's thiele small paramters. The Autoacoustics boxes are pretty expensive and they're not as good as Audioscape's. I'm not just saying that because I'm friendly with them, they're just not.

James has got a pic of a MK2 Golf one they made, I'll post it up when he sends it, which will give you some idea of what it will like in the C.

Due to the space constraints, I reckon an isobaric cabinet is the way to go, but they need lots of grunt as they're an inefficient design...but drop through the floor :lol:

thiele small - pah ;)

any sealed box I ever did was small - 0.6 cu ft. with sealed getting the exact volume doesnt matter so I built small and used wadding - always got a nice clean punchy sound - PERFECT :D