Sign in to follow this  
fla

Stub Axle replacement

My rear bearings have been sounding a bit dodgy recently - havent replaced them yet but it looks like the rear (LH) stub axle is crooked. From a distance the wheel looks like its pointing to the right ever so slightly, which I guess may be the cause of the noise and bearing wear. I'm going to get the tracking done but if it is the stub axle, where can i get one, how much and is it fairly straightforward? What tools will i need?

Thanks all.

The stub axle isn't expensive IIRC- maybe £25-£35 quid and its not a big job to change.

If i was being honest you would have to have given it a pretty good whack to bend the stub axle (Like spinning it into a kerb, going backwards like me..), and even then it would have to be bent like a banana before you could notice its effect on the wheel camber...

Mike

OK, should I just get the alignment done and adjusted as needed?

BTW, can a mod please move this to drivetrain (dont know how i posted it in Suppliers)

...and as if by magic... ;)

The stub axle is only held on by a few large bolts so is pretty easy to change... IIRC Euro and GSF both sell 'em...

Personally, I'd get someone to have a GOOD look at the rear axle too to make sure it's not bent as well... :|

4 of the buggers, 15mm I think....the deflector plate needs to come off first to get at them though....which will no doubt mean it needs to be dremelled off !

Its going in for an inspection tomorrow so I'll know either way tomorrow evening. Fingers crossed for the bill...