Sign in to follow this  
paddyg

Is this normal???

Ok Ive my Corrado a few days and Im already posting problems :roll: Anyway it might not be a problem yet but here goes...

Every time I turn on the keys to ‘ON’ I hear a short (3/4 secs long) “bizzzz” noise and then it stops, then when I start up the car I hear the bizzzz noise going constantly. This can barely be heard inside the car but opening the drivers door and it becomes much more clearer and it sounds like its coming from just underneath the car maybe a little bit behind the drivers seat!

A friend who would know a lot about cars, said that it was the fuel pump and that it was quite normal...

Im just alarmed that it is so loud! Is it cos its such an old car or is it that its knackered?

Its loud enough so that if standing at the drivers door talking, their attention is drawn to this constant bizzzz noise that they can hear over the idling engine???

I always heard that a buzzing fuel pump was a sign that it was on its way out, but I had it for the year or so that I owned my 2.0 16v and it never gave up on me. Might be worth getting your fuel filter changed though, as it could be the sound of the pump straining extra hard thanks to a tired old, blocked up fuel filter?

Aye, it's the fuel pump whining. It's in the petrol tank, on the driver's side of the car.

Changing the fuel filter should certainly help as it's unlikely to have ever been changed. Mine was like black tar inside when I changed it, so well worth the £15. It's certainly cheaper than £70+ for a new pump...

Mine's been as loud as heck for ages - no bother. I do intend to chance the fuel filter soon though because it doesn't look like it's ever been done!

It isn't always in the tank, on a 1.8 Valver or G60 it is mounted just in front of the axle on the drivers side!

The valvers got 2, one in the tank and one infront of the axle, on the 2 G60's ive had a look at they only have the one in the tank