Sign in to follow this  
Frostee

Lowering Springs Upgrade

Hi All, I have just purchased some new lowered springs and am trying to fit them what i need to know is on the main strut assembly there is a spacer on the damper shaft just above the coil spring (Metal sleve) is this actually a clearance fit over the thread of the damer or is it actually threaded itsef onto the damper as i can not seem to remove it to get the spring off. I am wondering if it is just corroded onto the thread or if it is actually screwed on at production? Any ideas?

Frostee- not actually sure which bit your on about,

Take the strut off the car, Clamp the spring together, then the strut rod

itself needs to be held by either the VAG tool, 7mm(i think it 7 of top of my head) spanner or mole grips, Then you need to undo the metal sleeve that has two little bits sticking up, with either mole grips or punch/chiesel (it will be very tight),and is threaded on, this is where you hold the rod at the top or the whole thing will turn remove the spring fit, and refit the new one.

:D

seeing as your going to all the trouble of lowering springs, get some bonrath lowerin top mounts for tha little big extra.

sorted!! :D

Which model/year C do you have?

The early type front struts have a slotted (and threaded) bush that clamps the top-mount and top spring plate on to the damper shaft. The tool to undo this can be bought at Halfords.

There is also a washer that goes under the top spring plate.

Ok, yesterday was a bad day, I am only at the point of actually having the rears out as yet and these I can not even get the metal spacer to turn on the thread as the damper is spinning, Can you tell me the exact tool that is avalible from halfords for the front stuts and maybe part number if possible as I do not want to touch them unless I have all the tools required. Is there a special tool to get the rear spacer off? somebody mentioned a tool that holds the shaft while you unscrew it, again what tool is it and whats the part number? Lastly what do these bonrath lowerin top mounts for tha little bit extra do? as the springs I bought are supposed to lower the car by 35-40MM will these then drop it more and if so will the tyres or anything like that start to rub? one more thing where can I get them from? lots of questions but a big Thanks guys for all your help so far. BTW the model I have is a Karmaan 1991 G60.

Frostee, the fronts are harder to do than the rears if your not to sure. I would suggest book it in for the kit to be done, the book time is 1.4 hr fronts and 1.hrs for rears, If you do go ahead with post some pics on here so we can see which bits your having probs with.

The rear shocks should have 17mm socket on the top of them that just unscrews, if the whole rod is turning you can but a pair of mole grips round the rod (must be near the though as any marks that are left by the grips if low down will split the seal in shocker)

Good luck, and becareful with them springs :D

Up rated top mounts are better quality and the lowering ones will drop the car that little bit more, seeing as you are replacing the springs you should go the whole hog

Top mounts, Bump stops, and Uprated bushes, the lowering springs are stiffer and the loading is transmitted more into the body of the car, thus uprating the other components in the suspension is both wise and better for the handling anyway.

Hi Frostee, you live in Sandhurst Surrey? If yes this is not far from where i live in West Sussex. I have the tooling you require to complete this task. Can you bring the struts to my workshop? I would be happy to get your items fitted onto the struts call it a freebie, glad to help a frustrated stricken sole! :lol:

:shock: :D Hi 16VG60 can you give me a contact number and address for yourself, also not to sound too cheeky as your offer to help me with me rears is bloody fab, but how about if I was to get the struts back into the car and drive it over, seeing as your close that I was wondering would it be possible to persuade you to get you to help me fit all four springs at your workshop seeing as you have the facilities? and in return for your kind generosity I will supply you with some beers for your trouble, let me know asap and Ill get over to you asap. You can mail me your contact details and address if you prefer instead of posting them here my e-mail is as follows:

mailto:[email protected]

Many Thanks

Cheeky B**g*r :p . Still if you don't ask you don't get. Just for the bare arsed cheek i gonna say YES :lol: ! Details on their way.

fair play Frostee!!! what a result you had! :D

16VG60 - fair play to you to! what a cheek eh!! pmsl :lol:

- my car needs a 20v turbo engine transplant.... if i bring my car down and a four pack of stella can u sort it? :lol:

i'll bring a barrell if you can rebuild my charger :wink:

sorry couldnt resist! :lol:

A moment of weakness and empathy with a fellow enthusiast, still if we can't do this once in a while what's it all about? Hey the alcohol barter thing might have some mileage after all :lol: Easy lads though you have looking like an alky to forum visitors :lol: Anyway the going rate for a 20V conversion is a pub :p :lol:

:shock: :D Hi 16VG60, have you sent your details to me mail? can wait to meet up already sound like a fantastic chap to help me out. BTW I think the lager thing spreading is now getting out of hand :p , however I think not a pub for a 20V converstion more like a Complete Brewery would suffice lol.

:D 8) Hi All, Just to let you know that John done a superb job on my car, getting the stuts off was easy and the fronts came apart as expected, we still had a little trouble from the spacers off the rear struts however, but the main man got them off for me and we managed to sit the corrado a lot lower than before. A big thank you to John for his precious time and hard work, and also for taking me out for a spin in his modded corrado (FF I might add). Also A big thank you for all your support with this thread. Respect is due, get yourselves down and see John great chap and knows whats he is doing. Happy Modding!! :D