Sign in to follow this  
CrazyMan

is this guy insane?

OK.... I'll bite!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! :wink:

Seriously tho' it would be great to compare the cars handling around Bruntingthorpe. I think you would be unpleasantly surprised.

I say compare handling because lets face it, BHP wise, our Cally's would blow you lot into the weeds! LOL!

Check this out and then tell me what you think:

http://www.turbocalibra.co.uk/tv.htm

http://www.turbocalibra.co.uk

See Calibra members can play nicely. There are opinions about both car, and from what I have read and experienced there are niggles and inherent problems with both. At the end of the day You like Yours we like ours. Thats why we have them! :D

Indeed... I was wary of this when I saw it posted but you guys seem like a sensible bunch :)

I wouldn't expect a Corrado to keep up in a straight line against something like a Calibra Turbo, but the Corrado was never about that... handling is its niche :)

*edit*

Looking at the Specs, I think the Corrado VR6 would stomp a Calibra V6.. but the Calibra Turbo looks a bit crazy with a 0-60 of 6.4 seconds.. I guess we'd have to be talking to the supercharged VR6 owners to even get close :)

And just so you know, I don't want this to turn into an interforum war.. thats definately not the intention of us lot!! :)

See Calibra members can play nicely. There are opinions about both car, and from what I have read and experienced there are niggles and inherent problems with both. At the end of the day You like Yours we like ours. Thats why we have them! :D

LOL, sounds like we have a challenge boys!! I've no qaulms about that. The Vauxhalls would probably hold together longer than the Corrados, except the 4x4 Turbos when their diffs seize, LOL!

My mate's old Turbo 4x4 transmission siezed giving it some welly off a roundabout! Quite a common problem on them but other than that they are solid and very fast.

Kev

Each to his own an' all that but surely "Vauxhall" and "Class" in the same sentence???

Delusional Schizophrenics the lot of 'em... :D

kevhaywire

The Vauxhalls would probably hold together longer than the Corrados, except the 4x4 Turbos when their diffs seize, LOL!

youve gotta be kidding matey :lol: , the corrado build quality is way above the calibra build qaulity.

Unloved corrado's :( still look could after 15 years

unloved calibra's you'll be lucky to find any rear wheel arches (rust)

I use the word unloved as any car that is looked after and loved will last.

Like they say we like C's they like Cally's pointless all of use liking the same thing :D

Each to his own an' all that but surely "Vauxhall" and "Class" in the same sentence???

Delusional Schizophrenics the lot of 'em... :D

How dare you!

I'll have you know, Calibra's ARE class... Aren't they?.... Yes they are.... See.... told you I would agree!.... No you didn't..... Yes i di................. :mad:

How dare you!

All meant in the best possible taste! :p

To be serious for a mo' (!) - when the Calibra was first released I can remember thinking "wow, looks really good" (or if I were to be really nasty - "wow, how did they make a Cavalier look good?")

:wink:

youve gotta be kidding matey :lol: , the corrado build quality is way above the calibra build qaulity.

Unloved corrado's :( still look could after 15 years

unloved calibra's you'll be lucky to find any rear wheel arches (rust)

I use the word unloved as any car that is looked after and loved will last.

Like they say we like C's they like Cally's pointless all of use liking the same thing :D

Corrados are mechanically as tough as any other VW but it's just the crap interior quality (93 on cars)....weak sunroof mechanisms, brittle dashboard components, rattles, easily scratched glass etc and not to mention utterly useless engine mounts! You don't get any of those problems on the Calibra.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Corrado to bits and it's all those little foibles that keep me busy, but sometimes I just yearn for things to work on stay in one peice!

The 2WD Calibras are no match for the Corrado's deft handling. The 4x4s I'm not so sure about but I remember when I had my MK2 16V, a Calibra turbo in front of me pulled away like I was standing still and shot round a bend at a ridiculous speed. They are under-rated cars.

