Sign in to follow this  
fla

flushing the radiator

Just a though chaps, what do you think is the feasibility of flushing the radiator (engine switched off)by removing the thermostat, closing the thermo housing and flush water with a hose from the bottom inlet hose to clean out any crap? When the engine is cold the thrmo is closed and wont permit any circulation through the radiator. If you just remove the top hose and flush through (engine off) the water just drops down the side runner of the radiator and doestn enter the tubes. I'd be interedted in comments here.

What condition is your coolant in mate? If it's not brown and murky I really wouldn't overly concern yourself with doing that to be honest.

If it needs doing though, drain the block as discussed before, disconnect the bottom hose at the thermostat housing end (if you can get to it on your car - I know yours is aircon and auto), disconnect the top hose and then flush the rad that way. Do a reverse flush aswell.

Coolant is blue and I'm replacing it with G12+ so i just wanted rid of all the old muck in the system. Dont think its ever been changed and the previous owner just topped it up so i dont know what kind of mixture there is there. Plus there was a hissing sound under the left side of the dash (another thread of mine) when the cooling fans trip in (at about 100C) which I am hoping to isolate. Does it help to keep the heater on full to remove coolant from the matrix (obviously after the car has been run and water circulated in the system)?

the heater matrix is ALWAYS in circuit on a Corrado. The heater controls just move air guide flaps which either put air through the matrix (heat) or straight from outside (cool)

the heater matrix is ALWAYS in circuit on a Corrado.

Ah, useful info! I didn't know that. I really do learn something new everyday :)

Was that the same for the Golf btw?

The MKI golf DEFINATELY had valves which stopped the water getting into the matrix to make it cooler... I think the MKII had the air flap arrangement the same as the Corrado where the matrix is always at the same temp as the coolant... 8)

I'd guess MKIII onwards also use the same method as the Corrado, but I've yet to dismantle one, so I can't say for definate... 8)

Ah, useful info! I didn't know that. I really do learn something new everyday :)

Was that the same for the Golf btw?

The only Golf that physically took the matrix out of circuit when the dash control was set to cold was the MK1 :wink:

MK2/MK3/MK4 etc are all permanently in circuit.....but still leave it on hot so that the matrix helps dissipate heat.

I think one of the reasons why matrices blow is because people set the temp to cold most of the year and the heat has no where to go. Mine's on hot all year round, LOL! I just have all the windows and roof open in the summer! I ain't risking a popped matrix 8)

Mine's on hot all year round

kev, know how you feel the cold with age, pm me if you want and I'll send you a cardie :lol:

Err you may have to inlcude me in that too mate as looking at kevs age on the side he's a few years younger than me. Not too many of us old gits on the forum I guess? Long live Depeche Mode and 80s music.

Cheers Chris, got some wool lined slippers to go with it? :D

Agreed on 80s music, it's cool stuff. 85 to 95 is my favourite decade for music.

Would Eskimo bootees do it for you? (and I was thinking maybe 60/70s? but rather heavier than DM)

Are they like those 'Ugg' boots women wear these days? Think I'll pass!

60/70s....not my cup of. Decent Synthesisers weren't around then :D

synth music - brilliant. Hence my taste for Depeche. Also Frontline Assembly, Covenant, Delerium. Sorry we're abit off topic now - ok, flush the rad with the heater on mid.

LOL, don't forget Orbital, Kraftwerk, OMD, Fanfare for the common man (Was that Emmerson, Lake and Palmer?), Jean Michel Jarre, etc etc...

I'm feeling all nostalgic now :lol:

Yeah and don't forget G12+ doesn't mind G11 being present!