Riley

Late Black G60

Wow! Looking great. That install is gonna look awesome when finished. Wish my current funds would stretch to air ride. Hear what you mentioned about going for a reputable and knowledgeable company/products. Would do the same, looks complicated putting it all together though!

Thanks mate, I really do hope it looks tidy enough and not 'thrown together' or cheap/chavvy! It's hard to get an idea on your own silly modifications sometimes :bonk:

I think e-level and airlift are a bit of a no brainer really after doing lots of reading up. Airlift been around since the 40's! so plenty of experience and superb! customer service. Same for accuair/e-level, although they are relatively new, there are plenty of people using it, and the innovation and technology is the best I can find. Again the customer service when something does break (not often) looks to be spot on!

I've never spent so much money on a car in my life lol! I'm certainly not one of these to hammer the credit card or anything, but I rarely get on holiday and thought I'd treat myself after a good chunk of saving up before the ex gets her mitts on anything lol. Fitting wise it's not bad at all, just lots of time/effort to place everything, thinking about the run of wiring/pipework etc. Most air ride seems to be fitted to cars with much more boot space, raggy gits!

Edited by Riley

Today I did managed to run the power wire from the battery, all tied up in place and ready. Also the ignition live, compressor live, and the headlight wire for the touchpad dimming features.

I also figured out where I'm going to run the earth. So I gave the boot a tidy up as I think the next time it all goes in will hopefully be the last last/final fit before I run the sensor wires and actually throw the suspension on, fingers crossed. Just awaiting some bulkhead fittings and a replacement tank pressure gauge as the one I got is faulty.

Obviously I need to get all the boxing covered up too! Just wish I had more time man.

airrideboottidy.jpg

Also covered the two neons in Red Lamin-X today, hopefully they will light up much more red and be a bit more subtle at the same time. Can't wait to get it all covered/back in the car.

airridelaminxneonstorch1.jpg

airridelaminxneonstorch2.jpg

Also decided I'm going to run a ciggy lighter socket in the passenger side panel above the boot light. Picked up this mini rechargeable led torch. It's mint! Lights up a dull red when charging and is bloody bright as well!

airridelaminxneonstorch3.jpg

Wanted to get a lot of the boxing etc covered today but only managed the front panel before nearly taking my finger off! Oh well...That'll do for now.

airridefrontcoveredcloth3.jpg

What are the two number gauges for to the left of the hole for the tank again Riley? Looking really good so far! Would bekeen to hear how run the air lines/sensor wiring when you get round to it, which will probably be tomorrow seeing how quickly you're getting through it!

Think my problem is I got too many hobbies, what with compulsory snowboard trips, and drums to buy after I keep breaking cymbals :-) what I need is a lottery win.

In all honesty mate, I've done most of this over the past few weeks, I just got a thread put together elsewhere so I can copy it to here. :thumbleft:

The two digital gauges? The voltage gauge is going to be powered from the accuair ecu power supply so I can keep my eye on things, this gear is superb, it will cut the compressor below x volts (10.8 iirc) to save your battery, and it also has an upper limit too.

The temp gauge has a little sender wire that I'm going to pop through into the compressor area, just so I can see what's happening really. May or may not add a little fan in there yet.

I'm nearly ready to run the lines and sensor wires and I think I've figured out where I can run em, I will of course post pics when I get to it :thumbleft: Just awaiting some more fittings so I can carry on with it really.

I know what you mean with the hobbies lol, Mine are the cars, my house, radio controlled cars...at the expense of holidays etc lol.

Here's a bit more progress.

Have done some more covering...And also fitted a ciggy lighter socket for the LED torch, which glows red when charging. Also a pic of the second boot light on the other side.

Still need to tidy up the hinges on the doors and I'm waiting for some smart/different little push knobs for them to finish them off.

It's slowly but surely getting there, It's no show car build or anything, but as long as it's easy to maintain everything and looks boring/subtle lol.

airridecoveringstarted3.jpg

airridecoveringstarted1.jpg

Looks very nice and tidy. I would use black screws to avoid flashing them. Very nice install indeed. Looking forward to the finished airride, and to hear how it performs.

The second bootlight is also a good detail, as one in one side was never enough to see what is down there, when reaching for something in nighttime.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Thanks lads, good to hear positive feedback! :thumbleft: I was never one for woodwork at school! lol!

Redfox, I've got the black plastic screw caps/covers for all the screw heads (Pictured on last page I think) I'll definitely update on how it drives etc once fitted, one thing I'm looking forward to is just being able to use roads I can't currently use!

PS: The Corrado now has it's own page via the works website on facebook: Please click 'LIKE' here :-)

Will update with more soon hopefully.

Neil.

Edited by Riley

Well I seem to have been pretty lucky finding the Borbet B's at reasonable money, especially as I also found four brand new original Borbet B center caps! Stickers, bolts and key! I don't actually want to fit them because they look yummy! Lol.

