Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Attention all broken sunroof owners

And here it is, the infamous 'repair kit' in all it's glory. £55 inc VAT will have your roof working again. Please note the small miscellaneous parts in the bag and that both offside and nearside cables and guides are included in the kit. A full overhaul and fitment guide will be coming in due course.

Kev

Cheers for that! Had a big chat with a couple of parts guys but they still couldn'g agree the part number or what was in the kit. I shall order one ASAP.

Have you got it fitted yet?

Yes indeed I have but I failed in getting it working properly! The problem in my case is that the sunroof was never used from new (judging by the lack of wear marks on the runners) and when I attempted to use it, the cable guide snapped. Consequently, those new cable guides are mega stiff in the guide rails and the motor cannot overcome it. So I just use the roof manually with the emergency crank (supplied under the motor cover). Over time I will apply grease and crank it back and forth daily and one day, hopefully, it will free off a bit so that the motor can take over. Wishful thinking I fear but at least it works and it does so beautifully, tilting and sliding as new.....just by hand!!

I've have taken pictures of the whole process and will get round to doing a guide at some point.

My advice is to fit the cable guides first (click on pics below), once you've stripped the subframe, and run them up and down by hand until there is little resistance, otherwise the motor will struggle. You may need to sand them down a little but not too much or the roof will rattle.

Another top tip is to replace the little rubber ends on the chrome slide stops with some bigger bore rubber tubing as it's these stops that prevent the roof sliding back.

Let me know if you need any more tips and hints.

Ta

Kev

Yes indeed I have but I failed in getting it working properly!

Well Kev I'm in the same boat :cry: my attempt seemed to have been a spectacular failure. I got the assembly all out without any problem. I found my problem was that both guides had snapped :? Lucky that the repair kit has two! Anyway after mush stripping and cleaning I got the new cables and guide blocks on. The mechanism moved easily in the slides freely and I was pretty pleased with my self... The roof would slide back all the way, come forward and then tilt all as it shoud.

I then re-attached internal roof part and the mechanism got snagged on one side :cry: After dropping out the motor (several times) I got the guides straight again and tried it with the roof attached. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it all to work together :?

After almost stamping on the whole thing I calmed down and had a cuppa then tried again. Got the roof attached and sliding back OK so re-mounted the subframe in the car. I managed to get the internal roof part to slot in fine this time :? but it made the winding the mechanism a lot harder.

End result was the roof will now slide back and forwards ok but the motor will only click when button is pressed :cry: Tilting is not an option as one of the little handles (that lifts the internal flap) is missing altogether. I didn't lose it - it was never there :?

To put the icing on my cake the roof will not close in the hole properly. If I remove all the bolt that hold the panel on it sits nicely but if I try to get it screwed in it lifts slightly at the back so there is no seal. Not watertight either :x The problem is the assembly that the roof attaches too is just slightly too high. That can't be adjusted as far as I can tell.

So the car is all back together and the roof slides back with the key and quite frankly I've had enough of it.. not sure where to go from here. :cry:

Kev - quick question for you.. when you fitted the roof was there a little lever (looks like a finger size handle that turns 90 degrees. It's purpose is to help lift the inside of the interior roof lining when its in the tilt position. ETKA number is 357 877 269(70)

Mine only had one on the passenger side and I managed to snap it :( but the one on the drivers side was missing!? I just wanted to confirm it should be on both sides..

Yeah I know the parts you mean, they lift the roof liner as you say and yes you need one on each side! Mine works absolutely perfectly manually and it's gradually becoming less stiff since Mike Edwards recommended using some white grease (Comma, Halfords sell it).

You know when you reassembled it, did you make sure the cables were synchronized? By that I mean both guides run exactly parallel to eachother. I didn't the first time round and it caused allsorts of panel twisting and groaning noises. To rectify this I removed the motor and made sure the two chrome peices with a little wheel and rubber end were in their detents (by moving them into postion by hand) and the reattached the motor. Perfectly sync'd now.

Speaking of the rubber ends on the roof sliders, try using some bigger diameter rubber tubing. It helps a LOT! I will take some pics for you if you need me to?

I also lined the roof behind the sunroof aperture with felt to stop the dreaded sunroof scratching too. It's all pretty solid now and functional, but just not motorised! Sod it, I don't care really, so long as it does open at all, I am happy!

Kev

Cheers Kev - I had another play tonight with the roof still in the car. I have greased the tracks to death but in my haste didn't re-grease the tubes that the cables run in very well. I think all the little hairs from the old guides do a good job of clogging the channels too :( I think I'm gonna when I get time have to remove the whole thing and jetwash the subframe to get the most of the old grease out of the tracks.