Kev

Indeed... I was wary of this when I saw it posted but you guys seem like a sensible bunch :)

I wouldn't expect a Corrado to keep up in a straight line against something like a Calibra Turbo, but the Corrado was never about that... handling is its niche :)

*edit*

Looking at the Specs, I think the Corrado VR6 would stomp a Calibra V6.. but the Calibra Turbo looks a bit crazy with a 0-60 of 6.4 seconds.. I guess we'd have to be talking to the supercharged VR6 owners to even get close :)

And just so you know, I don't want this to turn into an interforum war.. thats definately not the intention of us lot!! :)

The standard 0-60 time on a vr6 is 6.3s

Think the 0-60 time of the c is debatable having read old reviews of magazines trying to replicate the time quoted by VW.

But i'll go along with it if it means beating the Cally boys :)

*edit*

Odd... Parkers Guide say around 6.8 seconds. I'd honestly be interested to know which was quicker but I suspect the Calibra Turbo would have the edge. You know how easy it is to unleash extra horses from forced induction cars as well... 204BHP as standard.. I bet with a rechip, nice zorst and air filter modifications they can get that up quite nicely!

*edit*

well to be honest VW state that the VR6's 0-100kmh(0-62mph)as being 6.9 seconds

Autocar magazine tested a VR6 Corrado(29/04/92) the 0-60 time being 6.4 secs

whilst EVO magazine tested one as being 6.2 secs

as for the calibra 4x4 turbo Autocar tested one (15/07/92) and they managed a 0-60 time of 6.2 secs

so really on paper the calibra 4x4 turbo has the edge :(

on the road,well it just depends on the driver....remember we are talking 1/10ths of seconds here ...........but one thing is for sure it would be pretty close

The difference between 6.9 and 6.2 is barely noticeable in the real world. For arguments sake, let's take the average of the 3 Roddy's figures and that gives us 6.5, which even by today's standards, is still quick. The real important figures are the in gear acceleration times and that is where the VR6 excels. One magazine (can't remember which) quoted one of the VR6's incremental times of being the same as a Porsche 911 (non turbo), so overall, it's a nippy car.

Kev

That is quick. I was going from Top Gear Group Test, Celica 2.0 vs Probe v6 vs Corrado VR6 from 1994 where they quote the c managing 7.3 to 60 and they go on to nock VW's figures!!!!

I downloaded it from the CCGB (if im not allowed to quote this will a Mod remove it please) web site on Adobe Acrobat

Didn't some magazine road-tests of the VR6 when it was first introduced in the Corrado struggled to get sub-7 second 0-60 times?

edit: D'oh - posting overlap - just read the post above. Must've been Top Gear mag then.... :oops:

Maybe it loosens up after 75,000 miles like people say????????

Lets hope it keeps loosening up cos the figures will soon be 0-60 in 5 secs :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Bring on 150,000 miles! People will be clocking their cars to add milage then :lol: :lol: !

That is quick. I was going from Top Gear Group Test, Celica 2.0 vs Probe v6 vs Corrado VR6 from 1994 where they quote the c managing 7.3 to 60 and they go on to nock VW's figures!!!!

I downloaded it from the CCGB (if im not allowed to quote this will a Mod remove it please) web site on Adobe Acrobat

Yep read that too but they did comment that for some reason the particular car they tested was slower than normal. It did win the handling test though. Probably has a cam sensor out, LOL!!

Kev

Great ammunition for my mate who had a Probe tho :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!

Where they say 'its weight and physical bulk hamper progress' :lol: :lol: :lol: !!

Thats an understatement :)

My mate had a probe V6, it was jinxed I swear....he woke up one morning with 3 flat tyres, a tree fell on it and then someone drove into it! It was one bland car to drive but was fully loaded. The Cougar is much, much better.

Kev

The probes tyres are enourmous tho! The only good bit. My mate liked the pop-up headlamps :pukeleft:

P

robe seats with zip cover removal and carpet on the backs.

Does this say anything bout the owner?

Nuff said :)