Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Broke down! :(

Got a mile away from home when i could smell burning. Looked in mirror and rear wheels were smoking away - handbrake and froze on. so had to get towed home.

They seem to have released more or less now - i think. But the handbrake isnt right. Going to have to strip the brakes when snows gone.

Shove a new set of handbrake cables on it, that ought to sort the issue out. I used to have to leave mine running for a while so the underside of the car warmed up and the cables defrosted.

Yeah i may have to. Is it as simple as i think to change them. Undo them at the mechanism under the trim in the car and also on the caliper. Then slide them out of the tubes they run through under the car - all in reverse to refit?

Yeah, only thing is the metal tubes they run through from inside the car to the underside can corrode causing the end of the cables to stick inside them. I ended up having to melt the end of the cable then drill the remains out of the tubes, nothing too serious, just a pain in the arse.

Yeah, only thing is the metal tubes they run through from inside the car to the underside can corrode causing the end of the cables to stick inside them. I ended up having to melt the end of the cable then drill the remains out of the tubes, nothing too serious, just a pain in the arse.

Noted :salute:

I'll take a look once the snow has melted a bit. Cheers!

best way to get the end of the plastic guides out of those metal tubes is slide the metal tubes out through the gromit in the floor and just get a blow torch on the end of the metal tube while you pull the plastic guides out, they should come out nice and cleanly, i had to replace both of mine last week, it's also worth giving them a rub down and a decent coat of hammerite to stop it happening again.

I found the cheap eichers handbrake cables from euro car parts where better than the vw oem ones and they seem to give a much firmer hand brake feel.

best way to get the end of the plastic guides out of those metal tubes is slide the metal tubes out through the gromit in the floor and just get a blow torch on the end of the metal tube while you pull the plastic guides out, they should come out nice and cleanly, i had to replace both of mine last week, it's also worth giving them a rub down and a decent coat of hammerite to stop it happening again.

I found the cheap eichers handbrake cables from euro car parts where better than the vw oem ones and they seem to give a much firmer hand brake feel.

Thanks Coolrado! How much are the cables?

Thanks Coolrado! How much are the cables?

£8.09 each plus vat for euro car parts,

I did replace them about 3 years ago and used the genuine vw ones but the rubber bellows on the end of the cables had fallen apart and allowed water into the lining so they had both rusted up, the bellows on the eicher ones seem better quality to me but i suppose time will tell.

OK cool. Thanks guys

I've been out in the car today and all seems well, even the handbrake is back to how it was before. Though, i think i'll still see about changing the cables.

My car hasn't had a steering wheel for 4 days now. The metal bit that knocks of the indicators off has snapped off the boss so I'm waiting to get some liquid metal to weld a new bit on :(

Bought and fitted a new starter motor. Bump starting down a snowbound cul de sac is ar*epuckering stuff. Still trying to thaw my hands out.

DE ICED IT AND DROVE IT :D

Likewise, drove it :)

I had 3 to choose from (4 if I count being fully comp on Kips 8v), guess which one I took out?????

fitted new ngk plugs, cleaned properly around the airbox and around the bay generally :)

discovered the bonnet earth strap had bust :|

Replaced the passenger side headlight glass before driving home - stone strike had cracked it into two pieces. Time to order some of those headlight protectors I think... :?

Been really busy on the car today!

Replaced gearbox mount (+ most of the bolts) with a new, OEM mount.

Replaced rear engine mount (+bolts), with Vibratechnics mount.

Replaced earth strap from coil to block.

Fitted bonnet earth strap as the car's not had one since I've owned it.

Fitted battery cover (Christmas present 8) )

Sorted mate's Golf rear pads and then looked at changing my sticking throttle cable and found the lever at the top of the peddle wasn't in-line with the cable run, percussion adjustment carried out, sorted. 8)

Then found the throttle butterfly is sticking when I was so sure it was the cable at fault from previous checks - wasted money there then.

Got cold and dark so cleaning it tomorrow.

modded an exhaust cam to be used as inlet, not sure about the new timing mark I have done anyway :cuckoo:

any help on this?

Got my late christmas present - pressed plates from Dubmeister :D

oh... and got rescued by Jim, classic non start of my car and being so feeble I couldn't get my temp sensor off. Jim happend to walk by in Sainsburys car park and helps me out :notworthy:

:lol: