Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Just washed and waxed plus all the treatment on inside and outside plastic, leather treatment etc. on mine yesterday. Going to look at a few houses today and guess what... It's pouring down... Oh well, got to do it all over again when weather get's better.

Cheers,

Redfox.

---------- Post added at 8:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:48 AM ----------

Just washed and waxed plus all the treatment on inside and outside plastic, leather treatment etc. on mine yesterday. Going to look at a few houses today and guess what... It's pouring down... Oh well, got to do it all over again when weather get's better.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Today I...

Fitted my dished 350mm steering wheel using a momo boss I took to Germany, cutting back the 'riser' part and drilling and tapping the cast lump of the boss itself. I also got the laser machine guy in the factory to cut me a spacer plate with two 8mm holes for mounting a couple of switches or push buttons..

[ATTACH]69857[/ATTACH]

I then set about removing the sunroof mechanism and headlining so I could fit my sunroof blanking plate, again made in the factory in Germany, the inside was primed then I used external sealant and riveted the plate in position using 5mm rivets (as used on the lifts we install for the Germans!).

[ATTACH]69858[/ATTACH]

Then fitted a lil fire extinguisher to the 'transmission tunnel' for those panicked moments when I short wires again and stuff starts smoking!!

[ATTACH]69859[/ATTACH]

Lastly I attached my battery preserver solar panel to my rear strut brace, to keep the battery from dying as it keeps doing!

[ATTACH]69860[/ATTACH]

That was it mostly!!

Dragged mine out for the last run of the year only to discover wheel bearing had gone. As long as I kept going right it was ok ;-). Gives me something to do over winter though

productive afternoon regreased my rear wheel bearings gave the brakes a quick overhaul and a quick look over for the mot thats now due hopefully everything will go ok

Working on the corrado today I thought I was going mad as there was look I had wrapped that no longer was, closer inspection I saw little teeth marks!!

Little mice buggers has stripped about a meter of loom tape, damaging some ECU plug wires and washer jet wiring! The car still starts and runs but will need to chop some new wires in and re wrap the loom.

Not happy! Hoovered a nest out behind my heater motor vent in the scuttle panel area too.

Had a good inspection inside the bay and inside the car, luckily all clear.

Time to lay some traps!

Pete

Working on the corrado today I thought I was going mad as there was look I had wrapped that no longer was, closer inspection I saw little teeth marks!!

Little mice buggers has stripped about a meter of loom tape, damaging some ECU plug wires and washer jet wiring! The car still starts and runs but will need to chop some new wires in and re wrap the loom.

Not happy! Hoovered a nest out behind my heater motor vent in the scuttle panel area too.

Had a good inspection inside the bay and inside the car, luckily all clear.

Time to lay some traps!

Pete

Pooh that's not good

When I worked for jaguar / landrover we lost a brand new RR sport due to mice, it had being sat at a storage compound awaiting sake, little rodents got in, destroyed the insides of all the seats and the loom.

Was more econimacal to use its as a parts car than it was to repair!!!

Not happy. Just put some traps down. Hopefully will catch the critters. Will need get some loom tape and dig out my soldering iron and old wiring loom and repair where required.

If its not one thing it's another eh?

MOT and service. £189. MOT straight through no probs. Done 5000 miles since last MOT. At the last MOT had to have new rear shocks and sinfe then have only rebuilt the rear spoiler and put a new connector on the speedo sensor cable (thanks Easypops). Not bad for a years motoring.

I didn't do these today, but a couple of weeks ago I sorted out a few niggles that have been annoying me on the C, other bits were just stuff I wanted to change. Had to travel from Manchester to Bridlington and cram it all into a landrover. So here they are

Niggle #1

Having an early spec bonnet on a VR6 with a broken striker that caused it to pop up on one side every now and then.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70413[/ATTACH]

New bonnet fitted, paints not spot on but I'll be getting it sorted sometime after Christmas

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70414[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70415[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70416[/ATTACH]

Niggle #2

Wrong/Busted slam panel, crumpled and paint falling off.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70417[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70418[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70419[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70420[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70421[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70422[/ATTACH]

Fresh slam panel

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70423[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70424[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70425[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70426[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70427[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70428[/ATTACH]

#3 Odd taillights

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70429[/ATTACH]

Standard lights on

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70430[/ATTACH]

Not so much a niggle, but I always wanted these and got them for a steal so I couldn't say no even though the originals were very clean

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70431[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70432[/ATTACH]

New Seats

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70433[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70434[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70435[/ATTACH]

Old aircon switch to heated seat switch

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70436[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70437[/ATTACH]

And also replaced a lot of switches/plastic trim that had been damaged over the year

All swapped done and swapped in a day :D

Over the last few days: started following 2CC's guide on the wiki for clutch/chain replacement. Front suspension is mostly removed and gearbox is dropped. Will swap the chains and install the new cams today, hopefully.

Cams and chains in. Top tensioner pad was frayed and missing its rivets at one end and the upper guide was in two pieces. No wonder the engine was so noisy...

Ok, so not just today but over the last week:

Removed front of car to access engine bay better.

Removed radiator and flushed through.

Removed fan cowling and cleaned back to bare metal ready for painting

Thoroughly cleaned engine bay and painted block. (spent about 4 days on that)

Replaced poly ribbed drive belt and checked tensioner/steering pump/water pump bearings.

Flushed through cooling system about 6 times (still dirty brown)

fixed heater control illumination, found power supply plug was not connected and lamp was loose also.

Filled in corrosion pitting where thermostat seals onto cylinder head

Replaced cracked thermostat housing and fitted new seals to horizontal tube and sensor housings.

Edited by kbtVR6
Forgot some bits.....

Cleaned up front crossmembers and painted

sprayed primer on radiator fans cowling.

painted engine plastic cover 'VW' blue and 'VR6-DOHC' red.

Edited by kbtVR6
added photo

Caught 2 mice today. Hopefully there are not many more!! Once I've rounded them up I can repair my looms

Not today but this week, broke it. A hose split throwing coolant everywhere, now with the hose temporarily fixed it runs like crap. Down on power and seems to intermittently cough and splutter. No ideas...

Failed again today to release a ball joint from a control arm. The other side came off so easily...

That looks great! What did you use? May I ask how hard It was to get off? My bolts are well and truly seized and access is crap.

I got the manifold off Goldie, so I'm not sure yet how hard it is to get it off the car! But I will let you know in a few days once I've replaced mine with this one.

2012-11-17_17-34-50_427.jpg

:)

I sheared the first bolt and the rest won't budge.

Now I'm stuck :(

If possible try warming the engine up, I e running it for a while

As a side note what length are the bolts?

I suspect I could supply some nice shiny stainless bolts to replace it with

Take front slam panel off. Use an Alan key ratchet thingy. Allen keys are useless and can never get them in square!