Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Drilled & Groved disks from Volksbits vs G & S Bremb

Can anyone recomend some disks. I basically need a complete set

of disks and pads front and back. Pads are 1mm thick now and the disks

are very stepped and starting to worp.

Can get standard replacements from GS fairly cheaply or brembo drilled but i just noticed volksbits are doing drilled and grooved for 69.99 front

49.99 rear, assuming mine on a 94 vr are 280mm!?

Basically has anyone any experience of these, are they any good for the low price???????

I dont want them going into the wobble zone after 2 weeks abuse!

Many thanks

Nick :wink: :)

Not really had any experience of Volksbits discs but judging by the other rubbish they sell I wouldn't touch brake parts with a bargepole, my mate bought a 'alloy' filler cap for his Golf at a show, went rusty in a month, sent it back and the repalcement went rusty in the post!!!

The discs will be probably made out of compressed tin foil and if they sell pads you'll probably just get a box of Cadbury's fruit and nut bars...

Yeah yours will be 280mm (5 stud) - stick with the Brembo's and Pagid Fast Road pads from GSF

Rears - remember you will need new wheels bearings and ABS rotors with the discs...

Wuw, ABS what!?? Blimmey. Please explain, and sorry for my ignorance ive only had her 2 weeks so im a complete novice!!

Why new wheel bearings, they are silent??

Feel free to laugh at me, i am trying to learn as fast as poss!!

Thanks very much

Nick

ABS rotor cages sit, i believe behind the disk. The ABS sensor uses the cage to out if the wheel has become locked. If it becomes locked the ABS kicks in to pump the breaks.

Rear wheel bearing are pressed into the hubs of the rear disks.

Please correct me if i've got this wrong

Tekara, that's correct, but only for the rear disks... Front sensor is more of a disk with holes in it which sits behind the hub. 8)

nick48480, you can't go far wrong with genuine VW brake disks... they're not very expensive (suprisingly!) and are top quality (obviously!) 8)

IMHO, Cheaply made drilled disks aren't worth the hassle... get what the car was designed with, or GOOD make (like Brembo) aftermarket ones unless you're planning mad engine modifications, although changing the brake flexy hoses to braided Goodridge ones isn't a bad idea and will improve the feel of the brake pedal... ;) 8)

Pads? I'd go for either Mintex 1144 (C-TEK) or Pagid fast road pads... 8)

nick48480, Yep, the fronts are fairly straight forward but the rear discs have the wheel bearings pressed into them so you may as well change those at the same time as you will most likely damage the old one getting it out, same goes for the abs rotors, its just a metal cirle really that presses on.

The rear calipers require winding back as well, Halfords sell a tool for about £20 or Draper do one for a bit cheaper...

I've just had fitted Zimmerman x-drilled discs and Pagid fast road pads (click on my Dubforce link for pics). They were about £130 delivered which I though was very reasonable. They only just bedding in but they're already as good as the stock set-up. I think a few people on here use this combo.

I tired to do it myself but the 17mm bolts which hold on the caliper were done up way too tight. It's simple to do though. :)

Thanks so much guys, i think i know where im going now. Are the fronts alan bolts like mk2's? If so i have never managed to undo any of those, so may pass to my spanner man! Might give it a bash though as money is tight having just got the beastie.

I bought some drilled/grooved rear discs for £49.99 from big boys toys. Sounds and looks like they could be the same ones.

The threads for the wheel bolts stripped! I always torque wheel bolts to the recommended torque, so they were not too tight.

I took them back and Big Boys toys changed them for Black Diamond discs, I had to pay more, but you can't put a price on safety. The Black Diamonds are good.

The bolt holes were tapped slightly oversize in the cheap ones.

I believe they expanded recently. I might have a look up there sometime. It's the only place near Lakeside that not full of filthy pikies!

I know. In future I will ensure that the hell that is Ikea will be tempered with not only Swedish meatballs but also a quick trip to BBT! I'll leave the Mrs in the car!

When I got my g60 it had drilled discs on, they wore unevenly, braking was crap and they vibrated like hell, was glad to go back to std VAG discss.

Not sure what make the drilled ones were but they had WAY too many holes, look at porsche discs - they only have a few holes in sparse patterns...

I would go for Brembo, or Brembo grooved (sadly only available for VR6 5-stud and not G60 (4-stud)

Pics of mine are on my signature @ Dubforce.

Disc fitting is quite critical to the "trueness" of the disc. Even a small bit of grit between the hub and the wheel can cause juddering, uneven wear and overheating. This can happen on plain, drilled or slotted discs.

Totally agree its also always worth rubbing down both mating surfaces with emery cloth or a grindstone to remove any burrs or deposits.

Mine were mounted correctly and hadn't warped either but were still bloody awful because of the uneven (grooved) wear of disc & pads caused by too much drilling

So how easy is it to change/ remove and refit the rear wheel bearing? Is there a special tool to push it in tight enough.

And slightly OT, but anyone done the front wheel bearing? involved or DIY easy?

I've got a feeling that most garages only replace the outer rear wheel bearing (which is a press fit in the brake disc) but there is another bearing further back on the spindle (why probably explains why most corrado's have noisy rear bearings only a short time after having them 'replaced' by a garage...

I think you can buy rear discs with the bearings already pressed in which would make the job alot easier. I think you would need a power press!

Never done the fronts but I think the hub has to come off and the bearing has to be pressed out of it with a fly/power press and the new one pressed in squarely, they are a very tight fit not something you can do without the proper equipment.

Neil g60, Phil,

They have there April 10% day off which is good for a laugh. Free BBQ so thats worth the trip from kent lol.

I think I might come along to this! :) I saw the ad in PVW.

Neil g60, let me or pete know when your leaving, would be cool to have a convoy!!!