Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Went to Tempests with the intention of refitting the front coolant flange as its leaked ever since we did the job last time.

Whilst dismantling we discovered a nice purple beard down the back of my radiator indicating it was shot so off to GSF for an el-cheapo radiator.. nothing really fitted lining it all up but Eric gave it some gentle persuasion. Fitted new front flange with added extra gasket paste to try and make the whole system seal, new expansion tank (I can see the coolant level again! How novel!), the new radiator and we changed the gearbox oil for some new G52 stuff from VW. Pretty productive though disheartening day. Getting under the car, and getting up close just shows how much stuff needs sorting on it.. sigh :(

Thanks to Tempest for his tireless efforts today again. Its really appreciated mate - without you, 2cc and Supercharged i'd be lost!

Got the wire wool to the earth connections to get rid of the oxidisation. Also gave the ISV a good old clean out with carb cleaner. Alternator replacement is tomorrows job (cheers bigpants baby!) :) !

Sorted the extremely annoying driver's side electric window mech rattle. Thats one rattle to strike of the list now anyway! :)

Just got my 2.0 16v corrado, had it about a week now and you lot have been life savers. looks like i've had a few of the usual problems. all started a couple of days ago.

5th gear became really hard to select, no worries found out what it could be but still couldn't fix it. I'm an engineer for a garage eqpt co so called a few garages asked what it could be.found a replacement box for 80 quid and thats gonna be fitted next week, then today on the way to pick it up the girlfriend tried to open the sunroof and it wouldn't open one side. luckly where i was getting the gearbox from had a C that had been smashed up. took the mech out, (£5 Bargin) but couldn't test it. at home found out same bit as i needed was broken!! oh well at least i now know how to repair it when/if i can get the repair kit.

Next job is to change the rear bushes, it didn't like having 5 people in the car last nite.

Does anyone know of a good VW breaker/supplier in norfolk?? Need door handle surrounds.

washed all the inters mud and oil off it today,[oil from leaking oil pressure switch],oil change and whilst on the ramp,noticed the engine to gearbox starter motor bolt was missing ,hole in the subframe and leaking fan switch on radiator,the joys.. :shock:

Got the door lock barrels recoded to match the ignition key (every lock on my car needed a different key :shock: ).

Took the fan cowling out, started to sand it down to repaint it, and the rain started. Spent the whole weekend, sanding, priming and painting the cowling again, huddled under my carport watching the rain. Nice summer weather :?

Broke the rear spoiler mechanism while trying to take it out to clean and grease the cables. Doh. Bit of a mixed weekend really. Still got to laugh.

I rootled about and fitted a few interior parts, screws and clips to the VR, got her on ramps for a good once over now she's running right, and ran her for a fun 100 miles.

Swore at the 16v immobiliser, as I can't move it from my drive, and I can't afford to have it fixed.

Took some more parts off the breaker, and trawled the wanted ads to find homes for them, in order to ge the 16v immobiliser fixed.

Not a bad weekend, considering my neandethol like hungover state today.

Finally got round to sorting my calipers as the previous owner decided to paint over the previous red paint with.... sky blue! :lol:

Have done the fronts black- didn't have time to do the rears- will hopefully get around to that sometime this week.

Well just got the thing working ,but now i'm taking bits off again

:)

spent a soggy day under my carport removing the front of the car so that i can install a FMIC.

Will post some more pics as and when I make more progress with it.

look at the rust :doc:

Can i replace that section?

Was going to have a go at Riley's headlight detailing modification today - went to get the headlights out.. the driver side was fine but the 3 screws on the passenger side are so horrendously corroded and rusted I don't know how i'll ever actually get them out. The recessed / hidden one is also totally shot.. no idea what i'm meant to do to get at that!! So had to abandon ship on that one :(

Was going to have a go at Riley's headlight detailing modification today - went to get the headlights out.. the driver side was fine but the 3 screws on the passenger side are so horrendously corroded and rusted I don't know how i'll ever actually get them out. The recessed / hidden one is also totally shot.. no idea what i'm meant to do to get at that!! So had to abandon ship on that one :(

I also tried to remove my headlights 2day,but i decided in the end that for what I needed to do i needn't take out the headlights,as I could just take the whole front panel out.I think with the panel out I think I may be better access to the recessed rounded screw!?

The whole front area is suffering badly from rust.I took the old intercooler out and one of the screws were so badly corroded it just snapped in half.

I'm going to have to replace about a dozen screws etc..

Just picked up some TT wipers from Preston Audi ... £107.30! (the parts bloke sounded very confused when I ordered two drivers side wiper arms and blades). Going to have a go and fitting them this evening, it certainly looks like I'll be getting a lot of use out of them this "summer" :(

fitted the new front engine bracket,today!!39 +vat and it was a poor fit for a genuine item,also a new oil filter!!

Sanded off lots of paint from my little incident with my girlfriends wall (very boring). Then had some fun with some filler. Just needs a bit more work and then painting but I've finished for the day now as knackered.

today i fitted to my newly aquired corrado (thanks penfoldvr6)

car bra

german font number plates

new head unit

also droped a set of porsche winter wheels at the polishers, ironically there going to be summer wheels and the refurbed cup rims are for the winter months

i also fitted a full tank of fuel does that count? :lol:

Spent part of last night (when I went out for a fag) just staring at her.. now parked next to a low pillar light (about wheel arch height) and the shape's fantastic in this type of lighting... mmm

Give me a week of driving her again and I'll find something to moan about I guess.... :lol:

Had a full service done, a new front engine mount fitted which a got for £33 from Gwent VW via fleabay. £20 to have that fitted. And the best mod i've ever done was painting the inside of the headlights black around the main light and full beam. This looks awesome and gives the front a much meaner look. I saw a pair for sale on ebay which went for to much brass so i did em myself for the price of a touch-up pen, £2.99!!!

I also tried to remove my headlights 2day,but i decided in the end that for what I needed to do i needn't take out the headlights,as I could just take the whole front panel out.I think with the panel out I think I may be better access to the recessed rounded screw!?

The whole front area is suffering badly from rust.I took the old intercooler out and one of the screws were so badly corroded it just snapped in half.

Can you guys use a socket on an extension on the 3rd screw?

Will probably have to hold the socket (tight fitting one on screw head) under the slam panel,and pass the extension through (if it will fit?) and then tap the extension/socket onto the screw head?

May not be possible...just thinking aloud as i havent got mine in front of me to look at.

Neil.

I sold mine. :(

NoooOoOoo

Can you guys use a socket on an extension on the 3rd screw?

Will probably have to hold the socket (tight fitting one on screw head) under the slam panel,and pass the extension through (if it will fit?) and then tap the extension/socket onto the screw head?

May not be possible...just thinking aloud as i havent got mine in front of me to look at.

Neil.

I havn't given up on that one yet and will bear what you said in mind but its slipped down the list of corrado woes at the moment.

Now lets see what did I do to my corrado 2day?

Oh yeah,I fuc&£d my breaks up.

Pah, brakes are over rated anyway.

finally stuck my forum stickers in the window over a year after buying them!! :D

(washed it too, not that it'll stay dry between now and getting to brands hatch tomorrow... :roll:)