Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Yesterday - I popped into my local VW dealer to order an oil filter and sump nut/washer. To my eternal astonmishment they actually had them in stock and available over the counter. Mind you I think they know me by now and asked after my old Golf and the Corrado so maybe they knew I'd be back this time of year :D

Unfortunately when reversing back into the garage I noticed a couple of spots of dark fluid on the floor which I'm guessing is a small oil leak. Strangely it washed straight off the drive so I may be lucky with it being a weep from a coolant pipe and running off a dirty part of the engine. Anyway, the next job will be to take a look and see what's happening there. So I probably won't be driving it until it's warm and dry enough to get it onto the stands and take a look underneath. At least I don't need it as a daily :)

Yesterday - I popped into my local VW dealer to order an oil filter and sump nut/washer. To my eternal astonmishment they actually had them in stock and available over the counter. Mind you I think they know me by now and asked after my old Golf and the Corrado so maybe they knew I'd be back this time of year :D

Unfortunately when reversing back into the garage I noticed a couple of spots of dark fluid on the floor which I'm guessing is a small oil leak. Strangely it washed straight off the drive so I may be lucky with it being a weep from a coolant pipe and running off a dirty part of the engine. Anyway, the next job will be to take a look and see what's happening there. So I probably won't be driving it until it's warm and dry enough to get it onto the stands and take a look underneath. At least I don't need it as a daily :)

You might find that oily looking fluid is 'just' road salt & muck of the roads.Especially if it washes away with water

Today I have refitted my water pump with new o ring and bolts for it and the pulley wheel, refitted the belt and tensioner and lowered the engine back into place.

Then I broke one of the thermostat plastics, damn. I'll have to get a replacement now before I can do anything else.

You might find that oily looking fluid is 'just' road salt & muck of the roads.Especially if it washes away with water

Thanks. That's what I'm hoping. But it was damp but not really wet outside, and the car had just returned from a long run after being in the garage for a few weeks. So I'm doubtful. I'll find out when I brave the cold to get underneath it. I was lining up an oil change anyway so I need to get underneath shortly. It just means not driving it until I get the time to take a look.

It looks like it was simply this. I got under the car today and couldnt find anything wrong at all even when the engine got up to temperature. So that was a very pleasant surprise.

Then washed, polished and waxed it. Shiny, shiny :)

..spectacular day, got up at silly o'clock, washed the VR6 in the dark!..then T-Cut'd it and polished, got on the road for Ph Sunday Service at Goodwood. Clear blue skies, temp climbing to double figures, a nice boat down to the circuit (by the time we got there the Corrado was dirtier than before I washed it!), copious quantities of bacon, coffee and a nice eclectic mix of cars..good times. Mine was the only Corrado I spotted at the meet as well..

Did the Lupo GTI wiper conversion and sorted the blowing exhaust (turned out the downpipe to exhaust clamp had come loose).

Went for a drive, and saw my headlight is now off, pressed a bit on the headlight switch, and the dipped light was back. Took out the old style head light switch and took it apart, cleaned it up, nothing apart from the same reaction. Then took it completely apart and bent a few things - nothing apart from the same reaction - press a bit on the button, and the dipped main beam is back, but cannot really drive like that. So, I need a new old style head light switch. So went to VW dealer to buy one - nothing. Argh, darn VW and their LOUSY sparepart policy. Should have bought a Lotus instead. At least everything can be bought.

So, does anyone have a new old style head light switch? I don't have automatic driveing light, as my car is originally from Germany. 1991 zmk chassis number.

In fact a second hand one is also okay, as long as it is in good working order, and no melting down ;)

Cheers, and Merry Christmas,

Nolightfox.

Edited by Redfox

Went for a drive, and saw my headlight is now off, pressed a bit on the headlight switch, and the dipped light was back. Took out the old style head light switch and took it apart, cleaned it up, nothing apart from the same reaction. Then took it completely apart and bent a few things - nothing apart from the same reaction - press a bit on the button, and the dipped main beam is back, but cannot really drive like that. So, I need a new old style head light switch. So went to VW dealer to buy one - nothing. Argh, darn VW and their LOUSY sparepart policy. Should have bought a Lotus instead. At least everything can be bought.

So, does anyone have a new old style head light switch? I don't have automatic driveing light, as my car is originally from Germany. 1991 zmk chassis number.

In fact a second hand one is also okay, as long as it is in good working order, and no melting down ;)

Cheers, and Merry Christmas,

Nolightfox.

You could try 8v matt mate he was doing new switches which would be better for you I bought one and the quality is very good.

Thanks clumpy1, I'll think it over, but I would really prefer the old style switch, as I really dislike the facelifted ones. I also read positively on the remade new style ones from Matt. Price is of no concern at all, only the sparepart.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Thanks clumpy1, I'll think it over, but I would really prefer the old style switch, as I really dislike the facelifted ones. I also read positively on the remade new style ones from Matt. Price is of no concern at all, only the sparepart.

Cheers,

Redfox.

I understand mate not totally as I am still learning about these car's (didn't know there was 2 different styles of switch early/late but do now. Cheers james.

Hello James,

My bad, as I should have told that. Anyway the old style switches have a more angular look with some crossing lines on the surface, while the faceliftes model switches have a more slick flat surface with a small round bubble where the fingers press. Of course I may have to have facelifted one, but I would really prefer the old style to match the rest of the interior switches. I am new to Corrado's too btw. ;)

Merry Christmas,

Redfox.

Hello James,

My bad, as I should have told that. Anyway the old style switches have a more angular look with some crossing lines on the surface, while the faceliftes model switches have a more slick flat surface with a small round bubble where the fingers press. Of course I may have to have facelifted one, but I would really prefer the old style to match the rest of the interior switches. I am new to Corrado's too btw. ;)

Merry Christmas,

Redfox.

Thank's Redfox and the same to you it started very merry last nite according to my head!!Got a christmas party to go to tonight as well:drinking:more:drinking: well i am scottish :cuckoo:

All the best in twenty thirteen

James

busy day for me today i started off helping a mate fit a speedo cable to his rado then i started on mine ................. fitted a replacement single wiper mechanism (mines broken till the new year) then i fitted a replacement blower for the heater mines was noisey then i fitted a stereo redoing one of the speaker wires as io went thenrefitted the lower half of the passenger side dash (its bee out ages as been sorting out the soundprooofing) so all in all a good day apaprt from the fact that my dash lights now have stopped working :(

Just got her running again after changing chains and tensioners, swapping the coolant pump and fitting the new cams and other sundries (short shifter, headlamp loom)! Chuffed :)

Polished, tripplewaxed and gave it an extra couple of layers of MeGuiars something wonderstuff that should repell dirt and water better on top og wax layers. Same treatment for the wheels.

We'll see as it won't get out untill spring.

Right now I am looing for spares on the net... what a Christmas ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Refitted my left and right under trays with Black shallow head interior self tappers which do a good job of being hidden when viewed from the outside. I used Stainless self tappers previously which stuck out like a sore thumb.

Made another Carbonio pipe clamp/cover as the other one didn't hold it tight enough, this one has a Stainless hose clamp welded to it, very happy with this one.

Very nice looking work as always.

I hope your supplier of interior screws is better quality than the ones we seem to get through work : great for interiors but give it a week in outside conditons and they rust like a *******.

Replaced 5 year old Varta battery with a brand new Bosch heavy duty one, new Superbright headlight and sidelight bulbs, new Bosch Aero Wipers