Sign in to follow this  
RACK

Drove my first VR6 saturday

Drove my cousin's Golf VR6 the other day and can't get out just how smoooooooooth the power is! And the engine note is something else!

The power delivery seems so much different to my tweeked G60.

It's a totally standard golf with 115K on the clock.

I'm not sure how much different the C vr6 goes but I was impressed with it.

It didn't feel as quick as my G60, but it wasn't a slouch.

In my C the boost is there and it all exploded with a huge induction roar, the VR has that grunt which gets louder when you hit 3K.

I was well impressed with it.

I don't think you can really compare the 2 engines because they have totally different characteristics.

I will never comment on a G60 vs VR6 argument again :lol:

the vr6 fools ya, cos its so smooth it doesnt feel as quick as it really is i've found

and you can drive it lazy, in 4th and you should be in 3rd and the vr just pulls without complaint, torquey

the engine note is addictive! no doubt its caused many engine rebuilds :-)

Yeah you can realy feel that extra 40kgs!

If you have only drove a golf VR, wait till you drive a corrado, it feels that bit better again!

"heavy"? really? You can feel the 40kg despite the extra 40lbft torque? Run the VR with half a tank of fuel and then compare..

(Or were you talking about the Golf! :) )

I find the Corrado noticeably more torquey than the Golf, its only 0.1 of a litre extra but I think it really makes a difference. I came from a Golf VR6 which ran very nicely, but everybody who's been in my Corrado has said how much quicker it feels than the Golf. The C definately puts a bigger smile on my face too.

I'll have to try and find a CVR6 to see.

It's when I see the argumants about G60's and VR's. My honest opinion is that you can't really compare the two, they both have awesome engine notes and pulling power but in so many different ways!

Yeah they're both very characterful engines. I was immediately sold on the VR's smoothness and refinement.... something you value when you get old :D

Both engines can potter around in high gears all day and hoof the car along at a decent pace..... but when you star rowing the gearbox a bit more and using the revs....the fun really begins :D

Too true. Keep the VR above 3.5K and that engine sooo sounds mean!

It's the same with the G60, keep the charger howling and your smile just gets bigger and bigger!