Sign in to follow this  
retrodal

upgrade standard speakers?

Hi all,

Any suggestions on what to upgrade the standard speakers to. I am getting a new cd player and I'm after a nice quality sound. Not bothered about getting a nose bleed though!!!!!!

Retrodal

Which speakers are you looking to upgrade and what year is your C? earlier models didnt have door speakers, although the pods/grilles are there, which will make a difference to what advice you get.

Mines the earlier type and I'm running a set of pioneer TS-E1075's in the dash running off the HU then in the boot running from a small amp are some magnat classic 6x9's on the rear shelf and a 12" sub. The oringal 6x4's at the rear are disconnected. Theres two schools of thought over 6x9's, one for and one against. I've found mine do improve the sound but you're better off investing in a decent set of speakers to put up front and stick a sub in the back, your sound stage will be all the better for it.

Infinity are over-rated!! how much u got to spend??

:2gunfire: :crazyeyes:

I replaced mine about 6 months ago with a set of Sony’s in the dash and in the door pods. They were miles better than the standard ones. Recently I upgraded the ones in the door pods with Focal's and disconnected the ones in the dash. These are the best speakers I have ever heard, they cost about £80 which is around £20 less than you'd pay for a set of Infinity. I put some Dynomat on the inside of the door skin which has made the sound quality even better, plus drowns out some of the road noise, thankfully without spoiling the roar of the VR. :D

I was thinking about £200 for the HU and £100 for upgrading speakers. Any ideas on best combination.

Alpine will look best with the dash, I think. Is it worth changing the speakers in each side of the back shelf? Is there a speaker in the middle of the dash?? looks like a little speaker grill just below the windscreen.

Cheers guys

nope, that's just a trim in the middle (the grill's missing off my new G60's one... :| )

I went for the Alpine CDA-9833R head this is the 2nd to top of the range head that Alpine currently do. I bought this for about £320 off an internet audio web site. This retails at about £450-£500 so I though I'd got my self a bargain, but then I discovered a place not to far away http://www.mega-watt.co.uk do it even cheaper. They do quality stuff, give em a ring, the blokes there are sound, excuse the pun, and they’ll be able to point you in the right direction. Dunno if they'll do mail order tho.

I ended up disconnecting the rear speakers and the ones in the dash, just a quality set in the doors.

Well i got some very cheap Lanzar Tweets and Mids for very cheap off ebay. These will be put in my C when i get it. Ebay could be your friend and Lanzar kit is very good stuff in my experience.

The best setup without spending silly money seems to be as follows...

5.25" components to replace the boggo door woofer and dash tweeter. The tweeter is a bit of a bodge to fit and you'll need to find a home for the crossover, but it gives the best results. Infinity 5000c set is about £70 if you shop online. Having said that, pretty much any after market speakers will sound worlds better than the paper and foam crap that's in there now.

The problem is, 5.25" don't deliver much bass and you end up with no bottom end at all on the motorway, so you need some bass.

If you just want to fill out the low end, then the Infinity Basslink seems like a cheap, but good buy to do the job. The sub and front components keeps your sound stage nice and central at the front as well.

Alternatively, you can get a shelf and put some 6x9's in (check how much a new shelf is from the stealers before you get too carried away tho ;)

Either way, it's pretty much unanimous that the 6x4's in the standard rear speaker spots are a pile-o-poop and don't bother connecting or upgrading them :)

nope, that's just a trim in the middle (the grill's missing off my new G60's one... :| )

are the center trims off a left hand drive the same as i know someone who has one spare if you want it free of charge 8)

are the center trims off a left hand drive the same as i know someone who has one spare if you want it free of charge 8)

different mate :cry:

I've already got hold of one, I just need to get some time to do all the little jobs which need doing to her... :|

Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated... 8) :thumb right: