Sign in to follow this  
Bojmobile

What MPG do your VR's get in town?

Hey guys!

I'm having some hefty fuel bills at the moment and seem to only see the teens economy wise! My car gets a lot of town usage - what's a normal MPG value around town when booting it and cruising?

I'm sure mine's running super-rich or something!

Cheers much

G

I'm spending £20 odds in 5days driving about five minutes to work and to my girlfriend's in the evening. Gonna have to start walking or get a bike!

take three plug leads and injectors off :-) :wink:

your journeys all seem to be cold starts and short , not the best for economy or engine life

Take three plug leads off and you're pouring the fuel onto your catalyst, which is even worse! ;)

Smarter engines than the VR can actually stop using whole cylinders under part-load (i.e. put no fuel or spark in).

Yeah, but they tend to be sodding great big V8s which means that when they're running on half cylinders it's still 2l or so... :lol:

Yep, true.

And the modern (nearly) direct injection petrol engines recycle exhaust gases and perform a controlled burn in just a small part of the cylinder's capacity, using a fraction of the normal fuelling required..

But you've got an old fashioned 2.9 litre V6, better get used to visiting the petrol station...! :)

I manage around 12-14 l/100km.. in town which is around the 16-20 mpg mark....

to be honest I don't use it for short trips... thats whats the golfs for..

I managed to get a weeks useage out of my last tankful on go juice on the G60 - that was filled to the brim at a shade under £50. Though I did have a good few hours sightseeing fun and games up and around the M6 trying to get to stevemac's house, amongst other things.

I actually had to cave this week and not only do a total fill up, but also use regular unleaded.. my poor car :(