joebloggsVR69

My Mystic Blue...

Finally got it lowered on Konig Silverline X's, had new chains + tensioners fitted (Mk4 items), plus a new clutch, flywheel, brakes and alignment. All fitted for under £500! :shock: :lol:

I like the ride height now, but its a little bit too low for driving around london.

The car is lowered 5cm allround, I havent adjusted the suspension at all yet, this is using the default konig factory settings

If I leave it like this, I'm gonna damage my sump on a speed hump.. :cry: Might have to settle for 35mm instead. The ride feels great, not much different to the standard shocks + springs, much to my amazement!

Good thing I changed the chains + tensioners, take a look at the top tensioner - this is at 85k miles. There was no death rattle, but seeing as I needed to get the clutch done, I may as well do the chains too (good thing I did)

So, why did I need to change my clutch at 85k miles? Take a look at how much friction material is left on the clutch plate - zero!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I had an incident with a carpet mat at high speed which kinda made all this work neccessary.. :roll: :oops: Tip: Make sure your mats dont move around about while you're on a motorway overtaking someone. I've velcro'd 'em down now, so they aint going anywhere!

And the flywheel. Hmm, the outer toothed part isnt supposed to come away like this..

I hope to have my Storm resprayed soon. Hope it comes out like yours did! How much was the rest of the trim to buy? Do you have handy list to hand of what you needed to get? I was expecting a bill of £2k for everything, looks like I will need twice that by the time I replace the wheels and lower it.

Yeah, I've got a list of parts at home so I'll post em tonight :)

Seems like my wallet is constantly taking a battering :(

Hopefully the spiralling costs will level out soon. I thought I might as well get everything out the way in one go, seeing as I'm intending to keep the car for good :D

You can get a paint job for less than £3k, but I knew the quality of the work, so was prepared to pay it.

Incidently, the sprayer shut up shop about a month after I got it painted. He had a very quiet spell since XMas..

Well that proves without doubt that no noise from the chains doesn't mean anything! Mine was slightly worse than that at 93,000....but yours had another 10K in it though....

The only way to be sure is a visual inspection!

And how the heck did you kill a flywheel and clutch in 85K? LOL!

Nice car mate, coming along nicely!

Yeah I'm glad I've now got the MK4 tensioner items. If it wasnt for me breaking the clutch, I'd have left the chains for another 20/30k miles! :lol:

The engine was totally silent, so I had no reason to think the tensioner was fooked (well, apart from all the warnings on here saying they can we bad at around 85k miles :wink:)

And the flywheel + clutch - well my mechanic had never seen anything like it :lol: All because of the carpet mat getting jammed in my pedals :oops: I'm amazed I could actually get it home after that little incident. God bless VW :wink:

Next up, I've got a set of speedlines with fresh Toyos to fit on the car. Although I am kinda liking the solitudes now the car is lowered

did you get chance to post your list of bits you required? if it was on another thread I missed it. I am sat looking at the pics of you car, with another eye out the window at mine with a strong urge to rob a bank!

Argh my brain's been useless lately - I'll send you the list tonight/tomorrow afternoon, I Promise! :)

(maybe pm me just to make sure :wink:)

Did you remove your Storm badge for the respray or did someone swipe it?

I've got it safely tucked away :lol:

I made a pretty decent replica badge using the original as a template, but I just havent got around to finishing it off (i.e. painting it black + red)

Thanks Doc :D

Would love to see some pics of yours, I remember seeing the for sale ad a few weeks back

Those alloys you've got there look the part 8)

Fitted my set of speedlines today. I wasn't too keen on the solitudes when the car was at the factory ride-height, but I kinda liked 'em once I had it dropped :? :)

I'll get em refurbed soonish and maybe fit them for special events.

Have always liked the speedlines with a decent drop... I still prefer the solitudes though tbh ;)

Think that looks spot on Joe, very nice :)

Thanks, my real name is George by the way :wink: :lol:

Have always liked the speedlines with a decent drop... I still prefer the solitudes though tbh :wink:

Yeah, I have to say the solitudes have grown on me. I love the speedlines, but it does feel a bit odd having the 'wrong' OE wheels fitted :lol:

Finally got it lowered on Konig Silverline X's, had new chains + tensioners fitted (Mk4 items), plus a new clutch, flywheel, brakes and alignment. All fitted for under £500! :shock: :lol:

Was that supplied and fitted? how did you get it so cheap?

Was that supplied and fitted? how did you get it so cheap?

Mate you having a laugh?! £500 can only be for the fitting - look at the list of parts!!

Yeah the parts came to £620, that's with a 10% VW discount :lol:

The labour cost under £500:

Fitting of

- Timing chains & tensioners

- Clutch

- Flywheel

- New suspension

- New front brake discs & pads

- New thermostat (which they sourced, as the original one fell apart!)

- 4 wheel alignment

I was expecting the labour to be circa £1k, so I was chuffed it was under £500 :lol:

My mechanic knows this garage owner, and managed to get an amazingly low rate for me!

I was originally gonna take it to Stealth, but the clutch was dead and there was no way it would make a 90 mile journey...

Took some more pics yesterday, needed for my insurance.. :roll:

Got my alloys refurbed at Pristine last week, they look amazing now 8)

Dunno whether to keep 'em on or go back to the speedlines :?

Motor looks amazing mate! Love your new look Mystic Blue! Is that your real or replica Storm badge on the back?

Ps - I'd keep the Solitudes on it!

Is that your real or replica Storm badge on the back?

It's the real badge, stuck it on temporarily for the pics :wink:

Got 2 fake badges in front of me but I'm too lazy to paint 'em :lol: