Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

My work is all done. New radiator fan switch, new top and bottom hoses, and an oil and filter change.

Didn't seem to be leaking at all after being run up to temperature in the garage. I hope this is the last of my water leaking fun and games!

Went to Machine Mart and bought a trolley jack and axle stand set ready to jack my car up, change the oil, and sort my coolant leaking problems.

Except that the jack can't lift the car high enough to put it onto the axle stands even at the lowest setting. Sigh. The best laid plans and all that!

Hehehe. Sorry Jim, but that's tickled me, after all the jokes about you buying a jack, then ending up with a munchkin spec model.... Lol.

Did you fit the rad surround? I literally finished the one for mine Thursday night and might wack it on tomorrow. Did use satin rather than smooth paint and it looks pretty good.

Ought to get off my arse and do the rear suspension top mounts and get the 16v MOTed but not feeling the motivation at the moment. The shed where I was working on the cars will be full of cattle tomorrow which never helps.

Here's my newly painted surround with the fan and cowling fitted. Badly blurry picture though.

Looks good mate :-) am going to have to get off my arse and do mine!

Charlie looks quite impressed too ;-)

"What I did to my Corrado (not quite) today"... just before Christmas I had a bonnet release issue at 70mph :(

Thankfully there was no-one else on that straight piece of road and the only thing that got hurt was my pride :oops: :wink:

Pics:

Broken O/S hinge:

5722 small.jpg[/attachment:m64l5mih]

Mangled N/S hinge:

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf5723 small.jpg[/attachment:m64l5mih]

Spot the fold!

ETKA Corrado.pdf5724 small.jpg[/attachment:m64l5mih]

Screen impact N/S:

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf5725 small.jpg[/attachment:m64l5mih]

Crumpled bonnet:

Corrado92.pdf5726 small.jpg[/attachment:m64l5mih]

Screen impact O/S:

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf5729 small.jpg[/attachment:m64l5mih]

Front view (spot the emergency-tie-wrap-to-hold-it-closed-so-I-can-limp-home!):

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf5731 small.jpg[/attachment:m64l5mih]

Not the best fit ever...

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf5733 small.jpg[/attachment:m64l5mih]

Thanks to mrbeige, I now have a new, late spec bonnet in Bordeaux Pearl, so it's gonna be a two-tone beast for a few days until I can arrange a respray! Will fit the new item tomorrow and give her some dignity again :wink: :)

Happy New Year everyone :D

My wife and I spent a couple of hours today fitting a new(ish) bonnet and fogs:

01012008 small.jpg[/attachment:1ai3vnuz]

Next up is a front-end respray and a new windscreen... 8)

Had intermittent dipped beam for a while so cleaned up all connections on the wiring and fitted a new in-line fuseholder and fuse - now works perfectly

No damage to the roof?

There is one nick in the paint work just behind the windscreen's top edge - easily touched up I hope.

Looking at the roof in the cold light of day, there are a couple of shallow depressions where the bonnet must have slapped down - barely dents, you can only see them when looking flat across the roof from one side... Hoping that they can be pushed/pulled out. That would also explain why the light cluster popped out of the roof and smacked me on the head. No broken clips so it went right back in again!

Looking forward to getting her all sorted veeeery soon :)

Andy, that looks scary! :shock: Purple and silver just don't mix! :lol:

Seriously though, that must have been a real shock- at least there was no other traffic about. Are you going to replace the catches and bonnet cable too? Let me know if you need a hand!

Well not as spectacular... and actually not "what I did" more like "what the garage did" but refreshed the MOT yesterday.. got off lightly with Front plate (smashed) CV gaitor (split) and rear flexi-hose (weak)!

My 3rd MOT with teh Rado and nothing too bad yet! :shock:

how did the bonnet release? not closed properly or something corroded/broken?

Yeah, been trying to figure that out... :? :scratch:

I noticed earlier that day the bonnet catch was stiff, so I gave it a good lubing with WD40 and was happy that it had loosened right up.

However, it still managed to stick in the back (open) position later that evening when it really ought to have been preventing the bonnet from trying to take flight! :lol: Maybe I accelerated so fast that the inertia popped the catch to the back 8) :)

No idea why the cable released the retaining pins, it all seemed so solid and, well, shut before :( :roll:

Like CazzaVR said, at least it was an empty, straight road

Edit: None of the slam panel or cable is corroded or broken, perhaps just grungey and got stuck in the released position?

