Sign in to follow this  
fla

VAG error codes

The most recent codes form a scan give the following ( few others but I am checking them out), which I dont really know what to check:

00518 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69)

16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent

00533 - Idle Speed Regulation

10-10 - Adaptation Limit Not Reached - Intermittent

00638 - Engine/Transmission Electrical Connection 2

03-10 - No Signal - Intermittent

I'm surprised by 00518 as the measurement through VAGCOM seems to be okay on the measuring blocks - I get 13.7 deg and 93 degs on full throttle.

00533 - I've just cleaned out the ISV and TB so hopefully this will now be okay. The real bummer is 00638 - no idea what to look for and where. Oh and I've got an auto at the moment.

TIA

I'm surprised by 00518 as the measurement through VAGCOM seems to be okay on the measuring blocks - I get 13.7 deg and 93 degs on full throttle.

Did you clear the codes?? - I would and see what returns and maybe change the TPS (not to expensive)

00533 - I've just cleaned out the ISV and TB so hopefully this will now be okay. The real bummer is 00638 - no idea what to look for and where. Oh and I've got an auto at the moment.

My mate had the Idle adaption come up, spoke to Vince about it but he says it could be casued as a result of other faults so best o fix everything else first and hope it cures that as well...

The last one - I think this is a result of the first one, the TPS stuck on, also check out your ECU relay.

Yes I cleared the codes and took it for a drive before getting these again. The TPS has been repleced and the measuring blocks show it to work OK so i dont think it is at fault. Which number is the ecu relay?

Is there a way to check the relay - I'll take the plastic cover off and see if I can clean the contacts but apart from that is there any direct test method?

Fla, to check the 518, slow press the gas pedal and look for gaps in the angle increments....for example if it jumps from say 20 degrees to 40 degrees (instead of 21, 22, 23 etc), the carbon tracks in the TPS are worn. But that would be exhibited as a very jerky ride.

Relays.... just check the contacts aren't burnt out. The pump relay is a hard worked one and often burn out.

533 - don't worry about that, "adaption limit reached" is the dodgy one, "not reached" means the ECU didn't run out of options, so you're OK.

638 - I've not seen that before. It might be causing the other errors?

OK thanks Kev. Why would it even mention 533 if the limit had not been reached? Just leave it out i would have thought. I think the 00638 is something to do with the auto tranny and I've got some pics i'll post up of an errant lead near to the g/box which I havent got a clue where to connect. There doesnt seem to be any small spade connector. Wait till i post the pic and maybe you chaps will have some ideas.

Not sure on 533 mate. Mine brings that up frequently too but it rarely cuts out. I think it's just reporting that it wasn't able to maintain the idle properly and isn't happy about something.

Fla,

There is a VAG COM Forum on Vortex monitored by the SW developers. If your copy is legal they will give you the data.

If your copy is legal

Storm, who do you think I am - this is me we're talking about. Seriously though, I'll have a look on the vortex although I have found that threads are started and then left in mid-flow. Our forum is really superb by comparison. Anyway, the VAGCOM part of it may be different.

Did anyone get anywhere with these fault codes - as my VR6 auto has brought up exactly the same, but my idle one is 'adaption limit exceeded', i think my ISV is knackered as the car overfuelled the other day then cut out and hasnt ran properly since.

My friend with a VR6 mk2 has this 00533 'adaption limit exceeded' we have tried ECU,ISV,TPS checked continuity on all the wires and its still there !

But his revs on its own and cant hold light throttle. 00533,still there.

My friend with a VR6 mk2 has this 00533 'adaption limit exceeded' we have tried ECU,ISV,TPS checked continuity on all the wires and its still there !

But his revs on its own and cant hold light throttle. 00533,still there.

Check for a crack in the ISV Damper, this is the first fault mine had, and i replaced the damper, but when it was cracked, i could be standing outside the car with the engine running and the revs would go up and settle again, sometimes cutting out afterwards, the ISV i had 3 weeks ago stopped the 00533 error until the car overfuelled again

Will never work these cars out!

mine ran with the damper cracked, but popped terribly on tickover, and was only just driveable once it had warmed up, i thought there was something major wrong with the car ie head gasket etc, till the garage spotted the damage, replace the part and the car ran ok for 6 weeks or so, until the next time it overfuelled, and the ISV started playing up