BorbetBcentercaps1.jpg

Picked up some gold plated battery terminals so I know the power supply will all be clean. And my Vw door push knobs turned up too! They are basically screw head caps/covers measuring 25mm across.

airridevwdoorknobs1.jpg

Fitted! Love em. Excuse all the dust/bits of wood on the paintwork!

airridevwdoorknobs2.jpg

dynamatted the compressor box section and carpeted a little bit.

Not sure if the dynamat is a good idea or not noise wise, obviously planning to put acoustic cloth over the top too. First time using the dynamatt, it's weird stuff, got the hang of it I think.

airridedynamatcompressor1.jpg

airridedynamatcompressor2.jpg

Also my PODI digital tank pressure gauge wasn't working, not lighting up at all when powered but I split it open just now and had a look. Couldn't really see anything obvious so I just resoldered the wiring pictured.

gaugesoldered2.jpg

It now lights up! But actually says FAIL!? Have I knackered the gauge!? I tried to be really careful because my soldering iron is a very high wattage one, but it looks like I may have melted/killed a resistor or something?

gaugesoldered1.jpg

Boxing near finished, sorry about the poor phone pics.

airrideboxcovered4.jpg

airrideboxcovered1.jpg

airrideboxcovered2.jpg

airrideboxcovered3.jpg

All I did manage recently was to apply sealant to all the tank/compressor fittings, run a couple pieces of air line. And then I loosely connected the VDO pressure gauge, and hooked the box/tank up to the car via some jump leads. Ran the compressor and filled the tank up to 150psi.

Have left it now to see what the pressure is tomorrow. Hopefully it's somewhere still near the 150. Couldn't hear any leaks but we will see.

airridepressuretestingvdo.jpg

Well I just got upto my unit to check the pressure. It's dropped to 105psi.

I refilled to 150psi and ran some soapy water around the joints.

I found one leak. It's the join between two fittings just before the water trap.

Here's what all the leak free joints look like...

airrideleaktestingtwo1.jpg

And in comparison, the leaky joint...Red is the leak point. Blue is ok.

airrideleaktestingtwo2.jpg

So I re applied some fresh sealant after cleaning off the old, and refitted. I filled back up to 150psi and I left it again to see what the pressure was.

I'm not really too happy with the way I've mounted the water trap to the tank. Reducer from trap > 90deg > reducer into tank, it's all a bit tight so I may pick up two more of the numatics 90deg swivel elbows and run some air line between them.

airrideleaktestingtwo3.jpg

After this/25 hours, the pressure had dropped from 150psi to 130psi. Better! but couldn't actually tell where any pressure was being lost so I planned to buy some more 90deg swivel elbows to mount the water trap, should get a totally leak free seal that way.

Near enough completed all the wiring, just the sensor wiring to run to each corner, and then connect everything up.

Managed some better fittings for the water trap, and also new ones (below red box, not pictured) for the compressor. Did a test again roughly over 20/24 hours and only dropped 5psi. But i'd had the little black pipes in and out a good few times so some fresh pipe once fitted may sort that as it's the only place I found a very slight leak.

Also fitted the rear shocks and ran the rear air lines. I ran them through the boot/trunk floor via the abs wiring grommets, and along the rear beam at each side. Jesus christ it sits low! It's sat on the tyres so I guess it's as low as it can be!

airridewatertrapfittings.jpg

Looks like you are doing a proper job on it.

I've probably missed this at some point but whatever happened to your Mk1? I remember reading a thread on CGTi about it years ago to the point where you stripped it down. Was a lovely looking car that.

Cheers mate. :thumbleft:

I still have the ol mk1 believe it or not... http://www.volksdevil.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=279 Best car I've ever owned, but once I'd stripped it down I had kids, split with the ex, moved house a couple of times so it's just sat as a bare shell ever since really:roll:

I keep saying I'll rebuild it one day, really miss it! :-(

a777ovl53063.jpg

demon_vw_york_m3_rear.jpg

Edited by Riley

Got staggered set of Borbet A's for sale ;) 4x100 16" 9j rears 7.5j fronts with tyres £400 ;)

Thanks mate. I prefer the Borbet A's meself, so I'll hopefully find someone capable of getting them right or I'll try and do them myself again if I can find the time.

Suspension wise I figured I'm stuck with this bloody CorradNo forever lol so thought sod it, give this air ride business a go and at least let me drive on the roads I need to, and get on the drive!

Neil.

Thanks mate, but I've still got all of mine, just that they are now bare alloy :-(

Fittings added to struts.

airridestrutsgreasingfitting1.jpg

Greased up the anodized parts, and the body. This method has kept my old konigsports mint. May get pics later.

airridestrutsgreasingfitting3.jpg

New top mounts added all around.

airridestrutsgreasingfitting2.jpg

E-Level sensor wires, cut and tinned up with solder. Cutting them means you can route them through grommets/holes easily as the plug tends to be too big. It also allows you to shorten the wire if you want to do that.

airridesensorwiresoldering2.jpg

Finished up with heat shrink, and then I taped them up nice and tight with no creases (Because I'm down like that). This soldered/taped joint will be inside the car.

airridesensorwiresoldering1.jpg

Struts fitted. Air lines and e-level sensor wires have been run through. I'll try and get pics of the routing later.

airridestrutsgreasingfitting4.jpg

Two abs wire grommets under rear seat, air lines and sensor wires run through.

airridewireslinesfitted1.jpg

airridewireslinesfitted2.jpg

Where the rear air lines and sensor wires run.

airridewireslinesfitted3.jpg

The rear strut side of things.

airridewireslinesfitted4.jpg

Fitted the build/boxing into the boot and started wiring things up!

airridewireslinesfitted5.jpg

Another update, feel like I'm getting somewhere properly now!

