Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Car at Stealth today (and now advice please)...

I might need to speak to Tempest nicely to come and have a look at it and cast an opinion.

PM me, should be free tonight, and desperate to get the Rado out again (hasn't been moved since the MK meet end of Jan. :lol:). Hope your Rado's "diseases" aren't contageous on other Rados :lol:

Otherwise I'd also gove Vince a quick ring and ask for a bit advice. It could be that they just need to slacken off a belt a wee bit.

Tempest

Ok Eric.. will chat to Vince a little later and PM you. Supposed to be out to do 2 different things tonight, but i'd rather get this little problem checked out rather than having my 'grenade-lader' go haywire on me! Will PM you in a little while.

Thanks!

Good luck Jim, hope it's something simple... I konw exactly what you mean about stuff just going wrong. I went to pick mine up tonight after it's been in for a full head replacement/rebuild (ouch), and after chatting with the mechanics for half an hour, I went to drive off, but the headlights weren't working, so I went to pop the bonnet...and the bonnet release snapped.

Back in the garage now... :-)

I chatted to Stealth and they said to pop over tomorrow for a quick look.. car was still doing it on the way home, but if this morning is anything to go by, it will be really bad tomorrow morning again.. when I first started the car at 8am, I seriously thought something was about to break.

I hope its something obvious, and easy for Stealth to fix!

Hi.. just got back actually.

Vince says its fine but just slight pulley irregularities mean that the belt will be noisy for a week or so until it beds in and then will be fine. Quick squirt of belt dressing shut it up pretty much... I was gonna do that myself but just wanted them to check it over first!

Apparently nothing to do with the g-lader - my wallet has just let out a content and relieved sigh :)

Glad to hear it's not serious, Jim! Know exactly how you feel though- really is a love/hate thing!

Will defo be getting a vRS myself next autumn- already planning a whole list of mods. Will be nice not to worry about every little sound etc every time I drive! Would like to keep the C as a Sunday special, but don't think we'll be able to afford it.

Well i'm getting a bit ticked off with this now.

The car still sounds ridiculous until thoroughly warmed up.. horrible metallic type squeaking sounds from the pulley area which is pretty embarassing as you sit in traffic..

And the gear change is pretty much horrendous. I don't know where I should go from here.. in a morning, if I start the car but don't move I can glide through the various gears.. I start to move the car and for the first 10-15 seconds I can basically forget all about 2nd gear - it just doesn't physically seem to be there. Eventually goes but like a few of the other gears its so notchy I can virtually feel it mashing its way through the cogs in the gearbox. Does improve when properly up to temperature it has to be said (and is much improved than before) but i'd argue that from cold its much much worse.

I need some advice as to what is going on.. front VT mount fixed, all realigned, and gearbox oil changed and the car is probably worse than before.. am I looking at a knackered gearbox or are there other options?

Supercharged suggested that I should have taken some bottles of Redline MT90 to Stealth and got them to use that instead of whatever else they use normally.. perhaps its worth getting my local garage to drain what I just had put in and get some MT90 in there? Arrgghhh... :(

Jim, my Golf gear selection turned to cr@p over about 2 days. Really notchy, Andy at Awesome checked it for me and it was just the mechanism on top of the box that was bone dry, a quick squirt of grease cured it.

Have a look at that before spending any more cash.

Redline oil improved my Passat no end but the problem was definately in the box. Do all the cheap/free things first.

Gavin

It does all seem to point to that thing Kev.. I wouldn't know where to begin with removing it, and have no idea what parts I would need to put it back to stock again.

I have heard from quite a few peeps with Roccos over in Germany that after a gearbox oil change, they felt that changing gears was a lot worse than before the oil change, and that with time it will improve.

I have no idea as to why this should be the case, but possibly your gearbox might start behaving itself as well after some time.

Can't comment too much on the short shift kit, as I've no experience with cable shifter short shift kits, just the rod shifter kits.

Well, no later than this Sunday, quite a few here should be able to have a look and listen ;-) or PM me, if you're desperate.

Tempest

It does all seem to point to that thing Kev.. I wouldn't know where to begin with removing it, and have no idea what parts I would need to put it back to stock again.

You need to find a standard stick mate! The Corrado setup is really good when aligned properly etc....mine is way better than my mate's MK4 Golf shift but mine has always had a really good shift quality for some reason.

I have heard from quite a few peeps with Roccos over in Germany that after a gearbox oil change, they felt that changing gears was a lot worse than before the oil change, and that with time it will improve.

I have no idea as to why this should be the case, but possibly your gearbox might start behaving itself as well after some time.

Can't comment too much on the short shift kit, as I've no experience with cable shifter short shift kits, just the rod shifter kits.

Well, no later than this Sunday, quite a few here should be able to have a look and listen ;-) or PM me, if you're desperate.

Tempest

Thanks Eric, as ever :)

Hm.. could you PM me the kind of money you are after for it? Pay day Thursday so might as well start setting aside money for more repairs, etc! :)

Actually will PM you.. hehe.