Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

tomorrows plans - SRP, re-clean headlining, might even see if there's some blackberry paint under what is prob 12yrs of dirt in the wheel arches... what else are bank holiday weekends for??!!

Bloody hell! This wheel arch cleaning seems to be catching...

lol! the reason is cos I jet washed the arches after the mud-bath my car got at Harewood last weekend and a bit of purple paint is showing through so thought I might try to discover some more.... that and cos I don't have anything more exciting to do this weekend

I refitted my bumper again and managed to close the gap underneath the grill :D

Feeling flush I attempted to sort the loose rubbers on the droplinks but thought

better of it and went to the pub :lol:

nice work but going to the pub sounds like a much better idea lol.

might have to find myself a drink now you've said that...

that and cos I don't have anything more exciting to do this weekend

You could have come round and extricated my screwdriver bit! Ooooooo eeeeeeeerrrrrr :oops:

Actually, at some point can I plug my vag com in your car to get a bit of a log from the sensors, to compare to mine please?

over bank holiday weekend:

i removed the mk3 golf dash, plenheim chmaber all ducting and venting,re-fitted corrado dash with new heater ducting and venting.replaced required electrics ie: fog switches rear w/s heat,lights etc.re-fitted heater matrix pipes.still more to do,will hopefully be removing the seats today and then replacing them at the weekend.slowly gettin closer to having my c back on the road and cannot wait!

Did a radiator swap yesterday! Went well considering its the first real 'get my hands dirty' job i've done by myself on my car. Its surprisingly easy though on the 16v with only 10 bolts actually needing to come out!

Turns out the GSF rad that I thought was knackered was actually ok, but just hadn't sealed properly round the radiator fan switch and bottom hose hence the leaking.. I only learned this after shelling out for a new VAG part. First time round the bottom hose still leaked so drained (again) and reconnected this time with a generous amount of instant gasket to try hold it all tight. Seems to have done the job this time around :)

over the weekend removed the front and rear seats,rear door cards.took the carpet out aswell, as the car had a leak so it is out n drying in the greenhouse lol.had an absoloute bargain at the weekend aswell from my local scrap yard,managed to pick up front and rear seats with door cards,both indicator and mfa stalks,clocks,various electrics and switches,passsenger side sun visor with mirror all for a grand total of £60.was happy as larry!

Spent most of friday afternoon replacing the under bonnet sponge/foam. Bought a fresh roll for £15 (outdoorbits.com) a while back ,but never got round to doing it. Didn't realise 16year old glue would be a right bastid to get off! used random bottles in the garage to remove all of the old muck (turned out to be white spirit + oven cleaner - worked ok!). Great result, neater looking engine bay :)

Also resolved my clifford alarm, fixed interior lights and welcomed my new sat nav + power inverter to their new home!

Very lazily, I fitted my new throttle body and the inlet pipework to the 16v, removing all the oily residue as I went, and took the bike carrier extensions off the vr, snapping a 24mm bolt as I went, luckily, I had some spare bolts.

And then made a post using the phrase "as I went" quite a lot...

Fitted the stereo and sub at the weekend so all the lower dash was off. Took off most of the centre console too out of curiosity.

I know its not reall "doing" anything to it, but I've just thrashed it to Gatwick and back cos I fancied a drive. A good 50 mins each way with some nice twisty back country roads.

Got my car MOT'd after taking it off the road for a couple of months to tidy it up - Last November!

Forgot how nice it it was to drive.

not really any modifications, more of fixing things..

found out my drivers lock was causing the fuse for the windows and central locking to blow. so got passat door handles to go on and have a new alarm fitted on wednesday next week.

fitted nice chrome shiny VW badge to back and silver VR6 badge on back.

took my big boot install out that weighed 8 STONE! and trying to sell it.

still got brakes discs, pads, bearings to fit, cant be arsed!

Finished machine polishing, chrome plated door catches fitted, cleaned the headlining with Megs APC and a simple pinstripe applied below side rubbing strips

Andy, that pinstripe looks superb 8)

Changed the aerial today- now I can get reception! I had another good aerial knocking around, except it had different plugs (the ones on just about every non-VAG aerial). Halfords do an adaptor lead for around £3- what a godsend!

Did some fettleing to K1PVW.

Tinkered about with a few bits on J11VWS (Butterfly's - Judith's) while Judith got on with some serious cleaning.

Fitted some red HT leads at last, cleaned the bay some more and then took it for a spin, would have been rude not to and i loved every second of it, first time its been out in a while...

was a busy boy this weekend,finished off the dashboard,put the carpet back in,seats and steering wheel.forgot to mention also replaced drivers side seat bolster, was a giggle getting the cloth back over the fat new bolster.interior done,bring on the engine! :D

a couple of w-ends ago i fitted a mk2 golf gti big bumper spoiler, after my 50mm one had decided to come loose in the middle. so bumper off, old spoiler un clipped, golf one lined up quite nicely, fitted some new bolts and hey presto. now i have trouble gettin on and off my drive!! oh well such is life in the weeds!! :lol:

Back behind the heater control panel - again! This time the heater temperature control had given up the ghost. Turned out to be the metal arm that the bowden cable attaches to (beneath the horizontal cog) had broken in two. Anyway a quick dash to a local breaker and found a replacement in an old Golf. All working again. While I was there also got a replacement copper arm and contacts plug or the heater blower control cos I'd bodged a solution back in the summer and I think it was sparking. The guy in the yard liked the car so much didn't charge me a penny for the parts :)

Had a good day! :D

Repaired wiring to boost gauge - now lights up again!

Replaced interior light bulb - you wouldn't believe how irritating it is not having an interior light in the winter.

Removed, and resecured central handbrake tunnel and fit new plastic handbrake cover

Replaced driver's side door striker pin - door now closes as if it was new!

Err.. taxed it! 99.00 to Mr Brown.. :(

Didn't get round to washing it, so that's a job for tomorrow. Also if I'm feeling brave I'm going to take the passenger door to bits because there's a really loud and annoying rattle in it. Just about the only one in the car so I've got to sort it!

in this order...

- found out that the steering rack is bent

- found out that it needs a new track rod

- swore at it

still, at least the steering wheel now sits straight :roll:

Went to Machine Mart and bought a trolley jack and axle stand set ready to jack my car up, change the oil, and sort my coolant leaking problems.

Except that the jack can't lift the car high enough to put it onto the axle stands even at the lowest setting. Sigh. The best laid plans and all that!

Of to my parents to retry the work in a while!