Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

focal vs infinity - opinions?

Since I'll finally be able to fit door speakers when I get my hands on the VR, I've been looking into whats avalible. I know a few people on here rate both infinity and focal and at the moment I'm looking at thew Focal 130CA's and Infinity 52.5i's. The focals are a good £20 more expensive, and really a bit more than I wanted to pay, but are they 'that' much better? I'll be running a set of pioneer TS-E something or others in the dash since I have them left over from the install I had in the valver and i've always been pretty impressed with how they sound. I'm half tempted to spend less and get the 5.25" versions of them, but they're only £44 and I'm sure cant compete with the focals or infinitys!

Depends what you're after in terms of sound qaulity. If you're not intending on running amps or subs and just want a normal kind of sound then I'd just stick with the OE speakers to be honest.

It's pointless spending money on good speakers and installing them in the weedy plastic door pockets.... you will be pretty dissapointed tbh, especially by the lack of bass.

The Focals would get my vote from those two though.

I should have mentioned I'll be putting the sub/amp in the boot which i also took out of the valver, so the bass should be covered! In terms of sound I'm not going for anything that'll win either an SPL competition or a quality competition, I just dont have that kind of cash to spend, but I want it to sound good for the cash i spend on it. I was pretty happy with the setup I had in the valver TBH, so I think I might go for the pioneers again since as you say kev, theres little point spending wads of cash on decent speakers that are going to sit in plastic door pockets by my feet!

It ALL depends on the type of music you listen too,

cos all speakers perform differently

some are better on mids,

some are better on tweet, etc...

If u want a 'good buy' look at JBL,

You get good vocal, mids, and bass,

plus they are cheap for want you get

Infinity are better then focal !!!!!

Its pointless spending too much money on speakers if u dont do the following;

upgrade the wiring

soundproof the doors

amp the spaekers ( depending on the speaker )

Hope this helps

KICKERS RULE !!!!!!!!!!

Can only talk about the focals....I find them excellent - the 200 quid ones that fit straight in the door, I have them running from a nothing special Sony V12 amp in the boot with upgraded wire........the high's are very nice....never 'harsh' which you will often find with cheaper components......got a feeling the tweeters r metal dome type, may be worng though

Depends which Focals you're comparing which Infinities too....

Kappa, Kappa Perfect or the References? None of them are in the same league as Focal Utopia imo, but focals cheap and mid-market speakers have tough competition.

I nearly went for Focals but got some Genesis Profile 13's and I'm so pleased with them. Just as good as my mate's JL VR's which cost £250! The Genesis were only £150. The crossovers are made of extruded ally and look like mini amps.

Depends which Focals you're comparing which Infinities too....

Kappa, Kappa Perfect or the References? None of them are in the same league as Focal Utopia imo, but focals cheap and mid-market speakers have tough competition.

Agree with ya Kev

I nearly went for Focals but got some Genesis Profile 13's and I'm so pleased with them. Just as good as my mate's JL VR's which cost £250! The Genesis were only £150. The crossovers are made of extruded ally and look like mini amps.

The Genny speakers are good, they're made by Scan-speak, a VERY renowned and ultra high quality speaker manufacturer. You think the Profiles are good, you should listen to their £3000 Absolutes!!

Yeah the x-overs are neat. The Absolutes comes with series III amplifier style alloy crossovers and come in a veneered wooden gun case type presentation box....but then at £3K, you'd expect that!!

Genesis rock...hand made in Southend and Gordon of Genesis (the company founder) regularly frequents http://www.talk-audio.co.uk to answer queries, top bloke!