I'd give the two clips a bloody good clean and regrease, and make sure the new bonnet safety catch engages properly. Also drop the bonnet from a slight hieght to make sure it closes properly. Gently prodding it closed won't always get it latched correctly.

Today I have been fitting new rear topmounts, plates, bumpstops and rear disks. Threw a bit of paint on the shocks where the old plastic cap things had rubbed on them and threw the old plastic caps away. Tomorrow I'll be mostly replacing ARB droplinks and bushes removing my headlamp loom and checking all the lights for the MOT on Monday.

Had intermittent dipped beam for a while so cleaned up all connections on the wiring and fitted a new in-line fuseholder and fuse - now works perfectly

Hmm, yes, came off full beam at midnight on the motorway the other day and realised I had no dipped! Sadly the M40 is mostly unlit so I had to piss a few people off for a while passing them on full beam. Switched to sides and fogs once there was lighting again and thankfully the police didn't check the front when I got pulled later.. :shock: :)

So need that fuseholder and fuse too!

Quick update following a day trip to G-Werks and JMR:

John fitted a new Milltech stainless cat-back exhaust system with new brackets and rubbers (and gave the old girl a good steam clean -thanks!)

Darren diagnosed my overfuelling problem and tuned the engine back to rude health :D A quick test drive confirmed that it was back to its usual responsive characteristics 8) He then stood around with me and my bro talking about suspension, gearboxes, engine tuning, etc. for a good hour after the work was done :wink: Thanks Daz - you are the man!

Looks like it will now pass the MOT on Saturday *crosses fingers* :lol:

Watch this space...

well today i sorted my ABS, needed a new sensor. Fixed my wing mirrors (never worked and glass was knackered), stripped my drivers door as it rattled so put that together after sorting the rattles, and got parts which i will be fitting tomorrow inc ARB bushes, ball joints, top mount bushes n bearings, HT leads, coolant bottle, all filters, new gearbox mount, gearbox oil, temp sensor and other bits and bobs.

After that lots done and i get my new wing it'l be into the paint shop for a respray as it was keyed right down the side :( and once all thats done, il be giving her a machine polish and sticking her up for sale!!!

Cheers,

Andy

Today Jim.................

Sorry wrong show. Though it does feel like I am on a realality tv show sometimes. See how many things can go wrong before you lose your rag.......

Well today Fitted new water flange on the front of the head. And gave her a new fill of oil and filter.

Tommorow try and get rid of the bloody rattle from the exhaust. If it stops raining for long enough....... :?

Fitted new heater control panel that actually lights (cheers Beigy) and decided to resist the drilled airbox till the weather dries out a bit! :lol:

Had a long list of MOT-related things to attempt today, but due to inclement weather and some seriously stubborn bits of metal (mainly rusted bolts), my bro and I ended up achieving:

1. Oil flush and change, 4L of Synta Silver put in with OE filter.

2. Removed rusty bolts for N/S wishbone and replaced it/them with brand spanking new units (rubber bush had split that side) - it was a PITA to fit back in, and we gave up on replacing the ball joint as well because the retaining bolt was molecularly bonded to the back of the hub! :mad:

3. Checked plugs for signs of a leaky injector (all were perfect), in case recent emissions failure was also due to excess petrol.

Noticed the gearbox was very sticky both before and after the work... Need to check the oil.

2. Removed rusty bolts for N/S wishbone and replaced it/them with brand spanking new units (rubber bush had split that side) - it was a PITA to fit back in, and we

gave up on replacing the ball joint as well because the retaining bolt was molecularly bonded to the back of the hub! :mad:

those 17mm horizontal balljoint bolts i'm sure are some kind of steel/evil alloy.

3. Checked plugs for signs of a leaky injector (all were perfect), in case recent emissions failure was also due to excess petrol.

It was cos of excess fuel, but only cos the Lamb was telling the chip to pump more through. It wuld be interesting to see whether leaving a broken cat in an Emissions-OK car would actually increase the HC or CO content of the exhaust gas at the backbox...