Sign in to follow this  
theRuler

My vr6 has 2 running modes . . .

Sadly not normal and "super pursuit"

mode 1 (bearable)

tickover at 500 rpm, runs a bit flat, stalls a bit

mode 2 (chitty chitty bang bang)

tickover at 1100 rpm. when you touch the throttle, the revs drop by about 700 rpm, it almost dies, then picks up again. crazy misfires before 2000 rpm. even when moving. tries to stall at every junction. if it does stall. its a slags ass to start. and when it does start you have to literally floor it and wait for it to get above 2000 rpm, back in the driveable area.

it switches randomly between these 2 modes, regardless of engine temperature. the cold start routine works ok, and it starts ok ish from cold. but if mode 2 kicks in during cold start, the tickover goes up to 1500rpm. and i sound like old ma revs when i pull away.

its been doing this for a long time. in that time i have changed the plugs and leads. it made no difference. its done 150k.

Maybe the lambda sensor? I've had problems when it will run fine, then switch as you say and won't idle and feel rough. Does your exhaust look sooty and black? Vag-com reported an inplausable lambda reading and resorts to over-fuelling. MPG changes dramatically, normal driving 25ish when running well, 10ish when running bad due to the lambda. New sensor is about £75.00 from VW.

if i take it to the vw garage can they check for dodgy lambda with their vag com thing?

i am very sceptical of the vw dealers. they charge so much yet know so little.

Have you checked the plugs? First point of diagnosis at least has to be whether it's too rich or too lean, or if it's just missing due to HT.

Dieing when you touch the throttle sounds like it could be lean, but that's not vr6-specific knowledge speaking.

hth,

--

Olly

If nothing comes up on VAG-COM, I have a feeling it could be your idle valve or you have an air leak somewhere. If not then it could be the old favourite - the MAF sensor!

air leak?

i just went and had a look under the bonnet

there is this thing i noticed. its a pipe that leads from near the throttle, and joins at the rocket cover. its got a plastic flange thing at the rocker cover end. its snapped. the culprit? what does it do anyway?

Yes I was going to suggest it sounds like a stuck/sticky ISV.

That hose is unlikely to cause the severity of the problems you're experiencing... IMHO.

That hose is the crankcase breather valve, aka the PCV for some reason I suspect..

Yep that's what I'd call an air leak. Unmetered air is entering the engine courtesy of the snapped breather filter. You need to pop down to ford and get a new valve off a Galaxy V6. About £20 I think they are.