stormseeker

Wheel Bearing nut worked loose

Investigated the horrible scraping/grinding noise on RH lock at the weekend to find a whole load of play in the front o/s wheel bearing and seized wheel bolts (must've been getting quite warm :shock: :oops: )

So, took it into local garage. They managed to get the wheel bolts undone ( :-) ) and told me that the wheel bearing nut was just loose :shock: - they tightened it up, and they tell me there's now no play or noise on road test...

Just a bit shocked on how it could've worked itself loose, and more scarily might it have fallen off :shock: ???

What sort of retaining arrangement on the nut is there (bear in mind I haven't seen one as I couldn't get the b'stard wheel off!) - castleated jobbie & split pin???

they are just a self locking nut, some cars have a split pin (mostly jap stuff) but not vws. sometimes they get loose it happened my golf during the summer. Not sure what causes it to be honest.

Just a bit shocked on how it could've worked itself loose, and more scarily might it have fallen off :shock: ???

It wasn't torqued up correctly when last removed. It needs to be tightened to 200ft/lb! Has the car got evidence of a CV joint or bearing change on that axle?

What sort of retaining arrangement on the nut is there (bear in mind I haven't seen one as I couldn't get the b'stard wheel off!) - castleated jobbie & split pin???

There is no mechanical nut restraint.....the correct torque is what stops it unwinding :wink:

It wasn't torqued up correctly when last removed. It needs to be tightened to 200ft/lb! Has the car got evidence of a CV joint or bearing change on that axle?

Haven't noticed anything, and in the last 2 years and one day since I bought the car it certainly hasn't been off.... :?:

Hmmm, you've either just been unlucky and the victim of a rare occurence, or the previous owners had some work done down there in the past and perhaps didn't document it.

Dunno for sure but resecure the driveshaft with a fresh nut and some thread lock.

Funny mine was the same when I bought it.Seems quite common for them to work loose,just make sure they are torqued up properly and that puts a stop to them loosening 8)

Dunno for sure but resecure the driveshaft with a fresh nut and some thread lock.

When applying threadlock does the torque change on the nut?

Vw do not specify threadlock on these nuts and liquid threadlock is a lubricant so will change the torque setting.

Do not use any threadlocking compound unless you have to or it is specific requirement to the bolt / nut

The original bolts are self locking with nylon insert so should not come loose if correctly torqued

The original bolts are self locking with nylon insert so should not come loose if correctly torqued

What probably happened then was the original was re-used so worked loose...

Yep, which is what I said.

If an aftermarket CV was fitted in the past, there's every chance the nut may not have a nylon insert. I've seen some CV kits supplied with non locking nuts.

happened on my golf for the same reason the guys say no threadlock compound left on the threads get a new vag nut and be safe in the knowledge it wont happen again!

Just been down to the garage to have mine checked, as was having a very similar grating noise on lock. Once up on the ramp found that there was excessive play in the RH front wheel and was also fixed by tightening the nut.... hence now finding this thread!

Equally confused as to why this worked it's way loose, as the bearings were changed years ago and it's only been apparent for the last week or two. Will probably get a new nut just to be on the safe side in case the locking strip on the nut is loosing its locking ability!

Having just had a 288 brake upgrade I presume that this wouldn't have been touched during that?

Cheers

Phil

Bearings are checked for play when you have a MOT but with older cars it sometimes pays to check everything over once purchased, as you never know what sort of person worked on it last. All the driveshaft bolts were loose on my VR when I bought it last year.

Edited by Human Joist

I ordered new hub nuts for mine while i was rebuilding it, then found out the new bearings i bought came with the nuts, then also found out the cv joints also come with new hub nuts, so i seem to have hub nuts everywhere!! :lol:

If your garage is incompetent they might have put copper anti-seize on the threads - one I used did this and combined it with not tightening the bolts fully with the result that one wheel dropped off...

Stone

If your garage is incompetent they might have put copper anti-seize on the threads - one I used did this and combined it with not tightening the bolts fully with the result that one wheel dropped off...

Stone

Not on your Raddo!!!!

I ordered new hub nuts for mine while i was rebuilding it, then found out the new bearings i bought came with the nuts, then also found out the cv joints also come with new hub nuts, so i seem to have hub nuts everywhere!! :lol:

Start an EC hub nut mountain?

Upto Corrado Chassis 50KR000898 (built 1st week in September 1993), the “non” plus running gear hub nut is torque to 265NM (195 lb ft). The nut is self locking.

No other special instructions, just a straight tightening.

----------------------------------------

How ever..................

From Corrado Chassis 50KR000898, the Plus Running Gear Hub Nut is self locking. Tighting as follows:

(Doesn’t matter what engine size, the suspension hub is governed by a chassis break).

- Fit the Hub Nut and tighten as possible by hand. No locking fluid/paste is necessary.

- Wheel is not to be on the ground with car’s weight until fully tightened as below, otherwise hub bearing damage can occur.

- With a second person in the driver’s position, press/apply the foot brake hard and hold each time a tightening of the Hub Nut has to occur below.

- Tighten the Hub Nut to 200Nm (148 lb ft). Then loosen by one turn.

- Pre-tighten to 50Nm (37 lb ft).

- Now take one of the 12 peak points of the Hub Nut circumference and mark it (a).

- Now move to one high point further round in the tightening direction of the Hub Nut’s 12 peak points and mark the bearing shell/hub lip (b).

(This is the equivalent of 30° angle of turn on the Hub in the tightening direction of rotation.)

- Turn and tighten the Hub Nut with socket tool so that the Nut mark (a) to align with the Hub lip (b).

- That’s the tightening finished for the Plus Running Gear Hub.

----------------------------------------------------------

All VW supplied Hub replacements from Parts Dept.'s from late 1994 onwards have been supplied as Plus Running Gear standard for all Corrados 1988 - 1995 build.

Edited by RW1

Ah, the advice from RW1 may be too late then as the nut was tightened with the weight of the car on it as a straight forward tightening, so may have damaged the bearing. Is it worth re-doing this or is the damage already done having driven 18 miles home this evening?

PS - Garage that did the bearings know what they're doing, so wouldn't have been this...

Edited by pbradley98