Sign in to follow this  
fla

Pressure regulating valve

Just broke the pressure regulating valve today whilst I removed the flexibe bend from the air filter to access the TB. ETKA says this has been superceded by "intake hose p/n 3A0 129 615". What sould I replace it with? Also, the hose to the valve vent (small 3mm pipe) is quite a loose fit - is this normal? Oh, the p/n for th evalve is 021 129 101A.

Thanks chaps.

I had the same issue with mine and what I did was remove the valve and put a straight piece of hose there instead, this is just like the early model VR6's. If you follow this link and check Pic 3, Item # 6 and 7 Underhood VR6 and look you can see the valve is gone and a hose has replaced it. You will have to plug the hose there as well so you don't have a vacuum leak and the charcol (sp) canister purge valve will still work. Kind of hard to tell from the description, is this what you were wondering or did I miss the point?

Cheers, Dennis

OK thanks for that Dennis. Cant quite tell from the picture as it doesnt zoom, but I'll have a bash at it tomorrow. Any particular hose required or will a standard PVC be ok? What pressure does this valve actually control?

Just to be sure, we are talking about the valve that is circled in this pic right?

http://members.shaw.ca/vr6_corrado-3/VR ... rValve.jpg

What I did with this valve was cut the valve off and then a buddy got a piece of oil resistant tubing (you can use heater hose but it will get soft and fall apart after a while, buddy grabbed some aviation tubing for me) and I simply attached the two together using the old piping that was on my car...

http://members.shaw.ca/vr6_corrado-3/VR ... Bypass.jpg

You can see the plastic hoses are still on there, I added hose clamps to seal them properly. If you look at the two hoses you will see they are a female to female joint, I went to the hardware store and got a piece of tubing that would attach the two. If you look at the blue additions to this pic that is what the hoses would look like with a sleeve in between, this way you have something to attach each hose to. As you can see I blocked off the vacuum port and all is good. So if your car had the valve like the top pic this is what I did to correct it without having to buy the whole intake pipe.

Cheers, Dennis

Yep, thats the puppy. As per the link Tekara added it seems that JediKnight had some luck just glueing back together. I'll try both options - replacing with some tubing and glueing the beast and relacing. Dennis, have you had any issues since using it without the valve with just the tubing?

I have had no problems with my set-up, it is exactly the same as the earlier model VR6 Corrado's. Sadly (or good, hard to say) enough we didn't see any Fords in this continent with VR6's so we can't go out and grab this valve. My car starts perfectly and idles very smoothly with the valve missing.

Cheers, Dennis

OK, i'm just going to use a piece of hosing I have left from a coolant system as a joining piece and see how that goes - after giving it a good clean of course! what exactly does this valve do anyway?

It's not a valve as such, but a fine metal mesh which acts as I filter I presume. I chopped one up and there's not a lot to them and I have no idea of the purpose of that silly little hose that sits on top of it!

Dennis is right, early VRs didn't have this filter, it was added on later on in the engine's life..... I suppose in an attempt to reduce oil build up in the inlet but it doesn't work!

It's not a valve as such, but a fine metal mesh which acts as I filter I presume

On the VR6's with a coil pack VW changed the breather piping to include a vacuum actuated valve. This valve which can be seen in the pic below is closed at idle to help the idling characteristics of the motor. The valve opens under throttle to suck oil fumes out of the motor and this device works like a PCV valve used in other cars. This vacuum actuated valve also stops oil fumes from going through the ISV valve when the car is idling.

Because of the design on the motor the throttle body is very close to the crank case breather and the mesh that is jammed into the breather is in all VR6's or should be anyway. This mesh is not used to keep the oil in the motor but is actaully used to stop engine fires from backfires through the intake system that can ignite the oil fumes.

Dennis

http://members.shaw.ca/vr6_corrado-3/VR ... Valve1.jpg

but is actaully used to stop engine fires from backfires through the intake system that can ignite the oil fumes.

Sounds a bit drastic - obviously there is no likelihood of this under normal conditions or you wouldnt have replaced it with a pipe i presume? In fact VW would have had it from the outset if this were a possible major risk factor.