Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Can i convert my VR brakes to G60

My brakes are crap despite having all four discs pads changed and the whole system has been bled 3 times............had the car hooked to VAG com and its showing one sensor down. Ive had that many problems with the ABS that i want to convert to standard master cylinder & servo...........my mate has a g60 and his brakes feel really good............can i convert to that system.

G60 brakes are the same as VR6's, non ABS car brakes do feel better but i'd rather have the ABS, despite technically you car shouldn't pass the MOT if the ABS is not working! - just fix the sensor, the front ones are only £25...

What discs and pads are you using?

zimmerman drilled discs (front) Pagid Pads

Black Diamond Grooved (rear) with pagid pads

the braking quality in my opinion is shite, maybe as this is the first car ive owned with ABS so its not somthing im used to.

my mates g60 felt so much better

Maybe look at some Goodridge hoses and some DOT5.1 brake fluid? Not an expensive upgrade but might help a fair bit...

i've got goodridge hoses on the rear as i changed to mk4 calipers .........the fluid is new in the whole system it took about 2 litres

pedal travel and the actual effort of the brakes, it passed MOT and the rears were initally on low effort a new set of pads sorted that.........ive had a few people drove my car and think the same that the brakes are not sharp enough............i thought maybe sod the abs malarky and stick to a simpler system.

Funny that, I have Pagid fast road pads all round, with Zimmerman drilled discs on the front and Black Daimond drilled/grooved on the rear. All fitted in the last year. I have G60 front discs/callipers. I also have goodrich hoses all round. My breaks are not too good. The peddle is firm enough, but they don't have loads of bite. Just passed its MOT with no problems. I have my doubts about Pagid pads to be honest, but there is so much wear left in them I'll probably never change them again, unless I keep the car for a good few more years.

I've got standard discs on my 2.0l valver with Ferodo FB2500 (IIRC) and they are soooo much better than original VW pads. And when they get warm they are brilliant! I would recommend them to anyone, made a huge difference. Got to wear them down before move to VR6 calipers up front, and will stick with the Ferodo pads and probably Zimmerman discs when I fit them.

(Drove the missus's 306 Dturbo and the brakes absolutley pants in comaprison. Both cars have ABS!)

not a fan of Padgid pads either... Mintex C-TEK 1144s for me... 8)

How does ABS make a difference to the pedal response if its not locking up? Didn't think it would make any odds. One thing about ABS which scares me is the lock up, brakes let go completely, time delay, brakes applied by the ABS. That delay where it sorts out what to do and no braking is going on has got me abit worried a few times. Is this normal?

I used to get through pads and discs on my MK1 Golf GTI very quickly, which gave me a chance to try a few different pads, the worst ones were kevlar fast road, not sure what make but they were dangerous. Once they were really hot the car just would not stop. The best I tried were normal Ferrodo pads from Halfords.

ABS doesn't let go on the brakes completely... It knows which wheel/s has locked and so will only pulse the brake pressure on that/those specific wheel/s. It pulses the brakes AFTER it's thought about what it needs to do... ;)

ABS can affect the feel of the brakes even when it's not being used due to the fact that there's a sodding HUGE pump with lots of valves in it in-between the brake calipers and the mastercylinder/your foot. This can make the brakes seem slightly more vague than a non-ABS equipped car... especially one where the ABS is getting on a little bit... :|

My '91 non-ABS G60's brakes feel much better than my '92 G60's ABS brakes did before I started playing with 'em... Can't wait to see what they're like with the MKIV rears and Brembo 4pot fronts! 8) :twisted:

My worst pads were EBC Green Stuff. They overheated so easily. Best brakes were on Dad's Renault Laguna! Loads of feel and modulation.

I had ABS and have tried various pads on my G60.

I had standard rear discs due to the fact that the braking is mainly on the front. i had black diamond groved disc on the front, im my opion the best combo was that disc set up & normal pagid pads, i tried the black diamond pads but didn't like them.

The fast road pads are good BUT they take longer to reach operating temp. so unless you hammer the brakes a lot, the brakes will be cold when you need them.

When the system was bled did you do the clutch slave and master, as they are part of the same system and old fluid in there will just mix with the old, NASTY.

Now with ABS the pedal is always softer, but you apply the pressure and your car with stop i promise you. Non ABS cars have less pedal travel, and the pedal is a lot firmer. i nearly put my missus through the window when i drove her 206cc with non abs brakes, just notused to the pedal travel.

i did bleed the master cylinder and the abs pump, the only thing i didnt bleed was the clutch slave.....should this effect it in any way