Sign in to follow this  
chfs911

Roundabout problems

I know this has been raised before but there was no solution!

I have just spent a grand getting the corrado 94 VR6 with 120K miles through its MOT.

New front and rear bushes, Powerflex rear ones. New calipers all round. New rear shocks(Boge OE). Car totally original unmessed with. 15" standard wheels. Tyre pressures ok, good tread.

What to try next?

rear ARB faulty? Worn loose LH hub?

Turn sharply into roundabout and the rear keeps going straight. Happened for last 3 years on and off. Road was dry so very disconcerting. Only on right hand bends so suggests wear of something. Requires(quck) half turn of opposite lock at 35mph to straighten up.Tracking all done at Star Performance. Passed MOT too.

I would expect this at high speeds but not at 30-35mph!!

Loosing patience and would be cheaper running a Lupo GTI than the rado.

Winter tyres fitted with 5mm tread. Same with Toyo Proxes on the car.

Has been on the rolling road for front alignment due to new bushes. Not sure about what they did at the back after fitting new bushes and shocks.

I'll take it back to Star for road test/rolling road next week.

chfs911, Check the condition of your front top shocker mounts - replace if necessary & then get the car "Laser 4 wheel aligned" = end of problem :wink:

4 wheel alignment is not checked at MOT, nor is it corrected when tracking is done. :shock: Your problem will be incorrect camber on 1 or both front wheels.

yup front shock mounts does it feel like the outside wheel 'tucks' in when entering a corner or any change in direction when you accelerate hard?

It feels like the skid pan car where the rear wheels keep going straight on and the front turns in. Car does not slide sideways it seems to be the rear axle twists( unlikely). Only happens on RH turns at lowish speeds. Can take motorway 180 deg corners at 60-70 mph ok Thank goodness ;O)

Front suspension is original so may be needing work. After firm braking and quick turn in it happens. Miniroundabouts will be worst.

I'll get some lower springs, top mounts and new front shocks.

Hopefully that will fix it!

Last year I replaced both front wishbones, bottom ball joints, front shockers, top mounts, 4 wheel bearings, 4 CV joints, drivers track rod & a full set of poly bushes. Had the car laser aligned & it handles like a dream now .. :D

Stevemac's probably onto the culprit there chfs911.

Somewhere in my service history it warned that my top front mounts were on their way, and there's no record of them being replaced.

Wonder if this is what's causing mine to oversteer too?

Always assumed it'd be something at the arse end of the car causing it.

Think I'm due a trip to the oily geezers.

Mine oversteers to. It has all new front bushes, nearly new Toyo Proxes, I've tried different tyres, but that doesn't help. The only thing left is rear suspension bushes. It also has had 4 wheel laser alignment.

Oh yeah, it has new FK gas shocks and springs too