Sign in to follow this  
flusted

Removing sound deadening from under bonnet

Whats the best product for removing the sticky stuff left by the sound deadening under the bonnet?

Thanks in advance

Apparently there is a product available in the States that takes care of this stuff a treat called Goo Gone.. though I don't know if you can get anything similar here? I was just reading a similar topic on the Corrado Forum on the VW Vortex :)

you'll need something that wont attack the paint, but is strong enough to 'ave the glue. you could try a bit of cellulose thinners. do a quick test though before you lash it on, to make sure the paint isnt affected (it shouldnt be)

Agree with theRuler.

Thinners is best for most things like that but you have to avoid getting it on stuff like plastics and vulnerable paints which can be softened by it.

As I have said before on here use a "caramel wheel" basically its a giant pencil rubber disc that you put in the end of a drill. It is used by bodyshops to remove trim and badge glue without damaging the paintwork. You can get them from bodyshop supply shops.

Forget thinners etc.. as it just softens it and pushes it around

Hope that helps

Jay

Caramel wheel? Hmm, didn't know such a thing existed. Will have to go hunting for one of those, as my experiments with all sorts of solvents hasn't resulted in anything more than just shifting the sticky goo around :-(

Tempest