Sign in to follow this  
Tekara

Handles & Locks *Updated*

Im looking to replace the door handles and catch mechanisms on my C.

Bit of a multi part question this, so here goes.

1: To replace these parts are there any other hidden parts i will require or should replace too ?

2: Any rough guide to doing this job. Is it a case of remove the handle followed by the catch, replace in reverse ?

3: Changing lock tumblers, is this a job you can do at home. I'd prefer to keep my current key for the doors.

4: Finally rough costing would be appreciated, i know GPC do the handles for £45 but dont do the catches. Will i be taken if get it all from the stealers ?

Cheers

It's a very quick and easy job (or at least it is on a Passat but I'd imagine it is on the 'rado too), but unless you're switching to Passat rear handles there's no need to change the mechs AFAIK...

To take the handles out, unscrew the securing screw in the door shut panel (driver's door is a reverse thread), detatch the central locking wires from inside the door, slide the handle towards the front of the door then pull the rear of the handle towards you and it should just pivot out. For the catch, undo the two csk hex key screws and remove from the door, detatching the rod as you pull it out.

Changing the tumblers is easy, just pop the circlip and washer off the back of the tumbler, insert key in the lock, turn it 90degrees and it should just slide out... Re-fitting is, as they say, the reverse of removal! :)

Thanks for the info, guess i should have explained. Im not looking to delock, sticking with standard kit. Changing the catch mechanisms as they have let me down in the past. So in my usual rado repair fashion while im doing one thing ill replace whatever else its connected too..... Within reason :lol:

CAUTION!

Driver's door handle bolt is reverse threaded!!! :roll:

Don't swing on either too hard trying to undo it as you will find it undoes the wrong way! :lol:

(had to make that a bit clearer even though gradeAfailure had correctly pointed this out! :lol: )

Got round to changing the whole lot at the weekend, after figuring out how it all worked it went fairly smoothly. Only pain was i forgot to connect the plug on the drivers door after id put the card back on :mad:

Anyway only just notice i no longer get a double lock, it used to lock then 10 - 20 secs later it would make a whirring sound and lock again. Is that the deadlocks kicking in ? How do i get that back again ?

bump.

guys my drivers side handle has broke. :mad:

dave cant sell me a repair kit as i have early handles apparently,so what are my options?

dont want to de-lock it,just want it as it should be.

cheers,neil.

Oh damn forgot to finish this thread, solved my locking mystery. Needed to adjust the rod into the actuator.

Riley, should be able to buy a replacement form GPC. Since you have a broken one, get the part number and give them a call.

cheers m8 8)

any idea on price? im a little skint at the mo! :roll:

neil.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

seriously?!

i reckon ill leave it for now then!

neil. :shock: