Sign in to follow this  
Red=Fast

Can you guys solve the riddle?

Ok, I can’t start my car without having it jumped. My battery won’t hold a charge on a 2 month old optima red top battery even after a long drive. My stereo cuts out while driving. And my lights are much dimmer than normal while driving.

What problem am I?

There is a thin wire which connects to the alternator, it comes along with the red power cable. It´s responsable for the battery charge. Get a voltmeter to find out what´s happening.

Definately sounds like the alternator, check the voltage being supplied when the car is ticking over...

lol that’s what I thought. My roommate seems to think that the car would not even run if the alternator was bad? Wouldn’t the car still run, just not produce a charge?

How about your boot light ?

Im surprised it runs as it needs power for fuel pump etc

[schild=19 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]Alternator starter battery triangle[/schild]

Im surprised it runs as it needs power for fuel pump etc

Fuel pump and other stuff won't draw that much current - a good battery thats being charged a little by a knackered alternator will be ok for a fair while (racecars often don't have an alternator at all). The battery won't have enough charge to provide the 100's of amps required to start it, but the 10 or so to run the fuel pump will be fine for ages.

Editited to say, measure the battery voltage when the engine is running, and if its under 13-14v the alternator is shot.

Check the wiring on the stereo.

Was it installed/adjusted recently?

Sounds like you may have a loose live wire behind there earthing?

So if its earthing, the lights are loosing power, and its draining the battery all the time.

Maybe?

So, I had my battery and alternator tested. My alternator is fine but my battery is toast. Which is weird because I just replaced it like a couple months ago. Whats next...

Definetely agree with the stereo syndrome, same happened me with mine. Wasn't earthed right and all power was being drained quiker than altenator could supply it. If it is a problem with the altenator it would/should show up as warning light on dash. Suggest Check all earthing connections, big task.