Sign in to follow this  
blackcat

unleaded vs. super unleaded

Just a quick question. Who uses the super unleaded and does it really matter if you don't?

In the service manual it says to use a higher octane petrol, does it really actually make a difference?

(BTW, sorry if this is in wrong section, didn't really know where to post it)

i didnt use super for the first few months and it pinked like mad when I was being 'enthusiastic'. I use nothing but BP ultimate now, or shell optimax if i have to, i find ultimate better as it still pinks a bit on optimax (which may well be down to something else!). As for performance, i think it goes better on super, but then that could be all in my head.

i think that was more of a general discussion ted, the difference is more apparent in a valver since they were designed to run on 'full fat' petrol. IMO if you have a valver, run it on super.

I do have a 16v and I do put super in it. Just wondered if it did really make a difference.

The only garage near me that does any kind of super is sainsbury's. (and the super pump is the one at the back and I'm forever getting in to arguments with idiots behind me who demand to know why I haven't pulled up to the pump in front -a reasonable enough q i suppose but it starts to annoy you when you've been asked 1000 times!!).

I tried some of that Esso Supreme last week and it's pretty good. Feels no different to Sloptimax actually....