KADVR6

288mm brakes

SORRY IF THIS IS A STUPID QUESTION BUT COULD SOMONE PLEASE PUT ME IN THE KNOW!!

DO I BASICLY NEED THE ENTIRE FRONT BRAKING SYSTEM OFF A LATE 97 VR6 GOLF. DISCS,PADS,CALLIPERS,HANGERS AND HOSES? DO THE NEW HANGERS BOLT ON TO MY STRUTTS OK, OR CAN I INDEED USE MY ORIGONAL HANGERS?

I DO LIKE THE IDEA OF MY CORRADO STOPPING AS WELL AS IT GOES THOUGH, SO I JUST NEED ONE OF YOU TO GIVE ME A BIT OF INFO PLEASE!

INFO IT SEEMS IS NOT IN SHORT SUPPLY ON THIS SITE!!

THANKS TREVR6

Easy on the cap-lock there cowboy, you'll give us a head ache.

For your car you will need:

288mm rotors (2)

Front flex hose with banjo bolts (2)

Front calipers (2)

Front caliper / pad carriers (2)

Front brake pads (1 set)

All of these should be off the A3 VR6 with the 288mm brakes and everything else will work fine. The newer A4 Golf / Jettas come with the 288mm brakes here so you may be able to find those and install them as well.

In North America we first saw the Golf in 1975 and it was called the Rabbit and this was around until 1984. The Rabbit from 1981 to 1984 was made in the USA and was a little different from yours but it was still on the A1 Chassis. In 1985 we saw the A2 chassis Golf and it was called the Golf and was never changed after that. We first saw the A1 Jetta in 1981 and the name has been the same here right up to the 2005 A5 Jetta. In North America 4 door sedans have always been bigger sellers than hatch backs so I guess VW didn't want to change anything. We never saw Jettas badged as a Vento or Bora over here.

Cheers, Dennis

And I think i'm correct in saying if you manage to get some V6 4motion carries (expensive new and rare second hand), you can fit 305mm discs..

Any one know where you can get carriers for 288mm conv. from new or prices from vw. Or are they strictly "breakers only" Also the hoses i've matched up on "brakes international" are screw in type like the origonal, not banjo bolts like you all say, can any one shed any light,

Thanks Trev.

I guess brakes international is wrong or you have different 288mm brakes in the UK than what we see in North America. The OE brakes on the Corrado with 11" rotors all use screw in hoses but the 11.3" here use banjo bolts, here's the end of an OE hose...

http://members.shaw.ca/vr6_corrado-1/BrakeHose1.jpg

And here's one of the DE calipers in North America...

http://members.shaw.ca/vr6_corrado/DE-Frnt.jpg

Tanks it for what's its worth, I can tell you first hand that I have installed many of these calipers and they all used the same hoses.

Cheers, Dennis

Thanks Dennis, With the help of your photos I've got the correct hoses found, Thanks again,Trev

Just need to source some carriers now!!???? :scratch:

I think most newer A4 chassis VW's will also have these caliper carriers so you might want to look at those. I checked the part numbers using the North American EKTA and they are the same over here so if you have any better luck with the newer cars then that may be the way to go. As long as it has the 288 mm rotors then the carriers should work for you.

I actually have braided brake lines on my car, the feel and modulation are untouchable compared to rubber. I would highly recommend you find a set of these for top performance...

http://members.shaw.ca/vr6_corrado-1/DE-Lines.jpg

Cheers, Dennis

i think i got a bargain then, i only paid £49 for the entire lot of ebay, including zimmerman drilled disks & pagid fr pads, i love it when no one sees a bargain :D

i think i got a bargain then, i only paid £49 for the entire lot of ebay, including zimmerman drilled disks & pagid fr pads, i love it when no one sees a bargain :D

:shock: :shock:

Total bargain!!! Well done...

T.

i was expecting them to go for loads more with everyone on here always looking for a bargain, :D

Ok, time to dredge this up again...

I've got me some 288mm callipers and carriers from a Mk4 Golf and the Mk2 -> Mk4 Goodridge hoses that I bought from Stealth.

However, the bolt that holds the banjo into the calliper has the wrong thread size on it. It would appear that the ones I have in the Goodridge kit are M10 with 1mm thread, so I would presume that I need the M10 with 1.25mm thread.

I shall mostly be buying these from http://www.raceparts-direct.com/ for about £6 all in because VW want to charge me £14+VAT for a whole flippin flexi hose :roll:

I know someone who tried to fit a 288 setup from a mk4 to his VR6 and ran into problems. I think you need a spacer or something as the carriers are slightly different to the mk3/corrado ones.

I'd just like to add that I've no personal experience of this it's just what I heard. So something to watch out for.....

The carriers need to come from a MK3 Golf as Golf 4s have a different offset disc, which is why when you do the 312 setup, you need stick washers behind the carrier to centralise the caliper over the disc.

If you get the 288 calipers, hoses and calipers from a Highline, it all bolts straight on. If you get the calipers from a MK4, you need the Highline carriers and discs.

The Golf 3 never had anything bigger than 288, so washers and MK4 (or TT, same offset) discs and carriers for the 312 are a necessity....but it's all easy to sort.

Nothing like hitting the middle pedal at speed safe in the knowledge that your front brakes will work perfectly due to the washers you fitted to the system earlier ;)

You want to throw in a few cable ties for good measure? :lol:

However, the bolt that holds the banjo into the calliper has the wrong thread size on it. It would appear that the ones I have in the Goodridge kit are M10 with 1mm thread, so I would presume that I need the M10 with 1.25mm thread.

Try screwing the banjo bolt into the caliper with a spanner, I thought I had the wrong bolt with the mrk iv rears, after a couple of turns I found it was the finishing on the bolt that caused the stiffness in screwing it in :oops:

Be careful tho for me it wasn’t obvious I had the wrong thread, it may be different in your case as Im not familiar with 288 calipers.

I haven't touched the things, they're dirty :lol: I'm just going by what the garage told me.

They did manage to get hold of one banjo bolt which they said was the right size, so I guess it's right.

Interestingly, the guy said he'd put the callipers and disks on and the callipers didn't touch the disks, so maybe I don't need washers. I didn't ask how much it didn't touch the disk by tho...

Washer's arent a problem so long as your using the correct spec bolts - standard fitement on the dax front brake upgrade. The banjo's you had were definately the wrong size.

I think you really need to get someone who knows what they're doing with those brakes, those guys shouldnt be asking those sorts of questions. Plus all the Cv grease everywhere made me think that someone had been a bit over enthusiastic removing the old brakes.

Ok, time to dredge this up again...

I've got me some 288mm callipers and carriers from a Mk4 Golf and the Mk2 -> Mk4 Goodridge hoses that I bought from Stealth.

Im pretty sure the mk4 carriers are the same as the mk3 highline ones so you should be ok there. Its the hub thats different on the mk4 hence needing different offset disks.

Chances are if you asked for a Mk2 -> Mk4 Goodridge conversion kit then its the hoses for fitting the rear calipers you got. The hoses you need for the front are from the '96 on mk3 gti/16v/vr6.

The changeover was in '96 at some point, but due to cars sitting for a bit in showrooms and stuff before being registered theres no definate date. I think the 288's came in about mid '96 though, before that will be 280's