Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

First mods suggestions

OK, loving my new beasty, but anyone recommend a must have first mod? Induction kit fitted day one (mine was 100 stock 94 vr). Still paying the other half back 1500 but recon i can skim a 1er - 200 off for mods.

I was thinking back box, eye brows or s/wheel. Not over keen on lots of body mods so any suggestions? (alloys will have to wait!) I should do the brake discs as they are hinting at warpage, but hey, that just boring.

Thrill me with your knowledge of improving the best yet further........please

well if the discs are past there best,use it as an excuse to uprate maybe?

i dunno my self if theres any good disc/pad combinations for a vr6?

id say a bacbox is a bit...pointless really unless you just want it to look better and last longer?

not so pointless then,its all about finding excuses to uprate bits :lol:

neil.

Wise words, brakes are important. Anyone know of any decent upgrade combos? G&S drilled zimmers? I've done those on all my other dubs.

You've just made me miss my mk1 even more!

I hate to mention it, but do vw do mud flaps for the raddo??

Personally, Id get the brakes done i.e look at getting uprated discs and pads and a brake fluid change

As my old workshop teacher told me on my first day "The first thing you must know about every machine in here, is how to switch the f**kers off."

Call me old fashioned but i'd much rather be able to stop quickly than accelerate quickly.

Sorry Nick, I know that sounds boring!

Anyone got any opinions on EBC brakes? Especially their discs

hey, no worries, your both right! Plus im glad someones is replying to my threads tonight! Any advice on the flaps so to speak?

re:the mudflaps,good idea,ive noticed the dirt/crap sprays down the sides pretty bad. :mad:

been looking for mudflaps for a while,wanted sommet subtle/diffarent/some kind of vw/g60 type badge???

ya know? sorry i know there just mudflaps like :drinking: :lol:

won some plain ones in the end off ebay,here,7.99 delivered and there,well? spot on! 8)

couldnt leave them plain! also got these to stick on em... :lol:

God do i need broadband! Spot on will check out there shop when the page loads!!!! Still want more though, any thoughts on the eyebrows? take they do them for the raddo? What are the wheels on yours? Are they porche, they look a bit like the la castels off mk1 late cabs, but with black detailing??

yep you can get the eyebrows,small or deep ones,not sure where from?

have you got any pics of the c?

is it on the standard wipers?

do they work ok?

yep porsche design 90's 8x16 with black inners,they are a bit le castaletteish,aye :lol:

neil.

cool, ill find-em. Have some picks i was sent before looking at the C. Will sort some better ones though this weekend if the polish does'nt freeze! It was advertised on here actually. Midnight blue pearl, standard VR 118k, great body work, one door mark alloys "ok" rest is mint, no driver seat wear, well chuffed so far. And, its faster than the wifes vento vr, that the best bit!!

I had EBC Turbo groove discs and Green stuff pads on my old Polo and they were were the worst brakes I have ever used. The pads didn't work from cold very well and overheated very quickly. I was in Wales following a slow car down a hill so the brakes were on for a while. I smelt burning and started to actually need to use my strength on the brake pedal to get the car to slow down at all! Eventually I pulled over in a car park and there was smoke coming off the pads and the alloy wheel was hot! Also the discs warped and had to be machined true again!

I had EBC Turbo groove discs and Green stuff pads on my old Polo and they were were the worst brakes I have ever used. The pads didn't work from cold very well and overheated very quickly. I was in Wales following a slow car down a hill so the brakes were on for a while. I smelt burning and started to actually need to use my strength on the brake pedal to get the car to slow down at all! Eventually I pulled over in a car park and there was smoke coming off the pads and the alloy wheel was hot! Also the discs warped and had to be machined true again!

Blimey, dont think I'll be buying EBC stuff then. Anyone got any suggestions for disc and pad upgrade. Really want the drilled/ grooved look!

For decent brakes just get new VAG discs and Pagid Fast Road Pads but if you want them to look good as well, go for Black Diamond discs or the ATE Grooved that Eurocarparts sell or the Brembo Max from GSF...

Don't waste your money on Drilled and grooved discs, they do precisely squat in standard sized guise.

Spend the money on a 288 setup instead and get much stronger brakes inot the bargain.

Even standard pads are fine for normal use. Fast road pads will work better at high temperatures but if you're a normal driver like 99% of people I'm sure a standard set up would be OK. A better upgrade would be some braided lines to firm up pedal feel a bit.

Yeah braided hoses help but Pagid Fast road pads are good upgrade. They work well at all temperatures, but the only downside is they're dusty and they smell of fish, LOL!

Standard discs + pagid fast rd pads, lupo wipers, uprated headlight loom (still need to do this myself!), some tubing to duct the cone filter through the carbon can hole into the front bumper- just done this and it's made quite a difference.