Bobronk

filter/oil change on VR6

GSF sell the filters and you'll need 6 litres of Oil...

The filter is a cartidge type and is held up by a plastic cover with a 36mm hex on the bottom (so you may need a tool to remove it)

Do's - get the RIGHT filter (there's 3 types for the VR engine). 95% of Corrado VR6s use the metal filter with non-return valve. Check it before walking away from the dealer.

Use only a GENUINE filter or at worst MANN from GSF. No Motor factors or UNIPart cr@p please.

Replace the copper sump washer.

Don'ts - Don't overfill the sump.

Tip - There is a drain plug on the bottom of the filter housing (6mm allen head). Crack that off first and let it drain. This will stop you getting oil everywhere when you unscrew the filter housing.

Thanks for that, what's the copper sump washer? is this on the drain plug or filter housing? I have a washer here which I presume is for the housing. Is it correct not to over tighten the filter housing?

The copper sump washer goes on the drain plug (sump) yeah.

With the filter housing, just nip it up until the threads stop turning and that's it. Overtightening can lead to the housing breaking when undone the next time round.

Just done one of these and it's quite different to most cars I've done...

Here's a run through....

You will need:

An 8mm allen key or preferably socket.

A HUGE (36mm) socket.

A small screwdriver or a small nail or something to remove the old filter gasket from the plastic filter cover.

A 19mm wrench for the sump plug.

A VW filter.

A rubber sealing ring.

A new sump plug washer (although I found my plug had a non-removable steel washer when I removed it :?)

Steps:

Warm oil. Remove the oil-cap from the top of the engine so that the oil will drain better.

I did the filter drain first, but I don't think it matter which way around you do it. Use the 8mm hex to remove the drain plug from in the middle of this plastic cover and leave to drain for 15mins. Watch out for the coolant(?) pipes that run directly underneath it, I just pulled it out the way a bit and shoved a bit of rag on top to try and stop it getting too oily.

IMG_0008-vi.jpg

Here's the plug.

IMG_0010-vi.jpg

When the oils stopped running out use the 36mm socket to remove the plastic cover, don't try and use an adjustable spanner as it just bends the cover.

Use the small screwdriver (or basically any small item capable of grabbing that o-ring) remove the rubber o-ring from the plastic filter cover. Take your new one and oil it up a bit. Place the new o-ring onto the plastic filter cover the way the previous one was.

IMG_0014-vi.jpg

IMG_0011-vi.jpg

Take the new filter and attach it to the plastic filter cover... it should click into place. Take the aluminum plug and screw it back in there. It's just made out of aluminum, so don't screw it in too hard.

Now remove the sump plug with the 19mm socket and drain the oil like any other car.

IMG_0003-vi.jpg

In the words of Haynes, re-fitting is the reversal of removal :lol:

Mine took about 6-6.5litres of oil to fill.

Hope this helps :)

Is that a pit I see there? You jammy sod!

Good write up and I'm glad you've included a pic of the *correct* oil filter! The dealers always give me the plastic one with no non-return valve!

only thing i would say is that with the filter housing get it tight as they all say "hand tight"- i did mine hand tight and oil pissed everywhere

Thanks for all your help, just been to buy the oil form the local VW shop and they have replaced the quantum silver with 'Fuchs Titan XTR' anybody know anything about it or use it? wasn't sure so didn't get it.

only thing i would say is that with the filter housing get it tight as they all say "hand tight"- i did mine hand tight and oil pissed everywhere

That usually refers to the old screw-in metal canister type filter but the VR filter housing needs to be screwed in until the threads stop, and that's it. A lot of people give it an extra turn at this point which is too tight.....as you'll see when you next come to take it off!

May I add something to the write-up?

Firstly, there is a small rubber O-ring on the filter drainplug which can eventually get damaged, so have a new one handy.

Secondly, replace the filter drainplug before attempting to undo the plastic filter bowl. Its presence will strengthen the bowl and help it to survive the undoing process if it has been overtightened in the past.

Best wishes

RB

Went to replace the oil filter on my car armed with what i thought was the correct oil filter and turns out mine is totally different

Heres a pic of my housing mine sort of slots into a plastic type thing which is part of the filter housing

The part number i got off the filter that was in it was 021 115 561B

http://www.fallastarmedia.com/vortex/oilchange/large/029.jpg

Is it because its a storm it got and OBD2 type housing??

Storm wasn't/isn't different. Filter 021 115 562, includes the rubber O ring for the screw cap.

Looks like yours may have been modified.

Whats got me puzzled though is the box says 021 115 562 and the filter that came in the box is 021 115 561A and made by Hengst

Anyone got a picture of 021 115 562 the correct one ??

Nothing to do with your car being a Storm or OBD2. It is quite simply down to the fact that the VR6 ABV engine was fitted with two types of oil filter, which are not interchangeable, as the plastic housings are different into which the filter fits. Typically the correct filter will be designate by chassis number. However over time I have noted that there is no definitive certainty in this matter, as individuals have made changes, or the factory have seen fit to do so. If you have the wrong item you need to return it and request the alternative that will be listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one i need has the larger hole on the end of it so it can slot over the plastic guide sleeve thing which is part of the housing so which one do i need ??

Edited by Jon_vr6

The actual filter is 021 115 561A The 562 number is the kit with O ring.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46935[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46936[/ATTACH]

Both ends.

Clips into the bottom of the plastic screw cap, add the O ring and offer up to the housing.

Top job again RW1, thats the exact filter i have which i thought would be the same one that is on the storm, So i need the other one then or i have to change the filter housing so the 562 one fits

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

So what did the 021 115 561B oil filter one come off as the A and B is the only difference in the part number?

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Just searched ebay and here is a golf vr6 OBD2 oil filter housing with the same type oil filter plastic as mine with the plastic sleeve in the middle

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK3-VR6-OIL-FILTER-HOUSING-OBD2-AAA-/220782295042?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3367a67802

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Looks like i have a late golf VR housing on mine so i have the plastic type oil filter and not the metal one oh well must be a previous owners doing. Ill get hold of proper genuine corrado filter housing and save it for next time and change that over

Something sticks in my mind that around the late ninties, the original wasn't available for a while so you had to change over the filter housing. Certainly remember answering a lot of Q's on the CCGB helpline with this issue.

Sounds fee-sable, wonder why they changed the housing on the later golf vr's, was there a problem with the older ones or was it just because it was cheaper hmm

I always screw the filter drain plug back into the platic filter bowl before applying the 36mm socket to undo it; it reinforces the bowl and lessens the risk of cracking it if it had been over-tightened last time. Also, check the condition of the o-ring on the filter drain plug.

Best wishes

RB