Sign in to follow this  
vr-man

Engine cuts out after 1 second

Hi,

I've done lots of forum searching on this one. My VR6 will start properly for a few weeks then develop a starting fault. No matter how many times I start it or how much I rev I give it, the engine will fire up then die completely 1 second after firing up. Then a few days later all will be fine. It seems to be worse during the colder months.

The posts I've read seem to suggest a faulty factory fitted immobilizer. So I did some investigation and this showed the VW immobilzer ( Reader Coil e.t.c. ) is either faulty or no longer a part of the immobilization system.

The after-market alarm/immob system is ok as I've had it checked. I'm guessing that the after-market system immobilizer may have taken the place of the VW one, which would leave me with an engine sensor fault to sort out.

I wonder if any one else has had a similar problem.

Take it to a gararge which has VAG-COM, get it plugged in (if you can start it :wink: )

It will most likely narrow down the problem.

If your car is a '95, the problem may lie with the transponder in your key or the coil next to the key barrel which picks up the key code

If you've got a spare key, try using that. The stealers charge £50 to have your key code reset

When you say it "dies" does it stop instantly, as if all power/fuel was removed, or does it kind of splutter to a halt?

Do the dash lights come on when it happens? (I.e. charging and oil pressure etc)

Thanks for your suggestions.

When the engine cuts out its instant as if all power and fuel is stopped. I havn't noticed if the charging and oil pressure lights stay on when it has cut out. Its starting ok at the moment so will note next time. Funny thing is I have disconnected the Reader coil to investigate and its running!! Thats why I thought maybe the VW immobilizer could be redundant in my system.

I think connecting to VAG-COM is the way forward at the moment to see if the ECU is communicating to the VW immobilizer. A bad earth also sounds a possibility.

Hi, I have the same issue, probably starts and dies once in 30 starts or so. What I do, which could be just luck, is I blimp my cobra alarm inside the car so it locks, then unlock and she starts straight away. I had my car plugged into a snap on fault reader and the code 17978 '' engine start blocked by immobilizer.Ive also had 01176 Key signal too low and 00546 Dara wiring faulty not a plausible signal.

Will try the above suggestion to clean earthing contacts and take it from their. Have you changed your coil reader to see if that sorted it?

Definitely check the connections to the immobiliser control box which sits behind the driver's side dash undertray. This reads the signal coming from the reader coil and sends it to the ECU.

check fuses. then:

unlock car

turn on ignition

have a cup of tea........ oh go on then have a biscuit too

make sure you dont rush the tea (give it 10mins)

turn car over

has happened a few times to me. cost me a new starter on my old C as i didnt know this trick and kept turning it over ruining it.

then it happened again while on a date!! :D very nice man from RAC came out who used to work at VW and did the above (apart from the brew) I could have kissed him!! But didnt - after all I was on a date :lol:

Hope this helps buddy :)