Sign in to follow this  
Ice White Socks

TPS Readings out of spec

Hello,

Still suffering from a VR that runs like a bag of spanners :( , The TPS on Vag-com shows a range of 14-84 degrees- though I believe it should go over 90 at WOT.

Could this cause running problems? will I need a new TPS or can I just tighten the throttle cable or reset using vag-com?

Cheers

Mike

Should actually read between 13 and 90 degrees. Kevhaywire is really your man here as he can guide you in its setup

My TPS range is 14.6 to 94 degrees, needs to be a little lower at rest really but the engine seems OK with it. Is your pedal stop screwed in fully?

There is a way of getting it above 90 degrees but it's a bit heath robinson. You enlarge the brass nutserts in the TPS to allow some adjustment. Using VAG-COM and a brick or broom pressing on the throttle (engine off!) twiddle the TPS (after you've enlarged the holes) until you get your 90 degress. Check the idle is still at 13 to 14 afterwards.

Enlarge the TPS nutserts by 0.5mm at a time. If you go straight in there with a big drill you'll dig into the nutserts out of the plastic body.

There's probably a way of doing this on the the throttle body but I don't know what you adjust. My method does the trick and it's quick and easy to do.

Unplug the Intake temp sender and blue coolant sender (one at a time) and see if the engine pulls any differently. You might need to go through all the sensors in this manner to isolate the problem and also check for manifold leaks etc allowing unmetered air into the engine.

Wahey- sorted this over the weekend- I was down on power by approx 30bhp and my Vag-com was delayed in arriving so I just went for the Cam Pos Sensor and got all the power back but then it ran badly on part throttle, overun etc..

Anyway- must somehow have changed the throttle cable run when I had the engine covers off- result being that I was hitting the pedal stop before the butterfly was fully open! Tightened the throttle cable up, reset the ECU and now I have got my old VR back :) :) - I had forgotten how nice it sounded and what smile it puts on your face.

Haven't rechecked the TPS for range yet but my guess it will be back in spec.

Cheers for the advice on this though