Sign in to follow this  
g-dub

Disapointing 1/4 mile today G60

last month i got two 15.64's (fmic,full exhaust,no-cat,panel filter 17"wheels)

today after fitting a PP head and piper 285 cam i managed only 15.87 and fitted 15" wheels

from what the tickets say i had a quicker start but slower top end from 94mph to 88mph (av)

the head was a stage 2 and isn't the maximum ported but significant enough, but i have only seen a drop of 1-2 psi on my guage is that right?

also the cam seems good, still pulls well to 4k and then it flys (sort of like the hondas vtec to 6.8k)

now as i said the car hasn't been remapped and will most proberbly improve when daz get his mits to it again.

so the question i am actually asking is the head and cam possibly equate to about 20bhp (posibbly :roll: )and i fitted smaller wheels, why is it slower??????????

It is possible that you are not getting enough fuel into the engine, i take it its on standard injectors and fuel pressure regulator? If this is the case your engine management may not be fueling enough.

the secret to getting to good 1/4 times in the g60's. is not to use full throttle in 1st, and get in 2nd straight away. may best at pod is 14.5, worst on that day was 14.9. don't waste time spinning the wheels.

yes it is on standard injectors, i have a 3.5 fpr but the car needs setting up more to fit this (i believe)

the only thing is i'm getting poppin sounds from the exhaust when i change gear at over 5k which leads me to belive that it's over fueling a bit, and the A/F guage seems to report all is fine

and yes to the starting thats what i did pulled away slowly as soon as i was moving floored it, not that much wheelspin, unlike some muppet in a g60 who decided to spin in 1st and 2nd then wondered why he got late 17's

Some good times there boys! Best i managed was 16secs at inters last year in my 2.0l valver. Maybe just needs a good remapp?

well i was hoping for a early 15 possibly a 14 today but oh well, was thinking more power smaller wheels it should add up. bah

how does boost work, i did have 8psi and with the head fitted i'm getting 6psi obvioulsy that 2 psi is now being used, but what does that mean, what does boost do??

I went to the Pod the other for the first time and got a 16.03. I had 4 runs and my first was the best. On one of the runs I really struggled with wheelspin. The disappointment with your time is probably not related to mods not working as you would expect them to. The G60 has such short gears that wheelspin is difficult to control. Also, the surface is super slick so with a bit more power you may find it even harder to get a decent time. It's always a bit dodgy to allocate a bhp gain to certain mods as mods will only benefit you if the car is properly set up so they work together. eg no point in having a FMIC if you can't fuel it properly. Perhaps you would benefit from a rolling road set up to ensure you are getting the power you think you are? Also, smaller wheels with more power will accentuate any wheelspin you previously got. Maybe you weren't "in the zone" ;)

possibly right, didn't really want to go, cause i knew the car wasn't running right but had promised to go.

oh well, i'll arange to have it remapped and re-tuned properly by the master, and fit a few more things,

she can sit outside for the rest of the month and think about what she did!!

LOL- Bad G60! I want to get into the 15's next time. I know I can do it, just a case of keeping the thing in control in 1st & 2nd! Might see you there!

i have the answer---------

instead of giving me about 20 bhp, i have lost 40 bhp so timing, fueling you name it all needs doing

went to the rollers today was expecting a small change but not a massive step back

first RR

allMATERNITY002.jpg

my new RR bah!!

dubs.jpg

just a small difference hey,

yes it is on standard injectors, i have a 3.5 fpr but the car needs setting up more to fit this (i believe)

the only thing is i'm getting poppin sounds from the exhaust when i change gear at over 5k which leads me to belive that it's over fueling a bit, and the A/F guage seems to report all is fine

and yes to the starting thats what i did pulled away slowly as soon as i was moving floored it, not that much wheelspin, unlike some muppet in a g60 who decided to spin in 1st and 2nd then wondered why he got late 17's

Something that people dont realise, and its difficult to understand, is that when an engine is running lean, the car is also prone to back firing (Hotter exhuast gases meeting oxygen) that said it may well be over fueling. The afr isnt acurate enough to tell you the difference between spot on, and a bit off. It can only differentiate between ok, and awful.

Good luck getting the power back!

just a quick thought but when someone tells you your back box is glowing bluey white thats not a good thing, admitably we were having a little rece but he saw it when i over took him, if the back box glows id hate to see the manifold

I hear nothing but bad things about so called 'ported/polished' stage X heads....would never have it done to a car of mine. Sorry about your car though, can you not change the pulley on the S/C and up the boost up a bit? (I'm not a G60 person so this may be rubbish! ;) )

yes i will be playing with the charger very soon but wanted to get as much out of the engine before i did.

Dont know actually. There are a few bits I'd like to get sorted on the car first. I've got a bit or what feels like driveline shunt. I hope it's not the clutch but hard launches are quite demanding on the drivetrain and I'd hate to shred something 130 miles from home!

big bang VW festival is the next for me, i up for some competition, would be great to see what is does against a fellow G60, or if you just post when your next going i can try to pop in, got my slicks as well now so when its sorted i want at least a 14

Slick's, cool! I shall most probably be down next with a friend who owns an F150 Lightning on 10inch Hoosiers! I'm aiming for mid 15's

F150 Lightning on 10inch Hoosiers!

oooohh me want, one day

cant wait to do a real burnout, always see people waisting there street tyres, i want to get some real action pics when lighting up the tyres

We should meet up at the 'Pod and go head-to-head!

id be up for some head too.... ooooer not from you though niel...haha

now daz you're just lowerin the tone, :shock:

you need to get you're car there to, when will it be running again??