Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

Impressed with the old girl!

Had a little play with one of those new Type-R's on the way home from work on Friday. The Type-R looked to have a few mods, (lowered & exhuast from what I could see) and I'm pleased to say I was right on it's ar5e all the way up to a ton (on a private road of course! :twisted: ) Nothing seperating us at all. Very impressed with the old girl! She just ticked over 94k on the way home too! And going strong!! 8)

Av'it! Honda! :D LOL!

I didn't think my car was all that quick. I guess you get used to what you drive, and how ever quick it is, just become the norm.

Depends how much tweakage under your bonnet. A standard G60 wouldn't stay with a Civic Type R (notwithstanding the drag effect of trailing a car that punches a hole about the size of an elephant in the air stream, like the CTR does..). Even standard VR6s don't stay with CTRs in a straight line, all things being equal. It simply has more power..

must run out of puff near the top end, say over a ton? Thats when the old VR comes to life :)

T>

from what ive seen on top gear with clarkson the ctr doesn't run out of puff until 156... thats what they took it too when trying to beat a speed camera.

And why would it run out of performance? It's got 220 bhp compared to the VR's 190. Power is everything at very high speeds where you're fighting all that wind resistance. Unless the aerodynamics of it were rubbish...

Civic type r's only have 190, unless its a jap import then its 220. Nothing in it between them and a vr from my experiences with them.

CTR's I believe are 196bhp (see honda web site). The car looked modded, exhaust etc, for arguments sake lets say this one is 200/210bhp, the G60's still done well. I had no signs of running out of puff that's for sure.

Traffic light racein with an Integra type R and it was neck and neck all the way. Very strange though it had 5 doors?>?

Must get a supercharger :)

there was a 4 door ITR although it is very rare. I've driven the CTR and it is rapid if you push it and may well even have the legs over a VR what with the 6th cog and all. A CTR with Hondata, exhaust and a good filter should be pushing atleast 230bhp.

yeah but you know the old saying, 'there's no replacement for displacement'. UK CTR 220bhp!!! Thought they were ~200bhp last time I heard.

Who cares anyway! Would be a good race, down to driver skills me think! :)

T.

Like Clarkson said, there's only one drawback to buying a Honda Civic Type-R - you end up with a Honda. I'm not entirely sure what his point was but it seems relavent enough!

As I've mentioned in another thread before, I have a mate with a 2003 Civic Type-R and another mate with a 1996 Golf VR6. The Civic can't shake the Golf from a standing start to 140mph. At best it can pull out around two to three car lengths. I have to say I find the Civic devoid of character too.

take the CTR round a track and it will make a golf VR look silly, it's even quicker than the MK5 GTI with the DSG box! but you do have to mod the CTR to make it a real flying machine. I've never cared about badges etc, infact I've never been a big fan of VW's in general, it's just I love C's and MK1/2 gti's. Have also heard about the mext CTR with a 2.4 240bhp, think its's out next year. The only Honda I would really love is the NSX R, EVO rated it above the 996 C4S.

I've driven a CTR for about an hour under all conditions and I wasn't impressed with it. The i-VTEC isn't as snappy as the old 1800 when the cam lobes change over, but the increase in low down torque is welcomed for town driving though.

It's not as fast as people think it is. A decent standard VR can keep with it no problem and my VGI'd and 268'd VR can toy with one and then blast past when I've had my fun.

What the CTR does have though is a very rigid chassis and taught suspension, if a little on the crashey side. I hope they've sorted the steering racks out now because the one I drove constantly tugged to the left, which is a known issue.

I think the "bigger" engine planned is probably the same one as the S2000 and the Exige gets. The 2.2, 240bhp engine is a screamer. Same power as the previous 2.0 engine, but obviously with more displacement, the rev limit comes down, and the torque curve fattens up a bit.

The 2002 Civic Type R was 200bhp/145lbft as standard, and weighed around the same as the C VR6, so would have had a slight advantage in a straight line, but probably not enough to make it "night and day"..

ah yes, I think the overlap on the cams on the i-vtec lasts for much longer. The revised edition has a lighter clutch and flywheel so revs up the range even quicker. The way to sort out the vtec problem is to get an apexi vtec controller, then combine with Hondata K pro, gruppe M filter and full spoon manifold and exhaust and that baby will fly! That would take a heavily modded VR to beat. The only thing I don't like is on the CTR forum, everyone keeps banging on about beating all manner of cars inc M3's, S3's and Porsche's, atleast the C guys don't have this delusional behaviour.

The only thing I don't like is on the CTR forum, everyone keeps banging on about beating all manner of cars inc M3's, S3's and Porsche's, atleast the C guys don't have this delusional behaviour.

LOL! You get that on the majority of forums though! You can't claim to beat X Y or Z without controlled testing imo!