Sign in to follow this  
golfg60

To service or not to service?

Hi chaps,

I have a G60 on an H plate. I would like to do all the servicing myself but i am worried that i'll lose money when i come to sell it because the book won't be stamped. Just wondered what everybody else does, ie keep a folder full of receipts for oil etc??

Cheers

Tom

Well.... if having a fully stamped up service history is a worry for you, just take your car to VW for its oil and filter change and they will stamp the book.. don't let them do anything else! Then do all the rest of the servicing yourself, and document it all and keep all the reciepts for the parts you have bought.

A VW stamp in the book, but safe in the knowledge you haven't let the 'trainee' loose on your pride and joy on anything other than the oil filter :)

I don't think a VWFSH is as important with a car like a G60 as most people who would be interested in buying the car when you are selling on will know that it's not that important and will be more interested in seeing receipts for other work done to the car. I do all the work to my own cars and just record it all in a book.

i do all my own servicing but i keep the receipts and log what i do, with the age and value of these cars i think its s/h is not important

and knowing the quality of people who service cars at dealers i'd much rather buy off someone who knows what they are talking about

The people I know that get their cars dealer serviced never collect the car with a sense of satisfaction and money well spent. They do it because they feel they have to in order to protect their investment.

Granted some folk lack the necessary spanner skills and others just have too much money to care......but for as long as I am still able to drive, no dealer is ever going to charge me £100 for an oil change.

Personally, seeing as how I'll have pretty much rebuilt the car myself, with photo rebuild evidence and a stack of receipts to prove, I don't think anyone will really care much that I don't have service stamps in the book 'cos I serviced it myself! :lol:

Most people who are after Corrados now are happy if you can show that you know what you're doing, have receipts for the parts you've used, have used GOOD quality OE parts... personally, a FVWSH is actually a turn off for a car of this age as VW dealers really don't have a clue about cars like these anymore... :roll: :|

Personally, seeing as how I'll have pretty much rebuilt the car myself, with photo rebuild evidence and a stack of receipts to prove, I don't think anyone will really care much that I don't have service stamps in the book 'cos I serviced it myself! :lol:

Most people who are after Corrados now are happy if you can show that you know what you're doing, have receipts for the parts you've used, have used GOOD quality OE parts... personally, a FVWSH is actually a turn off for a car of this age as VW dealers really don't have a clue about cars like these anymore... :roll: :|

My sentiments exactly that man :!: :D