Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Brake Bias Valve

Very close to the rear axel - look for the brake lines leading to it...

Worth keeping clean and putting a bit of grease on to stop it seizing up

They need adjusting if you have the car lowered more than 40mm.

i had mine on the ramps a couple days ago,saw that the bias was seized.

sprayed on plenty wd40,and kept working it with some vice grips,it freed off no problem then i coated it in copper grease using a little paint brush.

neil. :D

rite thanks, just one more thing i seemed to think the valve is self adjusting with the ride height but as mentioned the valve needs to be set if the car is lowered 40mm how is this done does it have to be done by a brakes speciaist or is it a DIY job.

hi m8.

sorry i dont know anything about the adjustment but...

i know it works off the position of the rear beam in relation to the chassis.

i think under heavy braking as the rear lifts,the valve puts more pressure to the back brakes???

anyone wanna chirp up with the how to/why to bit?

neil. :)

the brake bias adjuster works on the height of the rear suspension.... The theory is that if the rear end is down on the ground, it's gonna get more grip at the rear so it'll allow more braking force to get to the rear calipers. If the rear end is up in the air then the rear brakes are more likely to lock up, so it'll limit the amount of pressure getting to the rear calipers.

When you lower your car, you should re-set the bias adjuster to the factory setting to ensure that your rear brakes behave as they should rather than thinking that there's a large weight in the rear causing you to lock up your rear wheels every time you brake heavily... :|

oh, and it lives pretty much in the middle of the car under the floor just in front of the rear axle beam...

My Passat was already lowered 60mm before I bought it - is there any way of telling if the bias adjuster has been reset or not? :?:

Haven't had to brake heavily enough to lock the wheels yet, guess I'm not driving fast enough! ;) :lol:

yeah, it's got a specific setting which you need to adjust it to when the weight is on the wheels... I think it's something like 12.5 degrees or something... :|

Do a search 'cos it's been mentioned in a thread recently... ;)

Cheers - sorry, I usually do a search first but I'm tired and not thinking! :lol:

Woohoo, 100 posts finally! Only about another 9900 to go then...