Firstly, my digi pressure gauge now works when I hooked it up to the sender. Looks good as well! think I'll paint the bezel black though, not sure yet.

I also tightened down the rear shocks properly, refitted all the rear 1/4 panels, rear speaker shelves, door sill trims, under dash pieces and hooked up the ignition live properly from the ecu to the fuse box.

I found that the rear end was slowly sitting down when left for a while...And...Well, I found two good candidates for most...maybe all of the leak on the two rear struts.

Two lines on the right are feeding the front struts, the two on the left, feeding the rear. I've just recut them and refitted but couldn't test as my bloody battery went flat!

The leaks are fixed! Just a very slight one on one of the front strut feeds which I'll sort out next time I'm up there.

I've started making a mount for the touchpad controller. Here's my old set up that I made a good while ago now...

vdogaugesgearknob2.jpg

vdogaugesgearknob3.jpg

vdogaugesgearknob15.jpg

redgaitorledgknob3.jpg

redgaitorledgknob2.jpg

So I picked up a spare center console, and I just trimmed a liitle plastic around the cig lighter mount and made up a piece to go in there covering the ashtray/cig lighter area.

I'm gonna end up needing yet another VDO gauge lol. But I have a 'bit of a thing for them' anyway and I've got some new options to go in the car (when I dig them out) (VDO EGT and VDO Intake temp) Not sure what config I'll go for just yet.

airridecontrollermountvdo1.jpg

Bit more done, Think I'm decided on this layout. Excuse the wobblyness, My compressor decided to stop working so I had no hole saw/drill. So I had to use a screwdriver to bore through the wood, and then a file!

airridecontrollerfitting1.jpg

airridecontrollerfitting2.jpg

airridecontrollerfitting3.jpg

Air ride, lookin', awesome! Looks like a lot of work, but most definitely will be reaping the benefits very soon! Let us know how the e-level is to use with regard to set heights, rise on ignition etc. How did you run the lines to the front struts from the back? And how exactly does the Accuair work, is it all wireless?

Yeah I'll definitely let you know what it's like to use mate, will do my best to give a good and fair review on it. Main reason because I've always been a bit skeptical about it myself anyway to be fair, but for me the practicality and being able to get on the drive is a hell of a positive.

With the front lines (Forgot to get pics actually! Doh!) I ran them down each side of the rear 1/4's, then along the sills. Passenger side was fine going straight through a grommet and then into the bay, then from there through the abs wire grommet.

Drivers side however...Had to run along the sill, and then come across to the tunnel and up through a grommet. Luckily though, the air line sits perfectly in a sort of wedge under the sound deadening. Reason was that it was impossible to get the line through the back of the servo/fuse box, but it's worked out spot on really.

It's not wireless (Yet) but has a touchpad that you can fit in place. I've made it so that I can pop it out easily though. They are bringing out what's known as I-Level, an iphone app that will work up to 200ft away! Pretty cool, but it is $350 for the module which creates a wireless network, and the actual app is free. Which I'd bloody well expect!

Let me know if you want to know anything else, glad to help!:thumbleft:

Here's todays update btw. Really struggle for time :-(

I tied the e-level sensors out of the way so I can get an MOT test, then I'll fit them later. Double checked all bolts etc and also carried on with the center console a bit.

Made a little bracket on the panel and cut out a notch at the top so I can pop it out easily.

airridealmostreadycorrado5.jpg

Then covered. Only roughly cut in this pic!

airridealmostreadycorrado7.jpg

Also picked up/fitted some new spigot rings. And then I actually drove it outside! to have a tidy up. Bloody stupidly low! I'm just happy it goes high enough really! The rear is sat on the tyres. And the front is sat on the track rods! (Goes lower again with the sebrings on) Crazy!

airridealmostreadycorrado9.jpg

airridealmostreadycorrado2.jpg

airridealmostreadycorrado1.jpg

airridealmostreadycorrado3.jpg

airridealmostreadycorrado4.jpg

Edited by Riley

Pretty ****ed off man. Used some low tack masking tape around all of my vdo gauge faces to protect them from chipping while refitting the air ride controller, only to have it pull the frigging black paint off when removed. I've bought all these brand new and tried my best to keep em mint :-( Anyway...

I've also misplaced a new EGT gauge, just can not find it anywhere! So to fill a gap I fitted an outside temp gauge (Top left) that I had tucked away but I don't like it as it uses a different bloody bulb type and doesn't match!

The e-level touchpad brightness with ignition on and also headlights on can be adjusted by the way.

Not sure I actually like this now I've done it :-/

airridevdogaugesfitted1.jpg

airridevdogaugesfitted3.jpg