KADVR6

288mm brakes

bought a set of these for my car, gonna fit next weekend is there anything different with these, or it a simple job of just swapping them over. also what is the torque setting for the carrier bolts? :D

Replacement parts you need are:

Calipers

Carriers

Pads

Disks

Hoses

If youve got all that the only thing you need to worry about is the copper brake pipes being seized to the existing hoses. Good luck.

I'll agree with Joe, his C was going AND stopping well at Oulton the other week. Right up to the point where..................

Gavin

Are 288's a big improvement over the standard VR brakes? Let us know how you get on

Yep, the Pads are 50% bigger if not more...

well worth it. Did that mod about 3 months ago on my vr6. Never looked back. What a difference!!

T.

Same as the '97 on mk3 vr6, mk4's are possibly the same as well. Difference is it fits to the caliper with a banjo bolt.

Yeah another recommendation for the 288s....if you want to boost the brakes and stick with 15s, these and MK4 rears are the best you can do to a C VR without spending a fortune.

Costs - Calipers, Carriers & hoses usually around £80 to £100 from breakers

Pads - About £40 (pagid fast road)

Discs - Golf VR6 - £35ish each from VW

Where you notice the improvement most is in the high speed braking and when pressing the pedal firmly at lower speeds. I could get the 280s to fade easily but have yet to get the 288s to fade!

so can you put these on a 2l 16v, if so where can i get the hoses from?

Not sure, you might need the VR6 hubs. I've seen a MK2 Golf with 288 brakes but they were 5 stud so he obviously transferred the lot. The 288 carrier might not fit the 16V hub.

Hoses come with the calipers off the donor car.... or you can buy Goodridge ones for about £30 from Stealth.

fitted these brakes on tuesday, and the pads & disks have done about 2 hundred miles. & oh my god what a difference, wish i did this when i first had the car, this is a top mod, :D

Much better aren't they! When they're fully bedded in (seem to take a while), find a quiet road and jump on them at 100mph and see how much quicker they slow you down than the 280s!

did that about an hour ago, it reminded me of the days doing endos on my bmx, it felt like the rear of the car was lifting of the ground? :D

:lol: I only realised today that I've got 288's on my Mk3 GTI, but then my ditch finder special tyres are by far the weakest link in the stopping chain.

That and the saggy suspension...

I find the ABS kicks in rather alot more now, and that's on dry roads!! :)

T.

Same here!

I can feel a " The things the Corrado SHOULD have had from the start" list coming on.....

For the VR (imo):-

288 brakes

Shrick or VSR

Lupo wipers

One of Gav's headlight looms

3.6 diff

VT engine mounts

Better ABS system (for a firmer pedal)

A sunroof not made by Rockwell international

etc etc

These are great brakes, I've been running them for a while. I paid $40 Canadian for both front calipers complete with pads brand new. I did have to have a couple brake lines made up though so they would match the rest of my brake lines. These calipers can also be fitted to the G60 if you use Seat rotors, here's some of my findings on these brakes DE Brakes. In North America these were origianally know as Drivers Edition brakes and were a factory upgrade for the VR6 A3 Golf and Jettas (you guys call this one something else but we have always called it a Jetta) and came powder coated in red. A buddy who owns a parts place over here bought about 100 sets or so of these brakes when VW was clearing out old stock.

Cheers, Dennis

Good info as always Dennis...

Our MK3 Jetta was called the Vento. Is the MK4 still called a Jetta over there or is it the Bora as it is over here?

I've got braided hoses all round (all 6) and the 288s with pagid pads and getting into a standard VR6 again soon highlights how poor the original brakes are. Totally inadequate for a car with such performance imo. The MK4 rear calipers with the thicker MK4 pads firms up the pedal no end and the handbrake actually works now too.