Sign in to follow this  
fla

Strong double sided tape

I've got some chrome door sills to fit but cant seem to find any strongly adhesive double-side tape anywhere. B&Q have only got the Sticky Fixers type which wont take too much load. Any ideas? Also, for the vent air intake where can you get the adhesive cushion sheet (see Oichans website for details)? B&Q dont have anything similar either.

Cheers all.

3M's trim tape, I know halfrauds sell it, make sure you wipe down all surface with thinners or something like first!

Louie Lungbubble, it may but the only issue there is how to place the air intake without squeezing all the mastic out. Oichans method is by far teh best IMHO.

Re the door sills, I now that some people have used some double-sided, in fact they came with some of the same stuff, only they had already lost their adhesion (used sills btw, not new).

GIXXERUK, where do you get that from?
Many motor-factors or vehicle styling centres will sell it & possibly even Halfords.

Gibber got it right with the trim tape- Thats exactly whats all the side rubbing strips etc are held on with and if you clean the surfaces properly with thinners like the man says- those sill protectors will be there for keeps!

Cheers

silkaflex will do the job

Is that not a bit of an all-or-nothing fix though?

Surely there are some double-sided tapes that won't destroy the sills and whatever they're mounted on when they're removed?

I've got some chrome door sills to fit but cant seem to find any strongly adhesive double-side tape anywhere.

Cheers all.

i just used the number-plate sticky pads for mine...........still on over 2 years later :wink:

i just used the number-plate sticky pads for mine...........still on over 2 years later

Yep, Halfords sell these and they are very strong and will last for ages!

silkaflex will do the job

Is that not a bit of an all-or-nothing fix though?

Surely there are some double-sided tapes that won't destroy the sills and whatever they're mounted on when they're removed?

well that really depends on whether you intend fixing the new sills over the plastic ones

i tried tape to no avail because the plastic is rough and it didnt adhere properly, tape would work well on smooth surfaces

the silkaflex came with my reiger grill, thats why i used it :wink:

I'll check Halfrauds this lunchtime then. Thanks for the tips gentlemen.

I wouldn't put the sills on over the top of the existing ones, they're likely to jam or rub on the bottom of the door...

dinkus, you reckon its best to remove the old sills totally? I've just got the 1mm stuff, which might be a bit thin, although the 6mm look waaaaay too thick - any comments on those?

I wouldn't put the sills on over the top of the existing ones, they're likely to jam or rub on the bottom of the door...

wrong ! :oops: no problem whatsoever , have you seen the clearance there is ?

I just know that when I did the DDI sills GB, a couple of people put their sills over the top of the standard ones and then the door jammed.

But the DDI ones are about 5mm thick...