The roof wound back ok today but whilst winding it forward the left side jammed :mad:

fortunately I am becoming pretty goog at alligning and closing the roof when it sticks. I just undo the motor bolts and the roof slides really easily. Then just re-attach and wind the last bit closed.

The motor is still puzzling me though. It was working before I started but now it just clicks. I thought it was just overloading but it does the same with the motor detached too :(

Speaking of the rubber ends on the roof sliders, try using some bigger diameter rubber tubing. It helps a LOT! I will take some pics for you if you need me to?

I would appreciate it if you could. Please don't if you have to drop the roof lining though :!: You have lost me here. What does the rubber tubing do exactly? My roof kit has little plastic plug that fit in the end of the subframe. I guess their job is to stop the grease coming out and the rails going back to far!?

Sure thing Boss....

Picture A shows the chrome peice I described with some larger hosing on the end. What happens is the cable guide goes back, strikes the chrome moulding in the pic, lifts the wheel out of the detent and then slides the roof back. Some people find that the wheel goes too deep into the detent and the roof just will not slide at all. Using the bigger rubber piece stops the wheel going too deep into the detent. Hope that makes sense!

Picture B shows the felt I used to stop vibrations and scratching.

Picture C shows the little arm that lifts the sunroof liner with the panel in tilt mode!

Picture D shows the little hole I drilled for the motor crank so I can use the roof manually!

Cheers

Kev

Thanks Kev, your a gent. :D I'll order some of the 'arms' tommorow and see if they make a difference. I think I'm gonna have to strip it all again to clean the tracks and re grease properly though.

..still should take less than 6 hours this time as I'll know what I'm doing... sort of ;)

Chaps,

If the little plastic cover that goes over the manual drive allen key thingy on the sunroof motor isn't covering said thingy the motor will not turn (and just makes clicking noises).

Don't ask me why, but if you want the motor to do the hard work for you, rotate the cover so that it hides the thingy. :)

I might be smiling, but I'm not joking...

LOL, Mike you are kidding me??? All the while I thought my motor was screwed, it was down to the cover thingy being open! You absolute genius! I guess we all learn the hard way :x Thank the lord for this forum!!

I'll try that tomorrow but I've kind of become accustomed to the manual cranking, LOL!

Thanks again.

The motor is still puzzling me though. It was working before I started but now it just clicks. I thought it was just overloading but it does the same with the motor detached too :(

I think I had the same problem. Here we go.

1. Take off the frame again. check where the motor interfaces with the screw tread on the feeder cords in the frame. Is there a small piece of metal which sort of caps over the screw-thread? Its about 1cm by 1.5 cm and curved. If it isnt there then the absence of that bit will prevent your motor from engaging properly.

2. If the damn thing is offset, ie it wont shut centre on, you have to mark the thing, remove the motor, move the cords by hand, until it closes, then put the motor back it.

Em me if you need more help. Its a patience thing, not for people who have lives.....

Don't ask me why, but if you want the motor to do the hard work for you, rotate the cover so that it hides the thingy.

There is a switch connected to the cover, to stop you having your fingers off, if you use the switch with the allen key in.

Ingenius and the cause of many unnecessary motor replacements!! :shock:

Gavin

And mine doesn't lower the wind deflector when it closes (I have to close my fingers in it first whilst pulling down the wind deflector :shock: ). Is this going to mean complete replacement or is there a part or a refit that will fix this?

kevhaywire,

is that sunroof kit suitable for repairing mine? im not sure!

the sunroof will only tilt down on one side and will not slide at all!!!

it will tilt down again if you stick a screwdriver in it and slide it back manually but im not sure wether the kit is suitable. :?:

any help appreciated,

cheers

Yeah that kit is for all Corrado sunroofs.

Sounds like one of your cable guides has sheared if one side is coming down from a tilt and the other side isn't. A classic sign.

You'll be needing the overhaul kit by the sounds of it. It's not too bad a job.

just to reopen this thread........ my sunroof goes up n down, but not back. Had a good look at it..... it seems to sit all level n true, so I'm thinking the cables haven't sheared.. and I can't see any possible breakages. The rubber bungs on the end of the arms are well worn down.. could it just be some as simple as replacing them?????

Why is it that when i phoned the dealers and i quoted them that repair kit part number he said it's only for one side?

Is he mistaken ?

Blimey, The guy Rawhide posting about the sunroof was the previous owner of my car.

Guess I know what the problems are now. Maybee leave it till the summer caus I dont fancy taking all the subframes out and dropping the headlining.

My sunroof was working fine before the winter and now it's cocking-well siezed through lack of use. It'll tilt and almost slide but not quite. Another part that isn't getting fixed! Grrrr...