Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Bought some strut braces off eBay the other day, fitted the rear, after moving the battery to the boot. Removed the centre dash panel to rewire all the gubbins behind after apparent attempts by consecutive owners to cock it all up! Then fitted a late black passenger seat to match the rear bench and cobra bucket.. That was all!

Today after the car's turned 18 years old and covered 149k miles I managed to break the sunroof! The bracket on the nearside runner has snapped, so it closes from being slid open fine but then won't open again, will tilt open but then won't close on the nearside! At least it's happened at the end of the summer so it may well now get left 'til next year, as I've managed to lever it into the shut position with a screwdriver!

When I do get round to repairing it what's worth changing on the sunroof mech whilst I have it out, as I hope to only be doing this once? Seem to be lots of threads that refer to the pre-existing threads, but the links to them don't seem to work and I haven't managed to track down the 'existing' threads yet (probably just need to spend a bit more time looking!)

Cleaned the headlining with cheap supermarket brand upholstery cleaner. It didn't look too dirty before I started, but once I had cleaned a small section the difference was incredible...Now looks like new and smells fragrant. Also changed original spec rear-wiper for an Aero type arm/blade to match the front.

That coolant Pete?

Got mine back on axle stands to sort the power steering, need to clean all the pipes through then fit a new pump and hopefully refil the system and that'll be it, fingers crossed :/

Ahhh! Next weakest link gone... Oil cooler hoses. Got a set of samcos to go on though so not all bad!

Ah Jolly good, a reason to flush it all out and refresh then chap :)

Oh if only. Everything has already been renewed with brand new parts, aux pump, radiator, all sensors, thermostat housing, main water pump, heater matrix etc.. :(

Picked up some fresh mirror glass from Halfrauds ( took a week to come in- allegedly the company manufactures to order, which would explain the £25 cost!) and fitted it over the old original chipped ones. Good snug fit and they havent fallen off yet!!..It's just standard flat glass, I wanted to get the blue tinted anti-dazzle glass but could only source from Germany which would have been well over €100 delivered!..

Gave my leather seats some Gliptone treatment, really brings out the leather smell. mmm

DSC06363.jpg

Fitted new steering wheel wife bought me for my birthday,

DSC06360.jpg

Continued my mission to clean the wheel arches

P1010933.jpg

Gave the car a nice coat of wax

DSC06359.jpg

DSC06361.jpg

All in all a good days work pampering the corrado

I'm going to fit a little rocker switch to power a Ring Double Socket Phone/Sat-Nav power supply at the weekend. Got the idea firmly in the Grey matter as to how to go about it, and it'll make it look a bit tidier. :)

Axcel - where was the steering wheel from. Looks nice and the leather on mine is starting to wear.
Hmmmm, looks like i wasn't the only one thinking this......

Axcel - where was the steering wheel from. Looks nice and the leather on mine is starting to wear.

I spotted it on ebay from a german seller called cars_dream.com. I cant see he has any more for sale at the moment but it appears he may be away until tomorrow so keep checking. In any event it was the following item:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lederlenkrad-Lenkrad-VW-Golf-3-VR6-GTI-Passat-Corrado-b-/130512184490?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D1878009413839071438%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26#ht_7220wt_1139

They send you a new refurbished steering wheel and you have to send them back your old one, it has to be the same style though it cant just be any old steering wheel. You also have to pay a 100 euros deposit on top of the price quoted, this is then refunded to you once they are in receipt of your old wheel.

I love mine, it really has a nice feel to it, like yours mine had worn quite badly and I wanted to keep the same standard style but just bring it up to date slightly. There was also a choice of colour for the stitching. The only thing the wheel doesn't come with is the horn ring but you just pop out the one on your existing wheel and switch it over its a 2 minute job.

Cheers dude.

So its 204 euros plus your wheel and then you get the new wheel and 100 euros back?

How much was postage to Germany do you know?

Yes mate its 204 euros, but once you pay this amount they then send you the nice new wheel, you then have 7 days to put the new wheel on your car and return your old wheel, once they are in receipt they then credit you back with 100 euros. Postage from germany was another 18 euros on top.

At the current exchange rate it works out to the equivalent of £100 for the wheel and the postage once you are refunded. But you also have to take into account the cost of returning your existing wheel to them in germany which if I remember was around £19. But cant be sure.

You could perhaps look at costs of having your existing wheel refurbished over here as may be cheaper, also seen some really good results from people using various leather repair kits, but I am really happy with it and it was a great present from the mrs.

Edited by axcel01uk

Yeah thats a point it prob would be cheaper to have it refurbished over here. Its not a daily car so i can live without a steering wheel for a week.

What did you do to get the arches that clean?

Got to say your Corrado looks immaculate. Love it, its so clean and doesnt look like there's a mark on it.

Edited by Critical_Mass

Yeah thats a point it prob would be cheaper to have it refurbished over here. Its not a daily car so i can live without a steering wheel for a week.

What did you do to get the arches that clean?

Got to say your Corrado looks immaculate. Love it, its so clean and doesnt look like there's a mark on it.

Cleaned the arches using just an all purpose cleaner and a toilet brush and autoglym tar spot remover for any difficult to remove bits. Then just sprayed aerospace protectant 303 on the wheel liners and any other black plastics to bring them up.

Thanks for the compliments, had the car resprayed at the end of last year it was in the body shop for 3 months, its not my daily driver and only comes out the garage in the dry so its pretty easy to keep clean.

Removed and cleaned the G60 intercooler. two things I noticed were that,

'A' the bolts that hold on the front bumper are screwed in by he-man

'B' the G60 intercooler is really ****y.

I got my switch done.:dance: I ran a wire from the cigarette lighter with a blade connector to the power wire on the unit and hid everything

in the gearstick surround. Surprised how much room there was in there. Cut a small rectangle to house the swich and it all looks a bit neater

than having wires all over the place. Not a life-changing mod or anything that's going to set the Corrado world on fire, but there ya go.... i'm happy! :geek:

Edited by VR-Sixy